LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Covert)

Covert

Whats the best driver for my MSI with geforce 8600 ddr2?

DEV407 01211025

Drivers with WQHL are much better than the ones that dont have?

They follow Microsoft's driver standards and most likely will be more stable than non-WHQL (little bugs here and there than MS finds) but won't necessarily be faster.

And you haven't posted a Dox 180.70 test yet. :) :P

I have exams and I'm not motivated to bench all the requests until a newer driver comes out :P All of DOX's drivers so far have been an improvement over the original in performance, so you can use that as a rule of thumb.

Hi Covert,

There is one more thing i would like to ask from you. I am having a Dell XPS M1530 laptop and i wanted to update the driver for my laptop. But each time i download the drivers from this website (LaptopVideo2GO) the performance of my laptop goes from worst to horrible and i have to rollback to the original driver which dell updated on its website. Could you advice me regarding this. Is there anything wrong i am doing..........

I have run the benchmark on my laptop with the updated driver from dell.com and i got a score of 4094.

These are the below drivers which i tried for my laptop and the results are horrible.

Please help me.............

Many thanks in advance

Try the latest set of drivers, and disable powermizer, always speeds up everything for me when I get an underperforming driver. In regards to the original DELL drivers; OEM driver are tailored specifically to your card and generally take advantage of it better than drivers built for the 200 GTX series with a modified inf :)

Edited by Covert

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Covert

• coolcop06

• Mushu

• wulfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest UnderDesire

hello

why does my 8600m gt downclock at 68 degree Ceslsius?

It downclocks from 475/400 at 275/200

i have disabled powemizer but the issue is not solved

ps. sorry for my bad english

hello

why does my 8600m gt downclock at 68 degree Ceslsius?

It downclocks from 475/400 at 275/200

i have disabled powemizer but the issue is not solved

ps. sorry for my bad english

Disable powermizer by setting PerfLevelSrc to 2222 instead.

Also in rivatuner force constant performance level for whatever speed you want.

i wonder i get so poor results ..

i tested a lot of drivers and the best bench of mark06 was 3.598 with 178.08

but a guy with SAME notebook ( yes the same) got like 3700~

i wonder why he got more.. o.o

if someone knows...

You have to count running processes and their memory usage to see if the two are even close comparable - and so on.

Hey Covert,

you think u could bench the new GTA IV drivers the 180.84? I went to 180.84 from 180.7 saw about a 50 point increase in my 3dmark score. I was wondering if you'd get the same, we have pretty similar systems with a 8600 256mb DDR2, and as far as I've been experiencing, 180.84 is much more stable than 180.7 as I haven't had any BSODs that I was getting occasionally with 180.7. Thanks!

Dox's 180.84, 1280x1024, no AA, no overclock

3DMark06: 4368

SM2/HDR: 3384

Ok, just benched 180.84 :) BEST Crysis drivers yet. I won't get around to benching all of my requests until my exams are over which shouldn't be too long! I'll have all of Christmas holiday to bench!

Edited by Covert

Just an update on real-time usage of Dox's 180.84: it handled great last night in WAR and CSS, no complaints here. :)

DOX 180.84 drivers gave pretty big performance boost in gta4, haven't tried it elsewhere yet though. I also oc'd it and currently running at 650, 1300, 525 (3dmark06 score of 5152 @ 1280x800). The only question i have: what should i use to keep an eye on my temperatures, because different utilities give me different readings. For example: everest says atm 54, ik8fan 44 and rivatuner 51 (GPU). Which one should i trust? Same with cpu: ik8fan and rightmark cpu clock both say 36, everest says 41. (CPU isn't that important cause i don't plan to clock it, even if i could, but still curious).

Edit: noticed there is a 8600m gt clocking thread so sorry for posting in (kinda) wrong place. Can't delete my post though :)

Edited by kiisu

Thanks Covert! Good luck on the exams!

I wonder what results will give the re-released 180.84. Just take your time Covert.

using the 180.84 drivers on my m1730 ( 8700's in sli ) i get a score of 3357 in 3dmark vantage when on previous drivers i got a score of 2898... so they seem to be helping.. we'll see how good they are in the games I play ( CSS and LineageII .. not real demanding )

vantage3357aey3.jpg

w993.png

Edited by GodfreyOuwens

using the 180.84 drivers on my m1730 ( 8700's in sli ) i get a score of 3357 in 3dmark vantage when on previous drivers i got a score of 2898... so they seem to be helping.. we'll see how good they are in the games I play ( CSS and LineageII .. not real demanding )

vantage3357aey3.jpg

w993.png

previous drivers you mean, dox 180.70?

That big difference may mean that the slower may not support PhysX properly or at all.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking also.. It was a pretty big jump, and the quality doesnt seemed to have dropped any if at all.. I will turn Physx off completely and rerun the test to see what results I get..

On my score of about 2000 PhysX adds 100 - 200 points.

A 5-10% increase could be helpful if it is noticed during game play.

On my score of about 2000 PhysX adds 100 - 200 points.

Must I turn off PhysX to gain max.performance and higher FPS? :)

Hi guys..

First of all i removed 180.7 from my 8600m gt!! It was f****g hostile with my poor inspiron1720!!! It crashed several times!!Never happened!!Only with this "crap"!!

NOw I've just installed 180.84 but now i would to install the dox optimised ones..It's a good idea???

And if i remove physix i will have better performaces??

Thnx

Edited by mango84

hi

I should like to be a help.

I have 2 GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of memory each dedicated in sli mode and the settings of GTA IV never appears to be the total 512mb someone can help me