LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen Problems with Acer Aspire 8920G

realmickhoy

Guest Mr. von Francois

The only solution as of now would be to connect your laptop to a external LCD screen, while waiting for a solution to this issue. The FN & F6 suggestion works for a short while, until the times of dark screens occur more often until it takes a few seconds to switch back to black.

As of yet, I have searched for a solution to this issue for a while and also I haven;t received new feedback from Acer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• zipper

• markanizer

• Acer_Class_Action

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sammy

Same issue here. Aspire 8920...installed Windows 7 two days ago; all was fine untill I started up two hours ago. An external monitor shows all is well with everything but my lapop's monitor. Frustrating...

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sammy

My acer has been repaired!

I took it to a store in toronto, they showed me the problem...there's a short red wire connecting to the bulb that was faulty, it disconnected whenever any pressure was put on it. They couldn't solder it so they had to replace the bulb (long white tube across the bottom of the screen).

Good luck fixing yours!

Has anyone found the solution yet?

I too have the same identical problem

Guest duckpond

i too have the same issue with my 8920g,,,, is anyone else astounded by how so many people with this laptop, have the EXACT same problem?

anaway, i have ordered an lcd cable and inverter

im hoping one of them will fix it, if not.. im gonna throw the thing off a wall

Guest abraxis

Its the 2 CCFL Lamps in the Display. As they,re getting older the voltage they use is too high an the inverterboard shuts down for security reasons. You can just replace the 2 CCFL lamps.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kalamides

I don't think that the lamp has anything to do with this. Today I took my laptop to an authorized acer service and they said that the LCD and LCD cable are done for! I did some checking and it seems that all that did this repair had no more trouble... I'm going tomorrow to find out the price.

I read above about some red cable at the lamp or something like that... ok, if applying pressure, but mine turns off even when I move my mouse...

Guest kalamides

ACER ASPIRE 8920G

LCD PANEL.TFT

LK.18406.001

LCD PANEL.18.4"WUXGA.GL.2-LAMP

Price 467 Euro without VAT

ACER ASPIRE 8920G

CABLE

50.AP50N.011

CABLE.LCD.18.4"WUXGA.2LAMP

Price 45 Euro without VAT

- so this is what I found out today. This is a lot of money for me and I this that for the others too... Anyway I spoke with a neighbor of mine that really knows how to repair laptops and I'll try to change the invertor and lcd cable. I hope this will solve the problem. I don't know why could the LCD be faulty... only the lamp goes off so... I'll return Monday with new details.

Guest duckpond

forget buying a new lcd cable and invertor, its not them

i bought those two items and it didnt fix the issue

its the lcd that is faulty and needs to be replaced

i hooked up another acer screen and it worked fine, so the fault is with the lcd screen, replace that and it would more than likely fix it

ive wasted money buying the new parts that didnt work, but it was trial and error

at least we know now that to fix this issue....replace the lcd display

hope this helps someout out there from wasting money

It's pretty easy to diagnose if it's inverter/lamp or screen fault - just boot up and look if there's a faint picture left (using some light source helps). If there is (like on my Amilo 4438) then the screen is OK. I never bothered to fix that fault, just used an external screen until I upgraded.

Exact same problem here.

It's been like this for 12 months now but when it first started happening I had to get a new laptop quickly because of the work I was doing.

It's now my second machine but still works as I said. It seems though that you have to get the thing warmed up to stop the flickering.

I use the same Fn-F6-Fn combination and start with the screen dimmed down, gradually increasing brightness as it becomes more stable.

Oddly with the recent hot weather it sometimes didn't need any fiddling at all.

It's definately not a driver or operating system issue. I've had Vista, Ubuntu and now Win7 installed, all with the same problem.

Acer should sort these machines out for free!

Guest kalamides

Thank you for your reply! I think I'll just keep on working on the external monitor... 500 euro for a display it's just not worth it! Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

hi all!!

I had same problem on mine 8920g, I didn't find any solution, so I checked Acer side, I notice they released new BIOS few days ago. Downloaded and installed, and my laptop start working fine.

link toacer site. just try and let as know is it working in Your case...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I just hit by the same problem. I called Acer and also told me to pay the 199 and go to Mississauga to fix it up.

Any recommendation. I would appreciate your help it is important and urgent.

Thanks

Mark N

Richmond Hill, Ontario

Guest Andrew Wilson

HI,

Thanks for all the info everyone. I just purchased a new inverter. I have found that if i apply pressure to the right side of the lower part of the screen wher the inverter is internnaly installed, the screen stays on. I have also found that after pressing the Fn F6 many many times with great frustration sometimes it styas on, as if you are fooling the screen. The screen works because i can see the screen faintly in the background, therefore suggesting that the backlight is the problem or the inverter supplying it with power. if applying pressure to it solves the problem, then could it be faulty contacts that are the problem?

Has anyone tried the clearing the static from the Ram solution posted by someone? if so, how did it work?

Andrew

Yip i'm another person that has the Aspire 8920G and today (8th sept) the LCD was not on. i also found that pressing CTRL-F6 brought the display on for a few seconds or so and then back off... looks like it is a backlight problem but why so many people suddenly (from dec.) been getting this exact same problem... ACER Problem obviously. It's not the OS as someone also pointed out as it does it on the bios screen too...

Wonder what Acer are going to do about this.... number one computer seller...yeah right, not anymore once word of this gets out!

i've decreased the brightness to the lowest setting and so far (past 5 minutes) the screen (backlight) has stayed on.... wonder if there is a lifespan of the backlight and once it gets older (i've had my laptop for 2 and a half years) that the shorts out on overheating or something.... anyway try reducing the backlight brightness to lowest setting and see how you all get on...

found out from a colleague that he had the same problem with this aspire with almost the same model number. In his case the fluoro tube was dying, and eventually even at low brightness it stopped working.

The tubes are really cheap but are rather difficult to change. But if you are brave and don't mind delaminating an LCD, you can get them here:

http://www.pchub.com/uph/category/619/LCD-TV-CCFL-Tube.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Again,

None of the above lasted very long, but when I turned the brightness down after pressing Fn + F6 then any key (i know you may have to be quick) it has lasted 2 days. Maybe something to do with the inverter or backlight being overloaded?

Cheers

Hi there,

I had the same problem with the same model and I was desperate because I live in Saudi Arabia and there is no acer service center here. I did what u suggested and its ok for now. I'll order a new backlight and inverter board just and keep just in case.

Thanx again

• 2 months later...
Guest niemand

Hi there,

I had the same problem with the same model and I was desperate because I live in Saudi Arabia and there is no acer service center here. I did what u suggested and its ok for now. I'll order a new backlight and inverter board just and keep just in case.

Thanx again

Hello

I have the same problem, but mine is acer aspire one.

Dont be cool. Push acer, get an attorney, sue acer, individually or together.

Now that i know this is their problem, i will immediately contact a lawyer to start the trial.

Thanks to all for informing your situations.

And good luck.