LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Modding 101 - Missing Optimus Device IDs

Nautis1100

Quick Info: If you have an Alienware M11xR2, Gateway ID49C01H/ID49C08u, Quanta TW9, Clevo B5100M/Sager NP512, or ASUS Eee 1215n that you want to get working with 258.96 Verde follow the Easy Install Instructions below. The Information before the easy install instructions are for modding your own driver.

It has come to my attention that some Optimus notebooks do not work with the latest Verde drivers. AFAIK this is because the OEM for the notebook has not approached (and rumor has it paid) Nvidia for inclusion in the Verde driver program. Ironically in the two of these that I have seen so far the only thing really missing is the proper Device ID strings. So if you have an Optimus notebook that the new Verde drivers do not work with let me know. The Device ID string from your Nvidia GPU and original INF from the latest working drivers would be most helpful.

Instructions to find the Device ID and INF if you do not have a notebook supported by Verde.

To find the and paste the Device ID:

Open Control Panel - Device Manager -> Display Adapters -> NVIDIA Geforce.... -> Details Tab -> Hardware IDs --> Right click second one and choose copy and then paste it in the reply here.

To find the INF if you cannot locate the inf/driver online:

Click start and in the box that says "search for programs and files" type cmd and hit enter

This should open up a command prompt at the command prompt type the following:

pnputil -e

This will list all drivers installed on your system and the corresponding inf file names.

Look through this list for

Driver Package Provider: NVIDIA

Class: Display Adapter

the Published Name should be the inf you need to find. The inf should be located in C:\Windows\inf

If you paste those two things here I can compare the Inf file you posted to the one in the latest Verde set and see if it is just the Device ID that is missing or something more.

Instructions on how to modify the install information file (INF) to include the notebooks listed that are not currently supported by Verde.

The notebooks that do not include proper Device ID strings for Optimus currently are:

Alienware M11xR2

Gateway ID49C01H/ID49C08u

Quanta TW9

Clevo B5100M/Sager NP512

ASUS Eee 1215n

NOTE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS FOR 258.96 IT MAY NEED TO BE UPDATED FOR 260.63.

You can get these notebooks working by doing a simple Hardware ID modification to the proper file. (OR USE THE EASY INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS BELOW)

For the Gateway ID49C01H/ID49C08u

Open the file NVAC.INF in the Verde driver folder

Under

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

you need to include the following device id string (paste the following)

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.22% = Section020, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_04341025 ;ID49C01H-ID49C08U

Under

[strings]

you need to include the following device id string name (paste the following)

NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.22 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M            "

Be sure to include the large space after 330M and ".

For the Alienware M11xR2

Open the file NVDM.INF in the Verde driver folder

Under

%NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.01% = Section050, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CAF&SUBSYS_04651028 ;M11xR2

Under

[strings]

NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M"

For the Quanta TW9

Open the file NVQU.INF in the Verde driver folder

Under

%NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.02% = Section030, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CAF&SUBSYS_0813152D ;TW9

Under

[strings]

NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.02 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M "

For the Clevo B5100M/Sager NP512

Open the file NVCV.INF in the Verde driver folder

Under

you will see it already has

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.04% = Section044, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_71101558

highlight that entire line and paste the following over it

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.03% = Section045, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_41011558 ;Clevo B5100M/Sager NP512
%NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.04% = Section045, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_71101558 ;Clevo B5100M/Sager NP512
%NVIDIA_DEV.0A35.01% = Section045, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A35&SUBSYS_41111558 ;Clevo B5100M/Sager NP512

Under

[strings]

you will see it already has

NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.04 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   "

highlight that entire line and paste the following over it

NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.03 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M  "
NVIDIA_DEV.0A29.04 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   "
NVIDIA_DEV.0A35.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M"

For the ASUS Eee 1215n

Open the file NVAM.INF in the Verde driver folder

Under

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A76.01% = Section080, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A76&SUBSYS_84461043

Under

[strings]

NVIDIA_DEV.0A76.01 = "NVIDIA ION "

The latest that works well with Optimus as of posting this is 258.96 Verde WHQL. I have attached INFs with the above edits for the International version of 258.96 Verde WHQL.

EASY INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS: 258.96 Verde WHQL Optimus Install Instructions

Download the 258.96 WHQL Verde International Drivers (English is included)

Download the Optimus_MissingHWID_INFs.zip that is attached to this post.

Run the 258.96_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international.exe file and keep the default path. (C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinVista_Win7_64\International)

When the driver installation starts click cancel and exit it.

Extract the INFs contained in Optimus_MissingHWID_INFs.zip to the location you extracted the driver in the folder Display (C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display\)

You should now be able to run setup.exe in C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display and install the drivers.

Optimus_MissingHWID_INFs.zip

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nautis1100

• loosh.iii

• chainer1

• B.tuned

Guest Alvin

After changing the .inf, the 258.96 installed correctly and displayed it as 258.9 in the nvidia control panel, but when I try play combat arms using the 330m, it eventually crashes less then half the match, is there a way to fix this?

Btw I'm using the gateway id49c

the dl link for "258.96 Beta Verde International Drivers" is not working

Fixed it.

Glad it worked. Starting with 258.96 there should be an option in the control panel to activate a taskbar utility where you can see if the nvidia GPU is being utilized by Optimus and some other info.

Guest Guest

Having trouble doing this :). I'm on a Gateway ID49C01H. I kind of understand. But is there a specific place do I have to paste under the thing?

Easiest way is to start from "258.96 Beta Optimus Install Instructions" down and follow the instructions. The info at the top is for those who want to mod their own.

Guest Guest

Easiest way is to start from "258.96 Beta Optimus Install Instructions" down and follow the instructions. The info at the top is for those who want to mod their own.

I tried that still didnt work. Also, when I extract the files to Display should I copy and replace it? Thanks.

pls find id for GTS 360M if is it possible :-P

i managed to enable intel GMA HD on my g51jx

Do you get video on your notebook display with Intel HD? How did you enable it?

You can paste the hardware id of yours following the instructions above under "Instructions to find the Device ID and INF if you do not have a notebook supported by Verde."

Guest kwangsub

hi. yesterday i just buy a id49co1h, and i was intalled GTA4,,, because GTA4 always catch a intel graphic HD ;;;;;

how do i fix it..

by DYI vidock software http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/500554-does-hm55-have-switchable-graaphics-2.html

its not fully working now but im working on it :)

The only issue you may run into is that the Intel graphics output may not be wired to the output (HDMI, VGA, DVI, LCD) correctly. Not sure how that vidock works though.

I tried that still didnt work. Also, when I extract the files to Display should I copy and replace it? Thanks.

make sure you run the setup.exe in the Display folder and not the one in the International folder.

Hello I have a Quanta TW9 with a Geforce GT 335m and Intel HD Graphics. The optimus drivers from the cd bundled with my notebook are working but I cant install the newest verde drivers. My hardware id is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CAF&SUBSYS_0813152D

I also attached the .inf from the optimus driver of my cd.

Thank you!

NVQU.INF

Hello I have a Quanta TW9 with a Geforce GT 335m and Intel HD Graphics. The optimus drivers from the cd bundled with my notebook are working but I cant install the newest verde drivers. My hardware id is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CAF&SUBSYS_0813152D

I also attached the .inf from the optimus driver of my cd.

Thank you!

Try this and see if it works. These instructions are also for 258.96.

For the Quanta TW9

Open the file NVQU.INF in the Verde driver folder

Under

%NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.02% = Section030, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CAF&SUBSYS_0813152D ;TW9

Under

[strings]

NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.02 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M "

--

There are a couple of code differences between what is in the Verde INF and your original INF.

The Verde INF is missing

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm",PreferCoprocOverHybrid,%REG_DWORD%,1

under [section030]

The Verde INF has under [section030]

HKR,,EnableCoprocPowerControl,%REG_DWORD%,0x04

and your original INF does not.

So if you are going to edit the INF yourself I suggest trying the instructions listed above and if you have any issues try adding the PreferCoprocOverHybrid line under Section030 or removing the EnableCoprocPowerControl. Chances are everything will be fine just using the instructions above.

I will try to post a new zip with the NVQU.inf in it if and when I have time. (Assuming it works that is.)

My NVDIA driver still won't be the main driver. It's still saying that Intel GMA is. HELP.

Gonna need more info. What notebook are you using (manufacturer/model)? What version of Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit)? What version of the nvidia drivers?

Guest CDB-Man

I'm about to buy the Gateway ID49C01H. When I ran dxdiag on the floor model at the store, It showed the Intel Chipset as the current device. Will your ID49C01H fix make it so dxdiag recognizes the NVIDIA card?