LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 6800 And Vista Dec CTP

Guest Mark

Hello folks, been using this site alot to get the latest drivers for my GeForce Go 6800 for Windows XP however I am testing the new version of Windows and currently the driver support is quite poor. There are Nvidia drivers included with Vista however not ones compatible with the GeForce 6800 Go.

I have included the INF file from the NVIDIA folder, I assume all that needs doing is for it to be altered a bit (but I'm not 100% sure about that :) )

Reagrds,

- Mark

nv_LH.inf

I've made a modded INF for 75.03 Vista.

Have a look in the 70's driver section.

I've made a modded INF for 75.03 Vista.

Have a look in the 70's driver section.

According to Nvidia, the 75.xx Alpha drivers are not compatible with Vista 5270 (Dec CTP) and later builds. Only the older ones. Not sure why exactly, and there is no news of Nvidia releasing a new alpha/beta for the newer builds. :)

I've got the GeForce Go 7800 GTX in my rig and Im SOL as well. Talk about frustrating.

If you want to experiment, you can try modifying the December CTP nvidia driver by adding your 7800 hardware ID. Or you can just force it to install by unchecking the box that says "Show compatible hardware."

If you want to experiment, you can try modifying the December CTP nvidia driver by adding your 7800 hardware ID. Or you can just force it to install by unchecking the box that says "Show compatible hardware."

Im going to give a few of these things a try. Where do I get the 7800 Hardware ID?

You can get it from any driver that supports your video card. Look at the bottom of the inf and find the line that lists your card, then use that number to identify the corresponding hardware ID in the list at the top of the inf. You'll need to copy both of those lines to their corresponding places in the Vista inf.

Easier to just uncheck the "compatible driver" box and tell vista You have a 6800.

Edited by LSudlow

You can get it from any driver that supports your video card. Look at the bottom of the inf and find the line that lists your card, then use that number to identify the corresponding hardware ID in the list at the top of the inf. You'll need to copy both of those lines to their corresponding places in the Vista inf.

Easier to just uncheck the "compatible driver" box and tell vista You have a 6800.

Ok, I will give that a shot.

I tried just about every driver option in there. I tried vanilla 7800 GTX, Go 6800 Ultra, vanilla 6800..... none of them worked right in a big way.

By any chance do you know where MS stores the inf files for the built in drivers in Windows??

I think they're in Windows\Inf which is a hidden folder.

I think they're in Windows\Inf which is a hidden folder.

Ok, I should have known that. I'm gonna make this thing work if it kills me. I will post the results as soon as I get somewhere. :)

Ok, I should have known that. I'm gonna make this thing work if it kills me. I will post the results as soon as I get somewhere. :)

Well, I found the right inf. Its nv_DM.inf for the mobile chipsets. I added my cards info from the laptopvideo2go inf, but its still a no go. For some reason its still not listing the Go 7800 that I added to the inf. Is there another step that I missed maybe?

You need to add the appropriate lines to both the top and the bottom of the inf. The top is the hardware ID, the bottom is the text string that identifies your card.

You need to add the appropriate lines to both the top and the bottom of the inf. The top is the hardware ID, the bottom is the text string that identifies your card.

Yeah, I did both. I also added them to the nv_LH.inf. That worked better and allowed me to select the card, but after reboot I got the yellow circle + exclamation on the driver in dev manager. Error says it couldnt load the driver.

I found that the drivers in the Dec CTP are very new/bleedy edge. The version is 85.05.... newer than any release that I know of.

I've managed to get my GeForce 6800 Go working in Vista using the newer drivers, I've attatched the INF I made for reference.

*However* I have a very odd problem. Take a look at this picture:

newimage8dr.th.jpg

As you can see, the bottom part of my desktop is missing, for some reason the correct resolution isn't getting displayed, any one got any ideas why this is happening?

Reagrds,

- Mark

Sorry can't upload the INF, getting the following error

"The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error."

Basically in nv_LH.inf I added the lines:

%NVIDIA_NV41.DEV_00C8.1% = nv_NV3x_mobile,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab] PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00C8

In the [NVIDIA.Mfg] section

And:

NVIDIA_NV41.DEV_00C8.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 (LDDM)"

Right at the bottom, in the [strings] ; Localizable Strings section.

- Mark

Sorry can't upload the INF, getting the following error

Basically in nv_LH.inf I added the lines:

%NVIDIA_NV41.DEV_00C8.1% = nv_NV3x_mobile,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab] PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00C8

In the [NVIDIA.Mfg] section

And:

NVIDIA_NV41.DEV_00C8.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 (LDDM)"

Right at the bottom, in the [strings] ; Localizable Strings section.

- Mark

Im not sure why you have to do that for the Go 6800 LDDM. 5270 Vista has that driver built in already. The only one that I see is not natively supported is the Go 7800 GTX.

Im not sure why you have to do that for the Go 6800 LDDM. 5270 Vista has that driver built in already. The only one that I see is not natively supported is the Go 7800 GTX.

teknishn, it may be that the go version of the 6800 isn't supported in the inf, just the desktop version.

Mark, it looks like that string doesn't match your hardware. If you're dual-booting, can you look at the device in the XP device manager (under advanced properties) and make sure that hardware ID is right?

teknishn, it may be that the go version of the 6800 isn't supported in the inf, just the desktop version.

Mark, it looks like that string doesn't match your hardware. If you're dual-booting, can you look at the device in the XP device manager (under advanced properties) and make sure that hardware ID is right?

No, the Go version is supported. I have seen it myself and even tried it on my 7800 for kicks. I have the 5270 infs on my webserver here. Pieter is already looking at them. The nv_DM.inf has the mobile devices, including the Go 6800.

http://www.musclemustangs.net/vista5270infs/

Modded INF made, you can find it here : http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8487

Only supports Mobile GPU's (all of them)

May pay to remove the other 2 INFs from the hidden directory to help with installation.

I think the INF is for Dell laptops, the Subsys would have stopped others from installing it.

This has also been removed.

Enjoy

Modded INF made, you can find it here : http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8487

Only supports Mobile GPU's (all of them)

May pay to remove the other 2 INFs from the hidden directory to help with installation.

I think the INF is for Dell laptops, the Subsys would have stopped others from installing it.

This has also been removed.

Enjoy

That worked!! You RULE!!

Ofcourse that worked, you doubt my abilities :)

Can someone please test the nv_LH.inf, this will probably become the future of modded Vista INFs.

As a temptation this has all the Tweaks added.

Would be good to know if it works, as I build it from scratch.

Pieter, I'm pretty sure your nv_LH.inf needs the following two lines:

HKR,, UserModeDriverName, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nvd3dum

HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nvd3dum

instead of:

HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nv4_disp

What I didn't realise that this later build of vista came with v56.73 INF :)

This is a really weird INF with both Vista and old XP bits.

By the time I realised (as I made the INF from 3 differnent Vista INFs) I had to quickly take out the XP bits.

The one above slipped through (I'm actually of work, not feeling the greatest which isn't helping either :worlds smallest violin playing in the background)

Remember nv_LH.inf is BETA, but I do need feedback as this will probably be the base for future INFs.

With out you guys's input it will become very hard to make something so please have a go with it.

There is once again so many variable to work with so some mistakes can pop in.

I at one time had about 6 INFs open to make this one :)

Cheers for that Larry, I'll get onto that now (above), I've had a mid afternoon nap and feel somewhat better now.

Is someone able to get msdv.inf that is mentioned in the nVidia INF.

Wouldn't mind seeing what is in there.

What I didn't realise that this later build of vista came with v56.73 INF :)

This is a really weird INF with both Vista and old XP bits.

By the time I realised (as I made the INF from 3 differnent Vista INFs) I had to quickly take out the XP bits.

The one above slipped through (I'm actually of work, not feeling the greatest which isn't helping either :worlds smallest violin playing in the background)

Remember nv_LH.inf is BETA, but I do need feedback as this will probably be the base for future INFs.

With out you guys's input it will become very hard to make something so please have a go with it.

There is once again so many variable to work with so some mistakes can pop in.

I at one time had about 6 INFs open to make this one :)

Cheers for that Larry, I'll get onto that now (above), I've had a mid afternoon nap and feel somewhat better now.

Is someone able to get msdv.inf that is mentioned in the nVidia INF.

Wouldn't mind seeing what is in there.

Well this just got interesting. I hadn't got around to turning on Windows update... the popups warning finally got to me and I did. What does it do? Installs a new Nvidia driver. Looks like they back rev'd it to 81.85. Joy!

:P

Of course now the display is all screwy.

So there is also a 81.85 Vista driver.

nVidia are keeping all this very quiet.

Bill must have told them to keep it under wraps, or else :)

Any info you can provide would be appreciated :)

So there is also a 81.85 Vista driver.

nVidia are keeping all this very quiet.

Bill must have told them to keep it under wraps, or else :)

Any info you can provide would be appreciated :)

Im working on that. Going to do a clean install of Vista followed by immediate update to see the result. So far I can say the 81.85 driver seems to be different for sure. It has the tray icon with all the Nvidia stuff now as well as the Nvidia tab under display properties. It also appears to support the 7800 Go. Aero Glass wasn't working, but I'm not sure what exactly is causing that.

However, this being a beta OS with beta drivers causes everything to south fast. I'm going to do clean install then windows update to the 81.85s and report my results and/or provide new infs if they change them etc.