LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver Updates for GeForce 8600M GT?

ishan

Guys, I have a dell inspiron 1520 laptop with core 2 duo 2.0 ghz, 4gb ram and 256 MB video card...i need the latest version for my video card(NVidia, GeForce 8600M GT) as soe of my games give poor performance even at low resolutions...i read the faq but there were no updates for my card, please help!

Follow the instructions on this site, download the current drivers from this site for your operating system, and then download the modded INF file, which will support your video card (I have the same one), and then you'll be all set. Just make sure you uninstall the current drivers completely (software included). I'm running the 163.44 drivers right now.

Computer

Asus Lamborghini VX2S

Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate

4 GB 800MHz DDR2

I installed the modded .INF file, then ran the 165 setup. Same problem. Can't run the Chess program in Windows because "No suitable graphics device found" or whatever the error message is.

So, are there any drivers being developed for Windows Vista 64 bit?

LOLz on having a video card that can't run a chess program! I tried that uh CPUZ program or whatever, and it is reporting that pretty well all the 3D shaders, etc don't exist or aren't running. This video worked in Vista 32, but not 64 though pretty well everything else seems to be working just fine in 64 bit. Including the 4GB of RAM.

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, then tried to run the 165 setup. Can't find any hardware, anywhere, of any sort that is vaguely related to Nvidia, or whatever the error message is.

I overwrote the .inf file in \Windows\INF\ folder with the modded .INF after uninstalling.

So, what, precisely, is the precise order, precisely, in which we are supposed to do this and it actually works? I am typing on my screen at about 8X6 now. Whooo hoo.

Edited by sm1lodon

1. Download 163.69

2. Extract 163.69

3. Download INF for 163.69

4. Copy INF for 163.69 into the folder that you extracted 163.69 to

5. Uninstall old drivers

6. Restart

7. Install new drivers

8. Restart

I have the 165 version already downloaded. is the 163 better?

I have the 165 version already downloaded. is the 163 better?

Computer

Asus Lamborghini VX2S

Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate

4 GB 800MHz DDR2

I installed the modded .INF file, then ran the 165 setup. Same problem. Can't run the Chess program in Windows because "No suitable graphics device found" or whatever the error message is.

So, are there any drivers being developed for Windows Vista 64 bit?

LOLz on having a video card that can't run a chess program! I tried that uh CPUZ program or whatever, and it is reporting that pretty well all the 3D shaders, etc don't exist or aren't running. This video worked in Vista 32, but not 64 though pretty well everything else seems to be working just fine in 64 bit. Including the 4GB of RAM.

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, then tried to run the 165 setup. Can't find any hardware, anywhere, of any sort that is vaguely related to Nvidia, or whatever the error message is.

I overwrote the .inf file in \Windows\INF\ folder with the modded .INF after uninstalling.

So, what, precisely, is the precise order, precisely, in which we are supposed to do this and it actually works? I am typing on my screen at about 8X6 now. Whooo hoo.

Sweety, you replace the INF file in the directory in which you extracted the driver's installation files with the modded INF. And then you install the drivers.

Now, uninstall the drivers and all of nvidia's software.

Then do what's been told to you, and you should be good. And make sure you're downloading the drivers for Vista 64-bit. G-d only knows why you chose to have a 64-bit Vista on your oh so beautiful laptop.

I've got a G1S, with the same GPU.

Edited by Nuggstein

But, where would I find 163.69? I only see 163.44 on this site? Also, on Nvidia's site, 163.69 is only for Vista 32 bit.

Am I missing something here?

64 bit for 4 gigs of RAM.

Edited by sm1lodon

What I need to know is what drivers are there for 64 bit that actually work? Not the ones for 32 bit. Worked fine in 32 bit. I don't care if it worked fine in 32-bit, though, because I am using 64 bit.

Any drivers out there for the 8600M GT for Windows Vista 64-bit? Those are the ones I need.

Edited by sm1lodon

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15050

Ta-da! :)

And it works with the 8600M GT (don't forget to download and replace the driver's INF file with the modded one BEFORE installation). Because last time you put the INF file in the wrong directory.

But those should work as long as you uninstall the drivers and the software. I checked the INF file myself for the 8600M GT. :)

Okay, thanks a bunch, guys and girls.

After uninstalling, restarting, transferring .INF and running Setup, I now have my sexy transparent Aero features, as well as not being balked by the Windows installed games. Thanks a lot! Now for Planetside, Far Cry, Doom, etc!

You're welcome! :)

Oh, and if you thought I was a girl because I called you sweety, I'm a guy and was just being sarcastic. :)

Follow the instructions on this site, download the current drivers from this site for your operating system, and then download the modded INF file, which will support your video card (I have the same one), and then you'll be all set. Just make sure you uninstall the current drivers completely (software included). I'm running the 163.44 drivers right now.

hello.. i have dell inspiron 1520 with the nvidia 8600 m gt , 4 gb ram , intel 2.2 core 2 duo procesor and still the game is not working properly .. i tried contacting sell software technician but they coudnt do any thing .. i have updated the driver from the dell website ...but no luck can u please guide me so that i could play the games in peace

looking forward to hear from you

What game(s) is(are) you trying to play? What's wrong with your current drivers (unless you need to update for DirectX 10 support?

i have a dell vostro 1500 with 8600M GT, the driver i downloaded from dell support site doesn't work properly. Every time i log in to vista, the screen crashes, then i restart, it's ok. Turn it off for some hours, then turn on, it crashes again. What the hell is this error? Every time it is turned on after a few hours turned off, it always crashes. Turn the windows aero off, this crazy error disappear, but when running some 3D games, it crashes again then i must restart to run those games in next time.

What game(s) is(are) you trying to play? What's wrong with your current drivers (unless you need to update for DirectX 10 support?

I AM TRYINNG TO PLAY MEDAL OF HONOR , NEED FOR SPEED CARBON ...

BUT LIKE MA CONFIGURATOIN IS REALY GOOD AND STILL EVEN AFTER PLAYING IT ON LOW QUALITY WITH 1024X760 RESOLUTION THE GAME DOES HANG A LIL BIT ( NEED FOR SPEED CARBON) AND THE MEDAL OF HONOR DOES WORK REALY GOOD ONLY IF ON LOW RESOLUTION AND LOW QUALITY...

I TRIED DOWNLOADING THE NEW DRIVER FOR THE GRAPHICS CARD FROM THE DELL WEBSITE BUT NOTHING HAPPEND ....

THEN I REINSTALELD THE OLD DRIVER WHICH CAME WITH THE SYSTEM.. AND THE GAME STARTED TO WORK A LIL BETTER BUT IT STARTED HANGING AND THE SYSTEM USED TO RESTART ... OR SOME TIME GET AN ERROR ..SAYING THE GRAPHICS DRIVER STOPED WORKING OR CAUSED AN ERROR.. NOW I STIL HAVE THE NEW DRIVER AND THE GAME WORKS SLOW .. OR IT HANGS THROUGH OUT.....

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO .. I HOPE THAS ALL CLEAR :)

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU

PLEASE HELP ME

THIS IS A NEW LAPTOP ITS BEEN ONLY 8 DAYS NOW ....

CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE TO DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER FROM AND WHICH ONE .. THEN IS THERE ANY EXTRA SOFTWARE FOR THE GRAPHICS CARD LIKE OPEN GL OR ANY PATCHES ??

I HAVE VISTA HOME PREMIUM

AND THE HARD DISK KEEPS WORKING ALOT .....

Hey there.. Had the same problems, games crashes, they stutters every 1-2second and so on... This kan do the trick: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15050

I've tried this one but its not perfect but it works.. Im waiting for updates, maybe driver v163.75....

SSOO ALL THESE PROBLEMS ARE JUST CUZ OF THE DRIVER .. THE URL U GAVE ME DUSNT WORK IT SAYS ERROR ...

IS THERE ANY SOFTWARE LIKE OPEN GL OR NE THING

MAN MA COMPUTER SPEC IS REALY REALY GOOD ... HEHE I SPEND ALL MA LAST 3 MONTH SAVING ON IT .. AND AFTER THAT IF THESE THINGS GONA HAPPEN WUTS THE POINT :)

HEHEHE

WHICH 1 DO I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD ?? IS IT 163.71??

i downloaded the 163.67 of vista

the game was working lil bit better but the game crashed ....I ONLY HAD TO INSTALL THE LATEST DRIVER FROM THE DELL WEBSTIE AND THEN INSTALL THIS 163.67 DRIVERS RITE??

You're welcome! :)

Oh, and if you thought I was a girl because I called you sweety, I'm a guy and was just being sarcastic. :)

DUDE CAN YOU HELP ME WITH MY SYSTEM??

I HAVE DOWNLOADED 167.75 DRIVER WITH THE INF FILE AND THE GAME IS WORKING LIL BETTER ...

BUT IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE TO MAKE IT MORE BETTER

ITS A DELL LAPTOP!!

WHICH DRIVER ARE GOOD .. IS 167.75 COMPATABLE OR GOOD FOR INSPIRON 1520

I am having the Vostro1500 with the Geforce8600M GT (256 mb ram). Having the same issue, COH is crashing with something like nvldm not responding for COH error, same is true for Warhammer Dark crusade also.Supreme Commander just hangs up and i have to restart the lappy. So uninstalled the present driver, and reinstalled from the Dell resource cd, but it seems the driver is for the 8400 GS & not the 8600 GT. Is this the reason for crashing?

However BattleStations Midway is running fine on this with maxed out settings.

Guys could you please help out with this????

Guest Alessandro
DUDE CAN YOU HELP ME WITH MY SYSTEM??

I HAVE DOWNLOADED 167.75 DRIVER WITH THE INF FILE AND THE GAME IS WORKING LIL BETTER ...

BUT IS THERE ANY WAY POSSIBLE TO MAKE IT MORE BETTER

ITS A DELL LAPTOP!!

WHICH DRIVER ARE GOOD .. IS 167.75 COMPATABLE OR GOOD FOR INSPIRON 1520

You can read my response here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=15463

A lot of people here are going to have problems with different games and driver combinations, especially when running under Vista.

Before uninstalling, reinstalling, changing drivers for your laptop, try checking up on any compatability issues that each game/app has with Vista and see if that can solve your problem. The first thing is to have a stable system, not one that can run everything (eg, Bioshock is reknowned for all of its buggy problems, and some games just plain don't run effectively under Vista).

Make sure you have the latest DirectX drivers for your system too.

Then, ensure you have the latest graphics driver for your laptop from the manufacturers website (as these are always created specifically for the laptop, whereas the graphics cards drivers may not contain all of the features these drivers do)

Finally, check up on the latest graphics driver here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

Always check the date of the release of the driver and its recommended to go for the WHQL certified drivers first as they are likely to be more stable.

thanks for the reply..

well i have tried installing the latest driver from the nvidia website but ...it gives an error .which is unable to find the correct .. somethign like that ... so then after that i instelled the driver after replacing the inf file...it dus work after that .. but is this like the correct way of doing it by replacing the inf??

if it is y dont nvidia do it by themselves??

im still having problems game crashes ... game dun work as good on low resolution either

i have lost hope to play good games on a brand new high conffiguration system..

• 3 months later...
Guys, I have a dell inspiron 1520 laptop with core 2 duo 2.0 ghz, 4gb ram and 256 MB video card...i need the latest version for my video card(NVidia, GeForce 8600M GT) as soe of my games give poor performance even at low resolutions...i read the faq but there were no updates for my card, please help!

Hi Dude,

I bought a dell inspiron 1520 laptop with core 2 duo 2.2 GHz, 3Gb ram and 256 MB video card

It uses the

NVidia, GeForce 8600M GT

which soon after using would regularly freeze the screen. If it would recover (rare) it said in error message that it was a known nvidia problem with unknown solution.

it was most likely nvidia or windows software conflict. I made the mistake of buying through grays which give a five day warranty, and Dell do not honour any warranty when onsold as new from Grays online, and instead asked for $500 to look at it.

Grays did not answer requests at all and Dell dragged their heels for a month before getting a tech to call me several days after they were supposed to and after talking me through several tests over the phone could not solve the freeze problem, and suggested the crap warranty deal. Or relaod windows for the hell of it!

LONG painful story short, besides a warning not to buy from Dell because when things go wrong the malaysians arent there, Dell has in theory the latest authorised drivers for the vid card on their website. whether this has permanently fixed the freeze issue, I cant tell yet. But regardless of their pathetic NO RESPONSIBILITY policy, they do seem to have most component driver updates on their site, under the specific laptop. Just enter your express tag number on your laptops bottom ...

GOOD LUCK!

• 3 months later...
Guest David

Hi guys,

You're all talking about a modified INF file.

I'm running GeForce 8600m GT 512 mb vista 32 bit, and I wish to update my graphic drivers. But I have no clue where to find the INF file.

Would some one please post the linnk here or perhaps mail it to me; blommehyrden@hotmail.com.

Thanks alot!