LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 5520-7416 MXM II 8600GT?

Guest tvone2

Guest Jim Payne

Muppet,

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying some as I type this.

First, I went out to BB and purchased an external floppy and am using it to boot the laptop instead of the cr. Figured I needed to make this as simple as possible.

The version of nvflash I am using is 5.50. I will update to the 5.57 version and try that.

Thanks for the tip about waiting... I was wondering about that but no one mentioned how long the flash took. So now I will let it set five minutes between tries.

I'll try redirecting the output of nvflash to disk to see if I get anything from that as well.

I'll also do the ctrl-gs as well.

I'll be back in a few with my results.

Thanks!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reiluke

• tvone2

• muppet

• A Civilized Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Jim Payne

Success! :P

When using the floppy disk, I was able to redirect the output of nvflash. And sure enough, the y switch wasn't working for me.

The process was waiting for me to hit y to continue.

So I rebooted and waited for the process to hang; then I hit y once; then once more.

Oddly enough, the keyboard lights on my laptop flashed in sequence for about a minute an then I rebooted and saw my good old acer logo.

Upon reentering vista, it saw the card and promptly loaded the correct drivers.

So now I am in business.

Once again I want to thank everyone (especially you Muppet). :)

It's been years since I've done something like this - I feel young again!

Now to go run some benchmarks..... :)

:P

What version of nvflash were you using (5.50 or 5.57) in the end? Useful to know which versions don't support "y" correctly in actual usage (vs. documented option) - as we all run the risk of needing a blind flash doing this stuff. Though thanks to your work :) hitting "y" say after 30 secs from boot and again 5 mins after boot might be a good coverall when a blind flash doesn't work as expected.

:) If you're game, you may want to look at overclocking the card once the thermal compound stabilises - e.g. the 171.16 nvidia drivers allow for software overclocking using tools such as ntune or rivatuner. My card is stable at 575Mhz core and 475Mhz mem settings - it does get a little warmer (nothing over 70C for me) after a few hours of COD4 or bioshock but nothing a zalman notebook cooler couldn't fix. I was just looking to bump the frame rates for the games I'm playing to support the in-game options I wanted - so the cards might be capable of more.

Edited by muppet

Guest Jim Payne

I used 5.57. I had already changed to it by the time I switched to using the floppy - so I do not know if 5.50 was having the same problem.

I think the timings you suggested would work just fine. I hit the second y maybe 10 seconds after the first one, and the laptop rebooted about 30 seconds later.

This is the second upgrade I've done this week, first I swapped my T5250 for a T9300. So needless to say, my computer feels a but revved up right now. :)

:) Great job!

Enjoy your NEW laptop!

Guest Jim Payne
:) Great job!

Enjoy your NEW laptop!

Thanks! It was your original trials and tribulations that gave me the "oomph" to crack my case open in the first place.

Guest Guest

With all the hype on the 9 series, I'm worried that the 9650m/9600m or whatever can't be found easily like the 8600m (due to Asus c90s). I own a 5920g and would really hope that a 9650m GS card will be sold widely like the 8600m, since the 8920g has the vbios of it, it should theoretically work... just a speculation.

• 5 weeks later...

it will work as long as you have 8XXXX series

Guest Chaos

I just thought I would let you know that this will indeed work with the Acer Aspire 5720 model as well. I just upgraded the 8400M GS with the Asus 8600M GT 512mb. No problems whatsoever. I couldn't have done it without this guide though, thanks a lot! :)

chinese guys even installed x1600 to acer 4520G, 2300hd / 8600GS/GT

hey im gonna order the 8600m gt and go 4 it... can i count on your help???

hey im gonna order the 8600m gt and go 4 it... can i count on your help???

I'm sure most of the people that have posted in this thread keep an eye on it... I do recommend that you order the ASUS card that is known to work with the approach in this thread though - unless you want to go trail blazing!

Guest SUPERMAXIEROE

Hi! I have upgrade my Acer 5520G with Asus 8600m GT just yesterday but now i have i little problem. The notebook run very fine (crysis included!!!!) with XP but Vista don't work. What kind of driver have you installed? (Vista is home premium)

Someone can help me?

Thanks

Diego.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem with mine. My first instinct was to open my laptop back and check to make sure it was seated right in the slot.

on my first attempt and getting the same error message the system shut down after the countdown reached 0.

So I opened it up and reseated the card and fired it up again, this time it let me boot windows, but Blue Screened at the desktop.

so I rebooted into safe mode uninstalled the video drivers, then rebooted pressing F8 again. and this time loading

"Last Known Working Settings" worked like a charm. I still have the error at first boot and have to wait for the count down to reach 0!

Also I am running XP Pro SP2, But i really dont see why these cards wouldnt load on vista???

Now I noticed in your later posts you fixed the problem. My question is this!?!

Did you use nibitor to basicly mod the SUB ID and the BOARD ID and reflash it.

Or did you flash it with the Acer 8600M GT Rom floating the net?

I am very warry of bypassing the SUB and BOARD ID. As I do not wish to brick the card.

and be forced to use my crap 8400M. Any input would be great thx.

Also if you could let me know what your original board ID and SUB ID were!?!

I just really don't want to take any chances!!! :)

I have instant messaging on my phone so if you wouldnt mind getting back to me that way

I would greatly appreciate it. I am "'F3BANDIT" on AIM, MSN, And YAHOO

Card cost me $159.00! I could have gotten it cheaper. But i didnt want to take a chance getting

it from a seller on ebay that had a so so rating and only one in stock.

Hello,

I installed an ASUS 8600gt in my 5520 just now..

I get the error:

MXM structure not found or invalid.

Reflash MXM rom or add MXM structure ans associated callbacks to SBIOS!

Post halted performance limited until resolved...

I can not start the O/S..

I can now see 512mb of video ram.. (not 128 from the 8400m)

The 8400 cooler fits the new card better!!! It was made for this application no dought.

I am on the search for a fix...

Anyone have any advice for me???

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Lol NVM haha I flashed it I remembered I could hot swap if i had a bad flash!

So I went ahead and did it! worked like a charm!

ASUS 8600M GT 512MB PCI-E

UNSPSC Code : 43201401

original serial # 90-C1CIZ5-JXBN00Z

Installed on a ACER 5520-5716 Laptop

Flashed to "Acer.8600MGT.512.070423.bin"

Aquamark3 score = 70,882

3Dmark06 = 3627

I had the same problem with mine. My first instinct was to open my laptop back and check to make sure it was seated right in the slot.

on my first attempt and getting the same error message the system shut down after the countdown reached 0.

So I opened it up and reseated the card and fired it up again, this time it let me boot windows, but Blue Screened at the desktop.

so I rebooted into safe mode uninstalled the video drivers, then rebooted pressing F8 again. and this time loading

"Last Known Working Settings" worked like a charm. I still have the error at first boot and have to wait for the count down to reach 0!

Also I am running XP Pro SP2, But i really dont see why these cards wouldnt load on vista???

Now I noticed in your later posts you fixed the problem. My question is this!?!

Did you use nibitor to basicly mod the SUB ID and the BOARD ID and reflash it.

Or did you flash it with the Acer 8600M GT Rom floating the net?

I am very warry of bypassing the SUB and BOARD ID. As I do not wish to brick the card.

and be forced to use my crap 8400M. Any input would be great thx.

Also if you could let me know what your original board ID and SUB ID were!?!

I just really don't want to take any chances!!! :)

I have instant messaging on my phone so if you wouldnt mind getting back to me that way

I would greatly appreciate it. I am "'F3BANDIT" on AIM, MSN, And YAHOO

Card cost me $159.00! I could have gotten it cheaper. But i didnt want to take a chance getting

it from a seller on ebay that had a so so rating and only one in stock.

guys,

recently i bought a 8600m gt, i placed it in my acer. That went well, and when i ran vista again it started normal on it's own vga.

before installing the card i had a 8400 G(buggy), and i deleted the forceware.

at startup it says: reflash mxm rom!

but what the heck, i'll check it out,

after start up i could do anything internet word etc , gpu-z gave me some info but he doesn't fully recognize the 8600gt.

so i started looking for a vbios and that kind of stuff i'm not really into.

then i came to this forum, i tried to make the flash usb with the new bios file and the nvflash (5.57) but still i can't make it work!

i can start up and up again but it won't load dos, it won't load the new bios, it won't start flashing. the only thing i can do is restart and load the "last known configuration that works", or "safe mode" with prompt but that means cmd and not dos!

furthermore that hp tool can't be used in vista, maybe that's my problem? however i saw you guys also using vista.

any help would be GREAT!

Guest reincarnation

ok guys, i've managed to boot and even to flash the bios, however it is the backup.rom that i can flash with.

the bios from techpowerup wont be read," I/O: cannot read bios"

i've tried them all, from acer and nvidia but none will be read!

what now? could anyone help? :)

Guest reincarnation

ok i did it. it worked!(about a week ago)

using http://www.notebookforums.com/thread181387.html for the boot utility and the dos files.

techpowerup for the new bios for the gpu.

and nibitor to change some things in the bios and bin to rom.

remind of not using the Acer.8600MGT.512.070323.bin file/name, just use WAHOE.ROM (a simple name) then it'll work!

Guest Guest

Hey there! I changed my ati 2400xt to a 8600m gs but I have a big problem with the battery time. With 2400xt I could use (for browsing, chat, mail) my laptop for almost 3 hours, now I can use only for 1 and a quarter hours and the card always hot but the cooler can handle it. All energy settings are set correctly, not set for performance, the clocks are less then I use 3D so I don't get it why I get loss the power:(. Now I have to charge my battery 2-3 times a day and I can't use it on a longer trip:(. I tried some drivers but the result was the same. Is it a fault or it's normal?

• 2 weeks later...

8600M GS - 20 Watts

HD 2400 XT - 19 Watts

so minimal difference, check if powermizer is working