LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v174.74 Windows Vista 32bit | NVIDIA (incl. >40 ODM/OEM INFs)

mobilenvidia

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

GPU scaling works (not powermizer of course cause it's not in Vista, get that through your head people!)

Keep up the good work LV2Go !

Can you please explain what's the difference between GPU scaling and powermizer?

How can I find out if powermizer works?

Thanks!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andygb40

• cheshbench

• zipper

• reinholt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you please explain what's the difference between GPU scaling and powermizer?

How can I find out if powermizer works?

Thanks!

Use NVMonitor (part of nTune) or GPU-Z (second, sensor tab). Core frequency and (on many laptops also) Memory frequency go up if your run a 3-D application like Second Life or video, and then back down again when you exit all 3-D applications/videos. (Some 945 laptops keep the dedicated NVIDIA VRAM Memory frequency maxed all the time.)

Edited by hola

Good drivers with no noticable bugs as of yet. 174.74s are a good find.

My girlfriend's laptop has some problems with the new NVIDIA drivers. She's got an Acer Aspire 5920G.

The problem is that every time she turns off her laptop, or simply it goes on ibernation, or stand-by, the settings of the screen resolution come back to 800x600.

How can we solve this problem?

These drivers work perfectly on my PC.

I hope someone can help me... thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by psychok9

i reinstalled the drivers and messed around with the NVcp.

I turned threaded optimisation to auto and now i dont get BSOD.

Noticiable improvements in all games compared to 167.62

Anyone know of a good RegCleaner for Windows Vista? :)

I just tried BAKU and it seems pretty reliable. How reliable?:

I've been "tweaking". You know... shutting off, uninstalling and deleting really important things. [And crashing of course] Anyway, Vista is down to 28 processes with minimal loss of functionality.

So then I get BAKU [free at cnet] and I clean out the registry. You have to check each entry manually as I didn't see a "check all" option. This is a good thing of course. I checked of almost everything except for a few of games or my nvidia drivers. I cut 2.5mb off my registry, not knowing what most of it was. IT DIDN'T CRASH! That tells me that it has a good search of the registry and shouldn't mess with anything vital. Then I defragged the registry with Auslogics R. D.

Also, at try [free] R T Scan Tool at http://www.registrytweaker.net/. Scan for any old software by the name of the name/publisher and I bet you'll find more than a few things.

Finally, for future uninstalls get Revo Uninstaller [free a cnet]. It can get registry and files items during the uninstall, but does seem to miss a few from time to time.

Attached is a file of all the drivers I have tried. I am settling on 174.16 as it gives the best all round for me.

By the way I've found that trying all the different settings on or off changed the performance of all the drivers by a hell of a lot. It all boils down to personal preference though.

WIC_Benchmarks.pdf

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

I've got a HP 9700t (8600 GS, 512) GPU with Vista 32bit. Any recommendation for a driver that works with World in Conflict where it's not so choppy?

174.60 was working well for me and WiC, smoothed everything out pretty nicely. However, I did get some random BSOD when starting up my machine... not enough to cause real issues, but enough to be annoying. Strangely, I never BSOD'd after about 30 minutes of the machine up and running.

Have yet to play with 174.74, so far just one BSOD coming out of sleep mode, but I rarely use that. I'll see how it goes and report back.

For now though, I'd recommend 174.60 or 174.74 if you want to be adventurous.

Just keep in mind that your results are going to vary depending on your exact set-up. Even the same cards in your machine doesn't gaurentee anything.

I havn't tested on games yet but got pretty good results in 3dMark06.

post-15433-1207045351_thumb.jpg

Edited by reinholt

Toshiba 2-8600M [DDR3]/T7250/2gb 667

:) ODD Drivers.

-I get a 100pt bump at stock speed on '06, but lower lows.

-It seems these drivers are meant for stability more than total perfomance.

-THIS IS NOT VERY GOOD OVERCLOCKER. I lose at least 200 points on '06 and 5-7s off the top with them and those lows from stock don't go up in some spots.

- Best perfomance from an OC comes from leaving the core clock alone [or raising it just a little, like +25 MHz or so] and jumping up the shaders. [in my case, from 950 to 1150 and even up to the max of 1425.

-Temps are good. While on the 3DMark06 I only hit 83c with a clock of 555/1425/769. That's not as bad as it sounds... my GPUs are on top of each other. The cooler card, 78c. Those with a single GPU and a high shader shouldn't have any real temp issues and none that a laptop cooler shouldn't solve.

-Also it artifacts on gothic 3 [flashes of transparent white occur in areas].

Guest doubleblack

I have a very interesting problem...SmartDimmer works on all of these 174 builds for me, but when I start using my computer again it stays dimmed. I tried running a Driver Cleaner, but it does nothing...when I go to install drivers already on my computer it gives me a list of like 15 that I've tried in the past...so I think something is corrupted. Anyone else having this issue with any 174 builds, or know of any ideas that I could try?

Thanks.

Guest Brian_Guest

Andy and Byron: Thanks for your responses. I will certainly test those out. I went back to the stock drivers offered by HP and that didn't help a whole lot. I did find that disabling post processing and DX10 in the game increased the FPS. I was nervous that it was my laptop because I just bought it to replace a DV8000t model (7600, 512) that I bought a couple of years back and it was extremely choppy there too, but I heard a lot of people with laptops have had issues with that game. Next up: Bioshock and Crysis. I don't expect smooth sailing for those, but I just want something that's smooth that doesn't sacrifice a lot in the graphics area. Thanks again!

Guest R-Chee

Guys I dont know about this driver but I installed two other ones, 174.60 and some other one before, and they both gave ne the same problem... When I restarted the computer after the installation the computer was soooo slow i couldnt do anything... I had to go to Windows Restore and restore to before i installed the driver... whats the problem guys ?? what information do u need ?

I have a Geforce 7900GS, actually two of them, but I dont use SLI that much because its not stable with Vista, I get that "the display adapter has been reset and has fully recovered" or something like that message...

Thanks

Did you make a correct de-installation of the old drivers before installing the new ones?

I allways use the de-installation of Windows, then go to the safe-mode of Windows (Sorry, german, don't know how it is named correctly in english) and do a reg-Cleanup with ccleaner and and Driver-removal with DriverCleaner and then go back to Windows and install the new ones.

I got dell m1530(8600m gt, 2.2 dual core t500, 3gb ram,320hdd) wit useless dell drivers 156.63 from 11/28/2007. v.7.15.11.5663.

I got 16 fps with crysis dx9 med setting with dell drivers.

With 174.74 i got like 21fps on same setting.

I had 30-35 fps in gears of war with dell driver.

With 174.74 i got 35-41fps on same setting.

I got 15-18 fps on Call of Duty 4 with dell drivers.

With 174.74 i got 18-22 fps on same setting.

I had no BSOD or any other problem. I have not OC as my laptop is new n very expen so im leavin dat.

ONE THING i did notice is dat it increases ur temperature by like 8-10c. after 1 hour of playing gears of war my temp was 66c, which bfor u say it i kno is not that high but with dell driver it was like 57c.

I 4got 2 see the change in windows experience so i f***** up dere.

If i get any problems with this driver i will post. highly recommeded driver 174.74. :)

I downloaded it a few days ago and works fine with 32b. Also I didnt need the modded inf to install.

Good driver for me, no problems and better performance in hl 2 ep 2

My record in 3dmark 2006, from 3600 to 3604, and with the very first driver i get 3230-3250. More than 10% faster.

Every release i improve something, tnks laptopvideo2go, i also linked you to my blog http://sigmaline.blogspot.com/

Edited by Pk77

This drivers are the best for the Sony Vaio FZ290 using the 8400M GT. The 3dMark scores went from 2300 using the stock Sony drivers to an amazing 3100+ (this is faster than most 8600M GS (My CPU is not the fastest either: Core2 2.2).

Temps DROPPED from 66 celcius with the stock driver to 60 celcius. At full speed though the temperature did increased to 75 (that is about 2-3 more celcius than stock).

This driver is amazing, if you hava a Sony FZ GET IT and install it with the modified INF this site provides...

No problems on my Acer Aspire 4520G (8400M G), but not WHQL for my hardware.

BTW, good registry cleaner for XP/Vista is CCleaner, safe and fast, also its free.