LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v75.90 XP 32bit | NV

®®®

Guest Guest

I tried to install it, but running the install wizard it ask me for this file:

nv4_mini.sys :)

what is it?

it tells me it's in my nvidia win 2k/xp cd :) (that I never had)...

somebody can help or simply I cannot install the drivers?

thank you all :P

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• mobilenvidia

• SLoweCSL

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nv4_mini.sys should be present in the driver set. It sounds like you chose the automatic installation rather than the "Have Disk" method. Make sure you replace nvidia's nv4_disp.inf with ours in the folder where you extracted the driver files, then follow the instructions here.

That should do the trick.

To take advantage of the new video driver, make sure you enable VMR on both the overlay page of the nVidia Control Panel, and in whatever video player you use.

- In PowerDVD 6, make sure the following lines are in the HKLM\Software\Cyberlink\PowerDVD section of your registry:

EnableVMR, %REG_DWORD%, 1

EnableVMR9, %REG_DWORD%, 1

Also, make sure you have "Use Hardware Accleration" enabled in the PowerDVD Configuration\Video menu.

- In Windows Media Player, under Tools\Options, click on the Performance tab and choose "Advanced." Check both the "Use Video Mixing Renderer" box and the "Use High Quality Mode" box.

- In Media Player Classic, choose "VMR9 Renderless" and "Use texture surfaces and render video in 2D."

I asked Cyberlink support directly about VMR support and this is what they told me...

Hi, Christopher Lowe Welcome to the CyberLink Online Support system status page. From this page you can check the current status of your customer support inquiry.

Inquiry Information

Question ID CS000245402

Customer Support vcdheeraj

Last login time 2005/03/14 10:05

First login time 2005/03/11 07:08

Product PowerDVD

Was your problem solved?

Asked 2005/03/11 07:08

Does PowerDVD 6 properly support VMR

and VMR9? If so how can I ensure it is

enabled in the software?

vcdheeraj Reply 2005/03/11 18:19

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Customer Support.

We regret to inform you that, PowerDVD software does not support VMR and VMR9 format.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

Thank you and best regards

I am so confused :)

You got someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. PowerDVD has supported VMR since version 4. (Here's a link to an old FAQ from 2001, and I've seen another Cyberlink FAQ explaining that VMR is enabled in PowerDVD by default.) Also, the two VMR keys (EnableVMR and EnableVMR9) are installed by the PowerDVD installer. They're both there for a reason.

Your own results confirm this. The choppiness you mentioned is because VMR is very CPU intensive and does indeed cause choppiness on some machines (which goes away when you switch to Hardware Overlay). If it didn't exist, you wouldn't see any performance difference when switching back and forth between VMR and Hardware Overlay... PowerDVD would just stay in Overlay mode regardless of what you did.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. It's almost funny how unhelpful help support can be at times. I'm glad I asked you. :)

Guest lotuseater

hi lsudlow,

I followed your suggestion on the "have disk" procedure but the problem is the same. it looks like I don't have this file or it isn't in the right place...

I really don't know :)

Check the directory you've unzipped the drivers to. You should see either Nv4_mini.sys or Nv4_mini.sy_

If it's not there, try unzipping the downloaded file again, or try a fresh download here.

The file may have just been deleted accidentally.

Since you came here to improve performance, I'd start with the 30.66P. The "P" includes some performance tweaks that should gain you some of the extra speed you're looking for.

If you have any trouble with the "P" version, you can always drop back to the standard 30.66, which is a more conservative inf, tuned for stability.

Guest lotuseater

finally I succeeded in installing the drivers!! :)

the next days I will tell you if I'll find some improvements in 3d application, by now the first thing I noticed is a better managing of openGL...

thank you, I hope this new driver won't burn the gpu too soon.... :)

bye and thanx again

I'm glad it's working! Don't worry about burning the GPU too soon. The performance inf doesn't include any overclocking. It just enables some of the performance features of the card that are normally disabled to reduce heat and improve battery life, nothing that will shorten the life of the card.

:)

Guest diran_hafiz

Hi all, first off the drivers and info on this site rocks! You guys are numero uno in my book.

Now the selfish part:

Being that I am a newbie at this, I have a couple of questions:

I'm running 71.84 with the performance INF on my fx5700go with 128mb (HP zd7000 lappy). I thought I'd try 71.90, so downloaded that and when i try to install it (with the performance INF) it says the following: The NVIDIA setup program could not locate and drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

I was perplexed, but thought I was doing something wrong. So I tried first removing the older driver, used the driver cleaner program in safe mode, and then tried to install it - with the same result.

So I thought I'd try the 75.90 driver with the performance INF. Umm...same problem. Says it couldn't locate any driveres compatible with my current hardware.

Dilema dilema. Any suggestions, or anyone have similar problems? I apologize if this issue has been dealt with, I couldn't find a post though.

The other question - I do play (occasionally) games like doom 3 and halo on the lappy and wouldn't mind squeezing out some more from the graphics card. I have cool bits installed on the current 71.84 and am using the 'detect optimal frequency' manual overclocking for 3d performance. Should I install NVTweak? will it help any?

Oh and another question - whats the difference between the regular 71.84 driver and the 3d stereo driver? will i benefit using the 3d stereo driver?

Thanks for reading and any responses.

Your system is set to exclude drivers that aren't "signed". Go into the Control Panel and open the System applet. You should see a button labled "Driver Signing." Choose the "Warn" option and check the box to make this action the system default. This should allow you to install our drivers.

NVTweak won't change your overclocking settings. It's just a handy way to enable all nVidia Control Panel options (including overclocking). And yes, we do recommend it as a very useful tool.

The 3DStereo drivers are for use with a pair of 3D glasses plugged into your spare VGA port. If you don't have 3DGlasses those drivers won't do anything for your gaming performance.

Hope this helps!

Guest diran_hafiz

Thanks for the quick response!

I've installed NVTweak - going to play around with it a bit...

I don't have 3D glasses, so, yeah I'll skip that.

As for the driver signing, my system default is set to warn. Every time I installed the other unsigned drivers, it's warned me. This time (as in for the 71.90 and 75.90) I've not gone that far into the install process. It goes through the first "initializing install wizard" and then the black nvidia logo background page pops up, immediately followed by the warning that the NVIDIA Setup program couldn't locate any drivers compatible with my current hardware.

Any other suggestions? Maybe something in the INF? I don't know anything about reading/modding INF's :) It does have a line in the INF that reads "NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0348.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5700 " somewhere at the bottom.

Anyone else installed this driver on a Go 5700?

Thanks again.

Ah! That's another problem. Your internal hardware ID isn't matching up with an inf that it recognizes. Make sure our inf is actually IN the same folder where you unzipped the driver files, then use the "Have Disk" method of installation described here.

If that doesn't work, you may have an unusual hardware ID that isn't included in our inf. That shouldn't be a problem. Just let us know which inf does work for you and we can add your hardware ID to our list.

Guest diran_hafiz

Awesome, using the "Have Disk" method allowed me to install 75.90...thanks much for your help! :)

I'll be back with more questions as they develop, though :)

I'm glad it worked! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know!