LaptopVideo2Go Forums

[INFO] Bill's Driver Recommendation Thread

Bill

Guest Guest

I have a TOSHIBA Satellite 1410 Laptop (that was obsolete the day I bought it 4 years ago, no doubt) with a NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go video card in it. I am seeking a new driver and have tried a couple from this site where I saw recommendations for this card in threads I searched. I have tried 77.77 and 84.25.

77.77 works merely OK, but reduces the screen size to 969x768. It runs the 3D game I play with new direct x 9.0c installed, but will not run DVD movie sessions until I restore system to old driver, which is in the 40 or so range from Toshiba circa 2002.

84.25 does not work at all, black screen and windows wont boot.

So, I decided to do a more thorough search using the search forum window. I never found the exact string "GeForce4 420 Go" or "GeForce 4 Go 420" in ANY modded inf file for any of the 70, 80, 85 or 90 series forums. The closest I got was "GeForce4 420 Go 32M" on the 77.77 driver, which conicidentally almost works OK.

I recently had to wipe the HD and start over and I ended up losing a driver that now I figure I had enormous serendipity to find on Toshiba's site in December or so. It was far more updated than what I can find there now and it made my game experience run much better with no problems when out of game. Alas, the driver download file was not saved when I restored, because I figured it would be easily replaceable from Toshiba. Yeah, I know -- silly me...

Now, the game is updated to directx 9.0c and the old driver won't work with the game (not that it ever performed well with it before). That is what brings me here searching and not having much luck.

Can anyone explain why the exact model string doesn't show up in any modded INF file? I figure that 32M and 16M as an appendage to my model refer to the memory in the card, but I don't get that suffix when I query the OS to give me my video card model.

Man, I need a new PC and it sure won't be a preconfigured somewhat- proprietary system from manufacturers that strive to close their "feature-rich" architecture to attract the hordes and then leave the drivers stale for 4 years. Purely pathetic...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• polish inspiron

• who13

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i tried the 84.25 - i think it's important to point out that this is a driver for 64bit windows.

also, with 91.31, i have found that if i have accidentally pulled out my ac power supply, or forgotten to plug

it in and then try to boot a graphically orientated program then my machine will crash with the

blue screen of death. i discovered this whilst trying to run the devastatingly powerful (!) google

earth on battery. this is obviously a solvable problem, any solutions or even another next-gen compatible driver will be extremely welcome.

cheers guys

tawraste

I have a TOSHIBA Satellite 1410 Laptop (that was obsolete the day I bought it 4 years ago, no doubt) with a NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go video card in it. I am seeking a new driver and have tried a couple from this site where I saw recommendations for this card in threads I searched. I have tried 77.77 and 84.25.

77.77 works merely OK, but reduces the screen size to 969x768. It runs the 3D game I play with new direct x 9.0c installed, but will not run DVD movie sessions until I restore system to old driver, which is in the 40 or so range from Toshiba circa 2002.

84.25 does not work at all, black screen and windows wont boot.

So, I decided to do a more thorough search using the search forum window. I never found the exact string "GeForce4 420 Go" or "GeForce 4 Go 420" in ANY modded inf file for any of the 70, 80, 85 or 90 series forums. The closest I got was "GeForce4 420 Go 32M" on the 77.77 driver, which conicidentally almost works OK.

Hi,

Disable VMR to view video. For Toshibas, check the pinned topic about the black bar. If you put in your required settings, you get a different .inf to put in the folder, which allows the proper resolution.

Everything I've read says 77.77 is the best for the Geforce4 420 GO - I've tried it & seen a little improvement on DVD playback. My laptop is an M15-S405 by the way.

Cheers

Sandman

Edited by sandman55

cout << "Hello World"; //This is a ###### nice site

but my prob.: i've reading thousands of topics in this board - no i think i am getting blind. but i just want to update my graphCard to enhance the gameplay of oblivion...

i've bought me an ASUS A6JM with an GF go7600 including 512MB of VideoRAM, 1Gig of RAM and an Celeron T24000 (DualC 1,83 GHz).

then i've googled for better drivers, found your site... have read, and read, and read... and come to the conclusion to install the new 91.31 inclusive the .inf from the latest 32-bit-thread.

after installation: beside the setup-menue isn't displayed correct (but that's not the worse thing).. oblivion wouldn't start correctly. i'll get a bluescreen where windows (xp :-) display something like "graphic hardware runs in a loop" oder 'does not reply' and the system will shut down

SO MY QUESTION

BILL - what could you recommend me for a driver for my system (either performance or quality) - it would not get out of my mind that the 91.31 is maybe wrong for my system... :-?

Edited by Dr$arez

Guest Guest

Hi there I'm having a few problems with my new laptop. Its an Advent 7092 2 gig RAM GeForce go 6800 with 256 mb ext mem. I have tried a few new drivers and none of them seem to work. I dont know where I can updte my bios either, I have searched everwhere and cant find an update. The processor is an Intel p M 750 1.86 GHZ if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is doing my head in. Thanks guys!

Can this topic be splitted please! It's a collection of support requests belonging in the support forum. Also most of these are offtopic to Bill's Driver Recommendation!

I will work on this and answer questions and split stuff when I have time, I am very busy right now, but will probably this week.

Guest, this is also offtopic (as it's too specific obviously) and should be in a seperate thread. Also, we offer answers for those kind of questions all over the FAQ forum section.

Hi all,

I'm rather inexperienced with this issue so i'd like to ask you for advice. I have an hp zd7000 (p4, 3.2 ghz, 512 ram) with an nVidia Fx go 5700 128mb (2 year old laptop). I have not updated the graphics drivers since i got the laptop, and i dont think hp has made new drivers since the release of it haha. anyways, i've done some research, but i just have a few questions left.

1. How exactly do i go about doing this whole process, step by step?

from what i've gathered this is what i need to do:

a. download recommended drivers here (84.xx right?) and the modded inf file.

b. create a system restore point in case something goes wrong.

c. uninstall my current nvidia drivers to ensure a clean new install. (from what i understand, without the drivers, the video card will still perform basic functions like...display, just not do complicated things like process 3D, etc... is that correct?)

-restart here?

d. replace original inf file with modded inf file.

e. install using the setup.exe file or by hard disk method.

-restart here?

are there any steps (no matter how insignificant they may be to you) at all that im missing? ie. restart after uninstallation of original driver/installation of new laptopvideo2go driver, etc.

in case things go wrong, this is what i'm supposed to do from what i've read.

either:

i. go back to restore point that i set in step b.

or

ii. "roll back drivers" option in the display manager.

is that correct? if so, should i go with option i or ii?

Thats about it. Thanks very much for your time and input in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, I'd like a reccomendation. I have an Alienware Area 51-M 770 which originally had a GeForce 5700 Go which burned out and was replaced with a 5600Go. It works ok, but I find that I have to run many things in "Windowed Mode" because of it crashing the system when switching to AGP mode (as in, duh, gaming.) Since my drivers are nearing a year oldnes now I think I am way past due for an update, so at your best, please make a suggestion and I will make sure to post my results.

Thank you in advance

-Hawkeye

Hey there, I'd like a reccomendation. I have an Alienware Area 51-M 770 which originally had a GeForce 5700 Go which burned out and was replaced with a 5600Go. It works ok, but I find that I have to run many things in "Windowed Mode" because of it crashing the system when switching to AGP mode (as in, duh, gaming.) Since my drivers are nearing a year oldnes now I think I am way past due for an update, so at your best, please make a suggestion and I will make sure to post my results.

Thank you in advance

-Hawkeye

Nice to see another AW person here...Anyway I recommend 84.63. If you want the new control pannel and dont care about losing a bit of speed, then use 91.33. BTW use Whitetigerx7's Alienware INF.

Edited by The_Lead_Factor

Not to be rude, but pls. remove the attachment as there is an dedicated thread for Whitetigers INF.

Pls. link to it for downloading reasons and we're all set. This prevents confussion for new people which INF to download (which one is more recent etc.)

The thing is, I cant find the thread where I downloaded that one....The thread thats listed in every driver page is the old one. If you dont believe me then try looking yourself....The one I posted was a the thread where he said it was tested with 91.33 BTW.

EDIT: Nm I found it and edited my post. Sry about that but the link in each driver page really is outdated.

Thanks for the hint. We need to figure out which one is the most recent thread because he has 3 threads with his INF and it's confusing at least for me.

The latest one (July) is the link I posted.

• 1 month later...

Hi, very blessed to find your site

Now I have Dell lap C840 equipped with original GE4 440 32mb

It is supposed to be installed according to Everest info but I can't find any tab for GE4 at display from Control Panel . So does the latest driver 84.21 would work with mine and how should I remove the one on now whatever it is. Now will I lose my desktop in that process? Sorry for my ignorance. BTW I do not game at all but need dual view for projector . Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am just going off wall trying to find updates for my Toshiba M30 with a Geforce FX Go5200 Video card.

I looked everywhere! then finally after hours and hours of looking, i stumble upon a forum and in which they mentioned this forum, so i checked it out and you guys know your stuff!

I really hope you can help me!

First off; I've been trying to run Age of Empires III on my computer, but it gives me an error msg about my device driver and or / direct3D, so I updated that and still nothing! It wont run! So I checked the log and it says:

PreGame 1911: nvCPL is unavailable.

I look it up on google and nvCPL is a .dll and it's an extension of Nvidia...

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that, I need to update my video card, even if there isn't a "full" update available, I will love it if I could find the nvCPL for it.

Other than that, I havent updated my performance in a while; I mean when I was registering and looking through some of the threads, I see people saying they have updated their BIOS and such...maybe someone can help me out on that if they can understand what I'm trying to say cause I think I'm just rambling now...

bah...I use to be so good with computers...###### updates! I'm starting to hate Toshiba!

Help me pewz?!!

Thanks for your time!

Hi Bush

I'm certainly not one of the pros here but I can see I use driver 66.93(We have the same video card) and when I look in C:\NVIDIA\Win2XP\66.93, I can see NcCpl.dl_

Perhap 66.93 could work for you from: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html ?

I tried a lot of drivers and this one seems to be the best. If you go into the higher numbers you'll find they aren't compatible with the card.

Larry has made some wicked INFs that improve the drivers performance but you'll need to read up more on that. http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7755

Perhap 66.93 could work for you from: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html ?

Larry has made some wicked INFs that improve the drivers performance but you'll need to read up more on that. http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7755

Of course it doesn't work without a mobile INF.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am new to this entire laptop thing. I have years, and I mean years (20 plus) of piecing together desktops, writing basic files and trouble shooting. My question is regarding the laptops. I recently purchased a used Inspiron 8100 from a freind. It had the original 16mb video card. I bought a geforce4 440 from ebay (new). The dell 8200 driver did not work. I downloaded laptopvideo2go 81.94 and the mod inf file and that seems to work. The only problem now is the Dell logo at boot up wont come up and I can't get into my setup/bios screen anymore. Any suggestions? Did I not choose the right driver for this laptop. I am somewhat laptop stupid so you will have to be patient with me. I have heard of people upgrading the computer and video card bios with disasterous results.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ok,

Let me clarify something. After further investigation I am able to access my dell bios setup but only with an external monitor hooked up. This leads me to believe that the video card is fine but there must be some conflict on the 8100 bios that keeps the screen in the 75% black and 25% gray/white bands until the video driver has been loaded and windows takes over. I am not sure that I want or need to even mess with this. There probably is not a fix for this anyway.

Again, any help is appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Could you help me with finding a good driver for my graphic card?

I' ve got a Dell Inspiron 8200.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional v. 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Kompilacja 2600

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1694 Mhz

Version system BIOS Dell Computer Corporation A11, 2004-01-07

Version SMBIOS 2.3

NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (Microsoft Corporation) RAM 64,00 MB

driver: nv4_disp.dll v. 6.14.10.5673

1024 x 768 x 61 Hz

c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.10.5673), 1,81 MB (1 897 408 bajtów), 2004-06-07

Is there something I can upgrate (flashbios, Video card bios?). I've found on dell's website such files:

- video bios - A06NV17.exe

- flash bios - 8200_A11.exe

- video driver - R58746.exe

Are they ok form me? If not are there newer files?

And also I've got a question is there a possiblity to instal a forceware. If so what version. (or maybe a forceware is a video card driver? I'm not sure but I think that is an extra software isn't it?)

Please help.

You already have the A11 BIOS, there is no need to change it unless you want to use the C/Dock II docking station, which requires you to cross flash the BIOS to a Latitude C840 or Precision M50 (bad idea unless you really know what you are doing).

As for the video BIOS, you shouldn't upgrade that either. If anything that could break your card instead of fixing anything useful.

Now for the actual graphics card driver, try 77.77 with Pieter's mod INF.

Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure if I should upgrade my flashbios and video bios. Now I know everything. But speaking about 77.77 and .inf file, could you paste a link where I can download those files? I have found only:

84.21: Driver / Pieter's modified INF

81.98: Driver / Pieter's modified INF

82.12: Driver / Pieter's modified INF.

And please tell me is it safe using this .inf? Or is there a possibility that my system or sth will crush?

Sorry for so many questions :)