LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best Driver for Geforce4 4200 Go?

Guest dimitris

@freonchill

My temp prob has 69°C when running 2d windows, I don't do 3d on this machine. That's why I was worried. With 61.11 it crashed around that time, somehow it doesn't anymore.

About the WiFi: I've read it somewhere, but can't remember where. I think it was the manufacturers website (broadcom I think). Try this link: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=U...broadcom+xpress

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oVan

• DeaconSix

• ®®®

• Bill

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dimitris

@freonchill

as for stability - using dell's official drivers i've only had about 10-12 BSoD in the past 13 months i own the D800. I didn't complain about the stability in general. What I said is that things look as if like there is a tradeoff between stability (Dell's Official 44.87 (rock stable) and performance (5x.xx - desktop modded drivers). I just complained that using Dell's official drivers (pretty low in the 4x.xx series) you experience high perfomance drops in the gaming area. I currently work towards my Electrical and Computer Engineering Degree, therefore have little time to spare, but I would like to be able to enjoy a nice modern game without having to see terrible framerates... something that i believe 5x.xx can offer me...

as for standby - I believe it's a very nice feature. When I am at work and want to leave office for about an hour or so I believe putting my laptop on standby is the best option. I don't have to waste 1 gb of hard disk for hibernation nor wait for the laptop to power up if it shuts down. What are these issues that everyone has had in the past and you are mentioning ?

as for "catch on fire" - it was a exaggeration obviously.. but i believe a excused one. I would not like my gpu operating +10C just because of the drivers. I don't expect it to blow up, nor would I be dramatic if something happened to it (that's why I always buy Dell Laptops -- they have an amazing Next Business Day On Site 3 Year Guarante :) ). I just would like my gpu running as it cool as possible. Obviously that's a trade off with perfomance. Still having +10C just because of the drivers I believe is not something to be desiring...

as for temp in windows 2d -- I am always at 52-55 in windows according to i8kfangui.

@oVan -- what drivers do you currently use ? Since we have the exact same config maybe I'll give them a try...

dimitris

Guest freonchill

yea - woke up this morning and I8kfanGUI said my gpu was @ 75C

everything else was @ standard temps

CPU @ 44C

HD @ 50C (in use during the night)

DIMM @ 52C (samsungs can get hot - when im using it they can get up to 66C)

turned the 2nd fan on high and its dropped to 65C in about 5min

but yea - still havent gotten around to gaming...

freonchill:

what .inf did you use, is what i am asking

ovin:

nvdm.inf did not give you the same success you just reported? for the success you reported, which .inf files did you use?

@all

At the moment I'm using the 61.12 with original nvdm.inf. It doesn't crash like 61.11 did, so I'll keep it running for a while.

I keep it at Dynamic switching (in SpeedSwitchXP) most of the time: keeps cpu temp down (and therefore little bit gpu temp), consumes less battery and non-gaming speed is almost equally good as it switches into high gear when needed.

:)

Guest freonchill
freonchill:

what .inf did you use, is what i am asking

is there a way to tell by checking in the registry - b/c i cant remember...

well looking in the reg i found this key entry, though i dont know how accurate it is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings
InstalledDisplayDrivers = nv4_disp

but then there also is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
InfPath = oem14.inf

which when i look @ oem14.inf (in c:\windows\inf\)

its the same file as the NVDM.inf

so, i guess i chose the NVDM.inf

since in the c:\windows\inf\ the only other oem#.inf that is for a video driver is the 56.72 that i was playing w/ before; and there is no nv_disp.inf

Ok, here is my protocol and results.

I uninstalled my 61.12 dirvers, that had been installed using pieters modified .inf files.

(as per driver cleaner 3.1's instructions) i rebooted into safe mode, and ran driver cleaner 3.1 using "nvidia" setting.

i rebooted into normal mode, and installed the 61.12 drivers, as normal, using the NVDM.inf file.

This fixed the standby/lid closure issues. I have had this issue ever since i deviated from using the dell released 44.xx drivers (though, ive never really cared about this issue). I am guessing (from testamony on this forum) that i have probably fixed my "TV out is black and white" issue as well.

UT2k4 seems to be a bit more stable.

futurmark03 benchmark results are identicle (1145 +/- a few points for both .inf files)

I dont think installing drivers ontop of other drivers is a good idea (ie using dells latest drivers, then putting 61.12 using NVDM.inf ontop of them without uninstalling first). At least i have always heard, from a variety of knowlegable sources, that this is a bad idea. As i stated, i got the same results, just going through a standard routine and using NVDM.inf instead of other .inf files (wich sucks, cuz the NVDM.inf installs drivers with extreamly limited functionality....i want my perminant twinview/clone screen back!)

but, whatever works for you guys

EDIT

i have never really had heating issues. with all drivers, my computer runs at about 40-42 in windows, and about 62-72 during UT2k4 play. but i have a different system then the active posters on this thread (by the way, my fan GUI app only gives me HD temp and CPU temp...is that really a HD temperature?...and is there a way to get the GPU temp to display?)

-D6

Guest dimitris

@all,

downloaded 61.12 and 20.55 inf from main site.

removed 52.16 from control panel.

rebooted in safe mode.

used driver cleaner (found 3 files).

installed device manager->update driver->have disk->nv4_disp.inf in 61.12 directory.

rebooted.

MIRACLE !

none of the drivers greater than 52.16 and less than 56.72 had ever given me the ability to go into standby.

Now i do. GPU temp about 5 degrees higher than before. about 60. Only side effect (quite annoying) second fan (gpu) keeps running and there's noise now.

can't test wifi yet. Access point blew up. Ordered another one should have it next week.

about standby -- Until now standby meant = main power lid (above f7 and f8) switched off, secondary lid (base of monitor) blinking at a slow rate, all fans switched off.

Now --> main lid remaining open, secondary blinking fast, monitor shut down but cpu fan DOESNOT shut down. When I press power (as before to resume from shutdown) everything powers up normal.... anyone has that ?

dimitris

dimitri, i believe, what you have just posted (at the exact same minute, i made my post) is that you used the origional .inf files, not the NVDM or pieters modified .inf files.

i did this, when i first got these drivers. things ran alright, but i got better results using pieters drivers, and even better results (including functional standby/lid closing) using the NVDM.inf files.

try doing what i posted before you (by about 3 seconds)

good luck

-D6

Guest Nerdtalker
dimitri, i believe, what you have just posted (at the exact same minute, i made my post) is that you used the origional .inf files, not the NVDM or pieters modified .inf files.

i did this, when i first got these drivers. things ran alright, but i got better results using pieters drivers, and even better results (including functional standby/lid closing) using the NVDM.inf files. 

try doing what i posted before you (by about 3 seconds)

good luck

-D6

Do you click Geforce 4 4200go w/standby fix or one of the others?

Which one? :)

I still put my money behind the 44.03s, fastest by far.

with the NVDM.inf there is no option for gf4 4200 go with standby fix

the ONLY option is gf4 4200 go (dell mobile)

-D6

Guest freonchill
by the way, my fan GUI app only gives me HD temp and CPU temp...is that really a HD temperature?...and is there a way to get the GPU temp to display?

yea, as a side note - fanGUI latest version is 2.2.0

but yea - options / status reading

then check the left column and there are check boxes for

CPU

GPU

DIMM

other

HD

a popup dialog box will probably pop up when you select any of them

as for hd temp - yea - most recent harddrives have built in diode's for monitoring temperature

I'm reading that thread , but can"t really follow :) .

What driver version and which INF has WiFi problems or heat problem?

OEM14.inf is just a copy of nvdm.inf in your case (some post above).

If you install a driver make sure, that only one INF is in the folder (for obvious reasons to avoid confusion later).

To explain the 2 INFs confusion in that thread i have to say, that it doesn't matter for XP or 2K which INF you select (have disk method/update driver) when choosing an INF from out of the folder. Just the folder is important for the Operating System. XP searches ALL infs in that folder and find GPU model which best matches to what your DEV_ID & SUBSYS_ID is. Therefore you might have 2 options available in the select dialog which is the result of having obviously 2 INFs in the folder.

Btw the link to the mobile INF in the drivers section of the forum is ALWAYS the same as on Pieters frontpage. If the INF gets updated i.ie 20.55 to 20.59 both links (Pieters Mainpage and driver section) will give you the same updated INF.

Guest dimitris

@D6

I've installed 61.12 with Pieter's inf Geforce4 4200 Go w/ Standby fix.

My post above is for this config.

@oVan

What drivers do you use? How did you install them? Do you normally go into standby or do you experience what I described above?

dimitris

//edit...

installed 61.12 from pieter's inf as normally described.

standby back on !! a bit hot !

i'll keep monitoring it..

@dimitris

The standby fix has never work for me, so right there it seems there is a difference between the D800 and the I8500. Infact, no drivers w/ or w/o standby fixes has ever gotton the standby to work (other then DELL drivers)

To make things clear for everyone, here is a rough and quick history of my experience with the 61.12 drivers and associated .inf files.

nvidia origianal .inf - stable | low framerate UT2k4 | mark03 1100 | NO standby

pieters mod .inf- very stable | good framerate UT2k4 | mark03 1145 | NO Standby

NVDM.inf - very stable |best UT2k4 performance | mark03 1145 | standby fixed

Not that I want to add more confusion, but when I put my d800 into standby, and then dock it to the D/View station, gpu temp is hight (68°C+). Next I reboot the system and I'm back to 58°C.

So, there's definitely something causing the gpu to do more work at times...

:)

Guest dimitris

@all,

strange, strange thing happened.

About 3-4 days ago I posted 3dmark2001se scores for different drivers...

Yesterday morning my bluetooth module crashed and screwed up my o/s. As I planned on formatting my pc a long time ago, I gave it a go...

I formatted, installed xp, and installed every single program I used before (even Matlab)...

I installed Dell's 44.87 and ran a test benchmark with 3dmark2001se.

I repeat every single program that was running before is running again.

Now 3 days ago I got scores from 6300 - 7300 (Dell's 44.87 gave me ~6900).

Now I just saw 9631 (3dmark's setting are all the same 1024x768x32)...

any clue why ?

dimitris

Guest Nerdtalker

Well, I just tested the 61.12 drivers against the 44.03's and the 44.03s are still significantly faster in 3dmark01, Halo, and C&C generals...

The 61.12s work a little better in 3dmark03 and Splinter Cell, but the 44.03s are dramatically faster in the other titles I mentioned...

@nerdtalker

wich .inf files did you use? i saw dramatic differences in gameplay between the 3 different .inf files you have to choose from with these drivers (for us: origional .inf files, pieters modified .inf files, NVDM.inf files)

-D6

Guest freonchill

i could get around 9400-9600 when i first got my d800 last august

though that was w/ nothing running other than system services, nav, trillian, background programs (dell quickset, zone alarm, touchpad software, sound icon, fanGUI, wifi stuff)

Guest dimitris

i used the original dell 44.87 .. no inf added just ran the .exe.

xp sp1 fully patched, background = sb audigy 2 nx mediasource, speedswitch, i8kfangui, symantec client security 2.0, quickset, dell wlan driver, messenger, diskeeper service).

score with dell drivers 9645 3dmark 2001 se.

dimitris

Guest Elk-Hair

Been waching this forum (and site) a lot, and i must say to all contributing to this forum: Great job, keep it up! :)

I followed the method described by freonchill (driver cleaner, safe mode, new driver), and i have no problems at all with the newest (61.40) and my gpu is idling at the same temp as always. Had to upgrade fram 60.72, because there were some odd textures in TOCA Race Driver 2 but it's all gone now.

Elk-Hair

---

SPECS: Dell Inspiron 8500, Pentium 4-M 2.4 Ghz, 512 RAM (2x256), 40 Gb HDD, 1680x1050 Screen, v61.40 with v20.60 inf, GeForce4 4200 Go 64MB, WinXP Pro SP1

Guest Elk-Hair

Sry for the (very) late reply....

No haven't tried it yet but i'll do it later today.

Just as an update: No problems yet....at all!! :)

Elk-Hair

---

SPECS: Dell Inspiron 8500, Pentium 4-M 2.4 Ghz, 512 RAM (2x256), 40 Gb HDD, 1680x1050 Screen, v61.40 with v20.60 inf, GeForce4 4200 Go 64MB, WinXP Pro SP1

Guest Elk-Hair

No probs with tv-out, using dualview at the moment :)

Hope it works for all of you!

Elk-Hair

---