LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Virtual Sound M | Sound output enhancement

sn0wl

I think the first post is good as it is now. People usually know their sound card by their manufacturer/model, not their service name. It is more understandable and better for us also to know what card the service belongs to.

Thanks for your effords. Oh and I wonder if it explicitly checks for the audio service or just for a service running with that name. Should we try a generic service that we sure know it is running?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ultima

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• LSudlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah, I'd thought of that already, but it didn't work. Apparently, the filter enumerates the sound devices on your computer, and lists it under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Enum. From what I can tell, it then goes on to check each service listed the Parameters key, and if it finds one, it compares the Enum, and if it finds a matching device, it enables the filter on that device. At least that's my hypothesis.

When I tried using AudioSrv as the only service a while ago, the tray icon displayed correctly, but properties weren't working properly, as LSudlow described here.

As for changing the first post... it's cool, not that big a deal for me. Another reason I had suggested it in the first place was that some audio driver services don't only show up for certain audio devices, but across many different models, so I felt that providing the name might have it either become a long specific list (if we decide to include every single model listed), or an inaccurate generic list (if we decide to just list a generic family of cards, which might not encompass every single card). But oh well =P

Edited by Ultima

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i have bought a now portable computer. Its from Fujitsu-Siemens with the model number A1667G. This book is formally known as a Uniwill P50CA barebone for OEM like FSC.

I have testet if TVS is working on it, but it doesn't.

I have checked out the needed information vor Ultima. Maybe he could add support for the following AC97 Sound Codec.

Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.

Modell: Implended Audio in the Southbridge VT8237® The Vinyl Deck added the Codecname VT1618

Service:VIAudio

Ultima, I hope this informations help you to add support for Via Audio Codec users.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Your faithfully

Edited by Mike

Before he adds support, can you please use attached reg file and confirm it works? You need to restart after merging it.

Sn0wl, you did great work... an it WORKS :)

Nice... the sound system from Toshiba is great :)

The support for Via Vinyl AC97 Soundcodecs is now proved by me!

Edited by Mike

Now that it has proven to be working, I leave the rest to Ultima to wield his magic on it :)

Rene I found something you might be interested in. This batch file lists all services installed. Maybe you can make it list only sound card enumerated services?

• 3 weeks later...

:) i'll try to find time to perfect it the way we need it.

Regarding AEAudio:

The DELL i'm working on 'features' a "SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio" soundcard which is AC'97 and Andrea Electronics according to aeaudio.sys.

Service Name is: smwdm

Upper DeviceFilter is: aeaudio

Lower DeviceFilter is: empty

Upper ClassFilter is: empty

Lower ClassFilter is: empty

I haven't followed the thread in complete details, so which one needs to be added to TVS (Service Name smwdm or Upper Device Filter aeaudio)?

Grr, and I had just sent an updated version to sn0wl before you posted the new service... :)

The service name (smwdm) is what needs to be added. If you want to add the sound device, in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tvs\Parameters, just edit one of the existing ServiceName values and change the value data to smwdm. Then restart the computer.

Edited by Ultima

Did you send? I didn't get anything. What was it, 1.03.09?

Can all of you post the result?

Beware: XP Home Users and Windows 2K cannot use this command as they lack the WMI Console. No clue about VISTA yet.

-> only usable @ XP Pro and W2K3

//edit attachment removed

Edited by ®®®

Excellent job.

Hi there, BETA tester

The Audio Service Name for TVS.ini is "STAC97".

Thanks Larry.

Yes an excellent 3 liner :) but impossible to realize for 2K/XP Home :) Anyone with an idea? What i need is the automatic determination of the registry location of the soundcard (which is easy with 'wmic get sounddev'). As DEV and VENDOR ID always differs with different kind of soundcards (and the unknown ones we search) i have no clue how to do it.

My hints so far (on the DELL PC here at work):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\%PUT IN YOUR VEN_ID&DEV_ID&SUBSYS_ID&REV_ID%\%PCI_BUSNUMBER%&%unknown:172e68dd%&%THIS ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE "0"&%UNKNOWN: FD%

where %PCI_BUSNUMBER%= 3 means PCI Bus 0

where %PCI_BUSNUMBER%= 4 means PCI Bus 1

What could be a clue is the value "LocationInformation" including the "function 5" which could mean SoundDevice :P Can anybody confirm? Also it's localized (so here it's in German), which makes it pretty useless: PCI-Bus 0, Gerät 31, Funktion 5

Hi there, BETA tester

The Audio Service Name for TVS.ini is "emu10k".

[soundBlaster Live! Value (Desktop PC)]

Hi there, BETA tester

The Audio Service Name for TVS.ini is "ac97intc".

[intel® 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audiocontroller]

Hi there, BETA tester

The Audio Service Name for TVS.ini is "STAC97".

[sigmatel C-Major Audio]

I attached a file for TVS audio service readout and added a bit text about it.

I found a solution (using DEVCON :duh: ) for XP Home and 2K users and will implement it to the NERD tool :)

I knew you'd find a way, Rene!

:)

Thanks Larry :)

If there's a will, there's a way :)

TVS v1.03.09 Released

Title: Toshiba Virtual Sound for Windows XP

Version: 1.03.09

Size: 2,961,552 bytes

Posted: 06/13/06

Released Date: 06/09/06

Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP SP2

Download page: Toshiba Support (US)

Download: virtual_sound_24835A.exe (direct link)

:)

The only file that changed was Tvs.sys -- bumped up a sub-version number (2.0.1.3 to 2.0.1.4). I made an installer, but haven't gotten around to testing it. Should I post it?

Why not :) It would be nice if you also add the new found services (if time allows it).

It's worth a news for the frontpage :)

Yep, I added all services listed in this thread =]

I'll post an attachment here, since I couldn't get my last email through to sn0wl before. Feel free to delete it if you save it to a more permanent location.

(Note that I switched over to NSIS from InnoSetup, so that cut the size by approximately 200KB :) )

Edit: Removed attachment to save your quota and keep people out of confusion.

Edited by sn0wl

Many thanks to those who made this possible! I appreciate your work.

There is one thing about this program that I find irritating: when set to 'off' it isn't truly off, it is degrading the sound quality by reducing the volume a bit. It also seems to sound a little bit dead, but that may be my imagination. Imho, ?off? should sound identical to not having the application installed but it?s not the case. I'm sure this is done to make the listener hear a greater difference between having the effect on or off but I think that's a bit deceptive and unnecessary. I can get around the problem in my production apps by using asio4all drivers which bypass the TVS. There?s nothing I can do for other apps that don?t support asio other than turning up the volume when I don?t want TVS. It seems to be fairly common for sound enhancing apps to do this trick, I remember another winamp plugin that did the same thing.

If you want to test this yourself, try installing asio4all drivers and compare the difference between asio and directsound (or sound mapper) in an audio application like Acid.

Yep, I added all services listed in this thread =]
So the first post needs to be updated meantioning the new devices aka is it outdated?