LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Covert)

Covert

holy smokes covert you've been busy!!!

very well done mate.

expect to be busier around the time when nvidia releases their next drivers.......

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Covert

• coolcop06

• Mushu

• wulfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

holy smokes covert you've been busy!!!

very well done mate.

expect to be busier around the time when nvidia releases their next drivers.......

My 1-week holiday ends this monday :) are you going to be modifying every new official nvidia driver?

Anyways if any of you'd like to know about the benchmarking process I spent just over 2 days almost non-stop benching. I'd get a benchmark going and then play some PSP, Xbox 360 or a few pages of a book, write down the results, open a new benchmark, then repeat that for who knows how long. When I had delays like going to the grocery store, bathroom, dinner, and whatnot, I usually had a benchmark going too.

The results I have now are highly accurate and comparable finally and the game benchmarks give a much better idea of how the drivers perform :)

hi, i have a XPS 1530 with 8600m gt and T8300

and i wonder which driver is the best for overclocking.

and i also concern if heat will be a problem on this laptop. i dont have aftermarket laptop coolers

thanks

please email me @ siyun2911@yahoo.com

thanks again.

Hi...I just updated to the latest version 180.43 from the factory version (sorry, didn't take a note its version...maybe 169.xx)

Dell XPS 1530

CPU C2D 2.5gHz

RAM 4gb

GPU 8600m GT

I tested with 3D Mark 06 at resolution 1680-1050(native), got 3339 for 169.xx version and 3600+ for 180.43.

Can anyone give me advice which driver version is the best for my configuration/to play games like Crysis, The Witcher, Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 ? I know someone would point me out there's no exact answer to say the best but somehow best suit for the games rendering and also for overclocking ? And also, if you don't mind, can tell me what's the difference with DOX version and where can I find it ?

thanks in advance

Hi...I just updated to the latest version 180.43 from the factory version (sorry, didn't take a note its version...maybe 169.xx)

Dell XPS 1530

CPU C2D 2.5gHz

RAM 4gb

GPU 8600m GT

I tested with 3D Mark 06 at resolution 1680-1050(native), got 3339 for 169.xx version and 3600+ for 180.43.

Can anyone give me advice which driver version is the best for my configuration/to play games like Crysis, The Witcher, Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 ? I know someone would point me out there's no exact answer to say the best but somehow best suit for the games rendering and also for overclocking ? And also, if you don't mind, can tell me what's the difference with DOX version and where can I find it ?

thanks in advance

I'm using an XPS m1530 and 180.43 are the best drivers for all those games, particularly Farcry 2 (you get a decent 10-20% boost in FPS over 178.13), and as for overclocking it works well (I haven't been doing OC much, because summer is coming in Aus and it gets hot).

Dox's version is essentially a stripped down and optimised version of the orginal. It offers better performance and boot times (very small) than the original.

Link for Dox's 180.43 http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=21398

Edited by Au_Xtr3me

hi,

in order to compare my notebook with coverts results i benched crysis at:

12800x800 , dx10 , no aa, all settings on medium. i get an average framerate of 18.01 fps. with a t8300, 3 gb ddr2 ram and a 9500m gs 512 mb ddr2 ram (which is -as far as i know- a slightly modified 86000gt) . driver is dox's 180.43. so my question is: did i do the test correct and can the results be right?

hi,

in order to compare my notebook with coverts results i benched crysis at:

12800x800 , dx10 , no aa, all settings on medium. i get an average framerate of 18.01 fps. with a t8300, 3 gb ddr2 ram and a 9500m gs 512 mb ddr2 ram (which is -as far as i know- a slightly modified 86000gt) . driver is dox's 180.43. so my question is: did i do the test correct and can the results be right?

Firstly, you have a 9500m gs 512 which is more powerful than my card, and also you are running at a lower resolution than my 1440 x 900 so it all adds up to better framerate than me =) I can only hope I'll be able to play at 18 fps on my card sometime!

thx for the reply, unfortunatly i cant test at 1440x900 because of my native resolution...

Actually you can set above your native resolution and when your mouse goes to the edge of the screen the whole screen moves. You have to check the advanced options for screen resolution or use a program but you can do it.

Strange how Dox's drivers that should be optimized for games have better performance in 3dMrak06.. should not be viceversa?

this is my first post in this lovely forum so,

hello @all :)

i was wondering why i cant install those 180.43 drivers on my dell 1520..im not really into all that driver thing so please dont blame me :)

cheers,

gregor

sorry for my bad english

this is my first post in this lovely forum so,

hello @all :)

i was wondering why i cant install those 180.43 drivers on my dell 1520..im not really into all that driver thing so please dont blame me :)

cheers,

gregor

sorry for my bad english

You need to place the modified inf (see download page of driver for link) in the folder of the extracted driver files, then try to install again, if it gives you a warning just accept it.

You need to place the modified inf (see download page of driver for link) in the folder of the extracted driver files, then try to install again, if it gives you a warning just accept it.

uuh great!!!thanx again,mate :)

hmmm..i installed the 180.43 driver,used powermizer switch but my temperatur is still @ ~87° while playing fallout 3...anyone can help?

Hello there and thank you for this nice thread.

I have a question however.

My notebook is equipped with a 8600m GT SLi 256Mb, would the best drivers in your benchmark also be the best for what I have or is there some kind of SLi specific series?

Thanks in advance.

Guest evil corn
Please can you bench 169.09? This is the one i'm using, and I need convinced that there are better than this because this driver rocks!

I would appreciate it greatly my friend!

that driver is really old. try playing crysis with that driver and 179.13. you will see a huge difference.

169.09 is fast but stutters alot when playing games.

Guest Amanda J
that driver is really old. try playing crysis with that driver and 179.13. you will see a huge difference.

169.09 is fast but stutters alot when playing games.

It doesn't stutter at all here! Plus why 179.13 when that is not the best according to Covert's testing?

Conclusion off all discusion and benchmarking test

WHAT IS THE BEST AND THE FASTEST DRIVER FOR MY SYSTEM at this time :) :)

Acer 5920G

Core 2 Duo T7500 2,2GHz

Nvidia 8600M GT 512 VRAM GDDR2

OS : Windows XP Pro 32 bit ( by the way, what is better in games experience XP 32 or Vista 32 :P ), now i use XP 32

Now i'm still use the original driver from laptops manufacturing,

Answer my question please :P :rofl: and the link where to downloads thats driver

Edited by meruyantoro

Guest Demonhotrod

Hi, First off great work Covert! Without your benchmarks I wouldnt of known where to begin with my laptop drivers.

Secondly i'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520, C2D T7250 @ 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 8600M GT using 178.13 Dox drivers at 1280x800 resolution, oh and Vista x86. I've just ran a 3dMark06 stress test on my system and i've come out with the following results:

3dmarklm3.jpg

Now these results are lower than what you were able to achieve , which is probably because your system is much better than mine but does anyone know if this is good/bad/other for my system haha?

Hey Covert, can you try Dox's new 180.44 release? :)

Hey Covert, can you try Dox's new 180.44 release? :)

Yup

Hi, First off great work Covert! Without your benchmarks I wouldnt of known where to begin with my laptop drivers.

Secondly i'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520, C2D T7250 @ 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 8600M GT using 178.13 Dox drivers at 1280x800 resolution, oh and Vista x86. I've just ran a 3dMark06 stress test on my system and i've come out with the following results:

3dmarklm3.jpg

Now these results are lower than what you were able to achieve , which is probably because your system is much better than mine but does anyone know if this is good/bad/other for my system haha?

You have exactly the same system as me except I am using Vista 64 and have 4GB of RAM so you can't be that far off :)