LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 182.46

Dox

ROFL ;-)

Thanx seems so logical now :) I thought it was something way more complicated....some king of new sophisticated 3D term lol

And yeah for me too, a solid average framerate is more enjoyable than one causing anarchical variations...

I'd to figure out by myself too... since I'm italian! :) To much acronym in the world!

I agree... better a stable framerate with good IQ ( :P ) than exceed in just one of those!

Now I'd rollback on my driver, to best appreciate Dox one (well it seems really good to me anyway!)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• frank604

• ca36gtp

• ZeroX_Advanced

Guest Guest
I've had this problem before with my buddy's desktop. We just use Windows' built-in manager to select a primary driver and drag around the placement of the monitors (right-click on desktop, Personalize, Display Settings). You can right click on the monitor you want as "Primary" here.

First, thanks for your help. i was hoping dox could help but :)

Still tryed again like u said, but when i right clic on the external monitor, the "primary" word is gray...

Any other ideas ? :)

Dox, as we have pretty same config, do you use ur external monitor with dual view mode as a primary?

Guest ZeroX_Advanced

Hi all,

At firs these drivers looked really good. I went from 3600 points in 3dmark 2006 to almost 4000.

Then I tried playing FEAR2 with these drivers, the Image Quality a bit weird if you looked very good.

Almost like the contrast was a bit off.. After having 2 BSOD's and the DEMO WANTED: weapons of fate had very ugly

display errors.. (you could see that the Image Quality was of) I decided to clean install 182.05 on quality.

What a difference in visuals!!! My problems were fixed with the contrast aspects, also a very noticeable difference

in Image Quality. I stay with 182.05 for a while and see if it runs stable..

I cannot recommend these drivers on a 8600M 512M GT..

Try 182.05 instead!

Question: If I want unmodded drivers, which one is best in performance for my GPU?

Anyone with experience on this?

I've been running this driver since Dox released it on the setup to the left and it runs great. I haven't had any BSODs or errors of any type. I recommend the above poster, Guest_ZeroX_Advanced_, makes sure they don't have any other hardware issues causing their BSODs.

Edited by Twisteds7

Guest Guest
No, I always force it on with my drivers.

Not sure what OS or card you are using...

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply, that's appreciated :-) I'm using Visa 32 Home Edition, on an Acer laptop.

Video card is 9600 GS. Laptop is a 7730G.

Here's a picture of what I'm getting when using Acer's power management utility. Before using your drivers, I could set the speed of the video card to low, medium or high. Now, I don't see this potion anymore (should be under LCD).

ecf2ece8229dded96e5d58db924f0.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot edit my previous post anymore since I wasn't logged in..

The driver might work for you (8600GT users) , but I NEVER had a BSOD in any game before with my stock drivers which came with my compal notebook

(156.10). this laptop is VERY stable, only two BSOD's in the past 1,5 years which is amazingly well for the 8h a day my laptop is turned on!

I can safely say that the drivers is causing the problem with my rig, I tried 182.05 and the glitches were gone.

Haven't play FEAR 2 yet with 182.05 but let you know how it performs against 182.46!!!

I've been running this driver since Dox released it on the setup to the left and it runs great. I haven't had any BSODs or errors of any type. I recommend the above poster, Guest_ZeroX_Advanced_, makes sure they don't have any other hardware issues causing their BSODs.
Edited by ZeroX_Advanced

@ guest

download gpu-z (google it)

run it when your laptop is idle (i.e when your just surfing the net) and it should be downclocked.

start a game play for a while and exit the game.

run gpu-z and your clock speed should be on max then after awhile of idling the clocks should go back to downclocked.

Unfortunately I cannot edit my previous post anymore since I wasn't logged in..

The driver might work for you (8600GT users) , but I NEVER had a BSOD in any game before with my stock drivers which came with my compal notebook

(156.10). this laptop is VERY stable, only two BSOD's in the past 1,5 years which is amazingly well for the 8h a day my laptop is turned on!

I can safely say that the drivers is causing the problem with my rig, I tried 182.05 and the glitches were gone.

Haven't play FEAR 2 yet with 182.05 but let you know how it performs against 182.46!!![/quote

can you install the unmodded 182.46 and see if the problem continues?

I am also using the 8600M GT. Do what Dox said and try the unmodified driver.

Would you recommend the unmodded 182.46 drivers in favor of your modded 182.05 drivers?

Or do you just want to check and see whether the problems is due to your modding.....?

Tnx

Haven't play FEAR 2 yet with 182.05 but let you know how it performs against 182.46!!![/quote

can you install the unmodded 182.46 and see if the problem continues?

Edited by ZeroX_Advanced

Or do you just want to check and see whether the problems is due to your modding.....?

yes. just to check to see if my performance and IQ tweaks were affecting it since you said my 182.05 works fine in those games,

and my 182.05 and 182.46 has different settings :)

if it works fine it may be something to do with the tweakset or if it crashes it means its just the drivers, not much I can then.

Thats cause I removed it, I'm not sure why you should be getting that error, its related to nvidia tray icon.

Are you on vista or xp? I assume you are on xp?

Did you clean install?

Yes, I'm on Windows XP. I uninstalled my old drivers (Dox optimised 182.05), rebooted into safe mode, driver sweeper, the whole shebang. I never got that error before, so it was a bit annoying at first until I discovered I can work around it by stopping/disabling the service.

Ok, after I test FEAR2 with modded 182.05 and verified it's working ok and no blue screen I will

check the un-modded 182.05 drivers. Also to compare Image quality, which was very crap in the demo WANTED: Fate of Weapons

(vertical stripes, not white but light stripes with odd contrast ratio..) Oh wait!!! Also I couldn't set resolutions to 1400*900 or any other res. and aspect ratio!

-with 182.05 there were no problems in changing resolutions.

The demo WANTED: Fate of Weapons is a very good testing candidate. Loads very fast and has a into movie (FMV)

Ingame effects and resolutions options, so you could perfectly test Image quality for your drivers

Thanks for answer Dox.

yes. just to check to see if my performance and IQ tweaks were affecting it since you said my 182.05 works fine in those games,

and my 182.05 and 182.46 has different settings :)

if it works fine it may be something to do with the tweakset or if it crashes it means its just the drivers, not much I can then.

Edited by ZeroX_Advanced

Ok, after I test FEAR2 with modded 182.05 and verified it's working ok and no blue screen I will

check the un-modded 182.05 drivers. Also to compare Image quality, which was very crap in the demo WANTED: Fate of Weapons

(vertical stripes, not white but light stripes with odd contrast ratio..) Oh wait!!! Also I couldn't set resolutions to 1400*900 or any other res. and aspect ratio!

-with 182.05 there were no problems in changing resolutions.

I think he wanted you to check with stock 182.46 drivers so he could find out if there's a problem with the drivers or with the tweaks.

Guest ShnikeJSB
First, thanks for your help. i was hoping dox could help but :)

Still tryed again like u said, but when i right clic on the external monitor, the "primary" word is gray...

Any other ideas ? :)

Dox, as we have pretty same config, do you use ur external monitor with dual view mode as a primary?

Did you make sure the second monitor was selected as "Attached"? And in the dropdown menu, can you select the second monitor?

Hi all,

At firs these drivers looked really good. I went from 3600 points in 3dmark 2006 to almost 4000.

Then I tried playing FEAR2 with these drivers, the Image Quality a bit weird if you looked very good.

Almost like the contrast was a bit off.. After having 2 BSOD's and the DEMO WANTED: weapons of fate had very ugly

display errors.. (you could see that the Image Quality was of) I decided to clean install 182.05 on quality.

What a difference in visuals!!! My problems were fixed with the contrast aspects, also a very noticeable difference

in Image Quality. I stay with 182.05 for a while and see if it runs stable..

This somewhat backs up my previous comment about the IQ and more specifically the contrast. I noticed this in a way myself with these drivers.

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply, that's appreciated :-) I'm using Visa 32 Home Edition, on an Acer laptop.

Video card is 9600 GS. Laptop is a 7730G.

Here's a picture of what I'm getting when using Acer's power management utility. Before using your drivers, I could set the speed of the video card to low, medium or high. Now, I don't see this potion anymore (should be under LCD).

ecf2ece8229dded96e5d58db924f0.jpg

Dox, more and more evidence is mounting that there is a problem with these drivers and 32-bit operating systems. Seems to me everyone with a problem with these drivers has XP 32-bit or Vista 32-bit.

Any chance that you will make a Windows XP - 64 - Bit driver?? I switch from vista64 to xp64 and have noticed quite a bit of performance boosts with some tweaks.

Pretty please :)

Woah Dox,

I just had a revelation with your drivers and my laptop. I actually gave up the 182.46 in favor of the 182.05. I then just got curious and installed with "quality" instead of the usual "balance". WOW. This is simply amazing. I thought I had already received all the possible benefits that your drivers can deliver. I am speechless.

Not only does all my games play without the usual minimal stuttering, the images are more sharper. The whole visual experience is pleasing! Performance has just reached another milestone. I'm playing at higher resolutions. This is truly amazing. (this is compared to 182.46 and 182.05 balanced)

For others who believed that quality would hog their resources, I'd recommend to give "quality" a shot on the 182.05

Truly amazing...

I loved "quality" setting :)

I still use it today :)

but its just too much work keeping releasing 3 driver settings all the time.

I can't explain why "quality" would make my performance just go through the roof. I have to admit, it is a wonderful set of tweaks and probably, by far, the best driver set for vista that I've tried. I think with Vistax32 + 182.05 quality, it has given me the best video game performance + visual, even surpassing any drivers I've used with XPx32.

It is a pity it takes too long to tweak though. Perhaps if time permits, you could bring out a set of "quality" style tweaks for drivers that perform well in general, without nvidia issues? :)

That would be amazing :)

Guest Guest
@ guest

download gpu-z (google it)

run it when your laptop is idle (i.e when your just surfing the net) and it should be downclocked.

start a game play for a while and exit the game.

run gpu-z and your clock speed should be on max then after awhile of idling the clocks should go back to downclocked.

Works :)

Woah Dox,

I just had a revelation with your drivers and my laptop. I actually gave up the 182.46 in favor of the 182.05. I then just got curious and installed with "quality" instead of the usual "balance". WOW. This is simply amazing. I thought I had already received all the possible benefits that your drivers can deliver. I am speechless.

Not only does all my games play without the usual minimal stuttering, the images are more sharper. The whole visual experience is pleasing! Performance has just reached another milestone. I'm playing at higher resolutions. This is truly amazing. (this is compared to 182.46 and 182.05 balanced)

For others who believed that quality would hog their resources, I'd recommend to give "quality" a shot on the 182.05

Truly amazing...

Hey frank604

Just wondering, im still running on 182.05 Performance option. I got 8600M GS DDR2 (clocked at 650/1390/455) getting decent frames overall. Just wodnering how much did performance icnrease on your part under the quality option, since we both have simillar lappys ? :)

Btw if u got Crysis running or Crysis Warhead - Test my config out :) http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=23324

Thx in advance ! :P

Edited by ^nox

Well take this into consideration.

Call of Duty - World at war

182.05 Balanced

960 x 600 res

Mid High settings

This is the resolution I'd normally play that wouldn't make me dizzy from the low fps and stutterings

182.05 quality

1440 x 900

Mid High Settings

This is the resolution I play now. I'm actually getting better performance than when I was on balanced and the settings I mentioned above.

I did try 1440 x 900 once with 182.05 balanced, but it was unbearable.

I really recommend giving the 182.05 quality a try out with your current games, takes a few minutes and you can check it out.

Also, in the windows nvidia control panel, I used to set texture filtering quality to high performance, now with 182.05(Dox's Quality set) I set it to high quality. Not sure what this does necessarily, but thought I'd mention anything I've changed from default.

Basically to answer your question. The change is enormous. Higher resolutions being playable just makes the graphics UNIMAGINABLY better.

Edited by frank604

Well take this into consideration.

Call of Duty - World at war

182.05 Balanced

960 x 600 res

Mid High settings

This is the resolution I'd normally play that wouldn't make me dizzy from the low fps and stutterings

182.05 quality

1440 x 900

Mid High Settings

This is the resolution I play now. I'm actually getting better performance than when I was on balanced and the settings I mentioned above.

I did try 1440 x 900 once with 182.05 balanced, but it was unbearable.

I really recommend giving the 182.05 quality a try out with your current games, takes a few minutes and you can check it out.

Also, in the windows nvidia control panel, I used to set texture filtering quality to high performance, now with 182.05(Dox's Quality set) I set it to high quality. Not sure what this does necessarily, but thought I'd mention anything I've changed from default.

Basically to answer your question. The change is enormous. Higher resolutions being playable just makes the graphics UNIMAGINABLY better.

I have never seen a driver yet which causes such an improvment ( from 960*600 to 1440*900) especially with quality options activated unless the replaced driver was totally outdated...So here is my question : are you under drugs ???? ;-) Don't know after all, maybe Dox 182.05 is a miracle driver with some kind of divine powers ;-)

Let me rephrase what you just wrote.

1) You don't believe in what I'm saying.

2) You think I'm on drugs.

3) You are asking me if I'm on drugs to explain my previous post.

Is this what you are trying to say? Well, to take a wild guess, I'm thinking you want me to provide more info?

I can't explain in technical terms what I am experiencing. I just write what I see with my own eyes.

Here are some other facts that may put some clues to the big picture.

1) My card can play other games at 1440 x 900, but unfortunately some games produce massive stuttering with this resolution and drivers that are installed at the time. I then notch down to 1280 x 800 under these circumstances. If 1280 x 800 still produces stutters and jitters, which hurt my eye, I then move to 900 x 600. I don't often try other resolutions as my native res is 1440 x 900, so I try to keep the ratio for widescreen.

In my example stated above, I am using one of the games that I've had difficulties getting to show visually appealing in 1440 x 900, which is COD world at war. I was amazed at how well the same driver set (182.05) could have such a vast impact on my rig depending on which set of tweaks were applied to it. Dox created 3 sets for 182.05. Since I've always used balanced, I've never tried quality. The performance set was too visually ugly for my tastes, even though it improves the FPS.

Anyways, I'm not saying that the improvements were solely based on fps gain. I'm just emphasizing that the quality set reduces the stutterings and slowness of my gameplay, even when I set the resolution to my native.

I'm not sure if I've explained it well enough. But either way, there is nothing for me to defend here, because I'm just sharing my personal experiences on this board. Take it or leave it kind of thing.

Perhaps trying 182.05 balanced and then try 182.05 quality? Give it a shot yourself, even though diff drivers work better with different cards. Who knows, it might be just your thing.

Edited by frank604

Hey DOX! Before I thy these drivers I'd like to know, how can I apply this fix to them, before or after they've been installed?

Thank you