LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros modded Driver for Windows 7, Vista and WinXP

mobilenvidia

Hi.

I installed the 9.2.0.105 v1.31 modded on my Samsung R530 Laptop with Atheros AR9285 just because I never get the n-protocol to work properly. Now, when installed, I see all extra settings in the wireless network card, but still limited to 65,0Mbit/s as stated in the status window. No matter what I do, or how close I am to my Router (Netgear WNDR3700v2 with 2,4GHz 300MBit enabled)i never get max speeds over 45Mbit/s when trying different speed tests. What should I do? I have eliminated (i think) the chanses that it could be energy saving issues as I believe I've maxed up everything.

Are there specific settings for the Network Card that I must change? As I see a lot more settings now I am not sure which ones to change and to what.

Please give me a helping hand, I'm going nuts here. :)

Edit: Running Win7 X64.

Best regards

Stafforden

Quoting my own post as I've actually found something...

The problem seens to be "solved". Grabbing desperate measures I turned my router-wired printer (HP Photosmart 2575 series) off. Then turned my router off and back on after approx. 30 seconds.

And VOILA! From having maximum speeds towards internet around 45Mbit/s (I have 100Mbit maximum) I now achieve speeds up to about 96Mbit/s even when sitting 24-26 feet from my router. Dunno though if I ever dare turning my printer on again... Seems like even attached wired equipment affects speed on wireless devices... Hope this can be of any help to at least some people. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• stanny

• chiefwigms

• furtherforever

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was wondering if the new v_9.2.0.310 driver will be modded and posted here as well... I didn't find out about this community (and the modded drivers) until just a couple months ago, but I could notice a pretty substantial difference in my wireless speeds and stability once I installed the modded driver (at the very least, I went from a download bandwidth cap of 2.25 MB/s up to 3 MB/s).

Can't wait to download the newest v_9.2.0.310 driver once it's modded!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest blue

I can't seems to istall TP-LINK WN821N on windows 7 without running the original driver. How to enable wireless N? Im still running wireless G. Can anyone guide me for modded driver TP-LINK wn821n ar9002u?

Guest cata

Just tested all modded drivers poster here on my dwa-547(Atheros AR 9223) card, and LED function is not working at all, I gues this is not a major problem, or is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I Thank you very much for your effort of making the modded drivers, fixed my problem on windows 7 with DWA-547 by disabling the "background scan" setting and by setting the "roaming policy" to "very low" :)

I think all modded drivers work, but people should disable the automatic driver install feature on their windows to be able to install the modified drivers.

Edited by LycoSs

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roberto

Hi,

I´ve just bought an Asus N53SV-XE1, which comes with an Atheros 9285. I´m using Windows 7 x64 and my router is a Linksys WRT54G2 (with dd-wrt firmware). It connects, but after a few minutes of intense downloads, the data rate drops to 2 Mbps and the only way to restore it to normal is disconnecting and reconnecting to the router. Other notebooks with Intel wi-fi are working perfectly. Also, I tested with Ubuntu Linux and there is no data rate drop, so I believe that´s related to the Windows driver. Original driver version was 9.0.0.222 (available at Asus website) and I tried with several drivers from the first page of this thread with no success. Do you have any tips for helping me solve this annoying problem? The downloads (various files) start at 600 KB/s and drops to ~200KB/s, until I reconnect to the router.

Obs: router is 10 ft away from notebook, signal level is maximum (five bars)

Thanks in advance!

I'm having the exact same problem as Guest_Roberto_* describes. But with a D-link Dwa-556 (atheros 5008) on windows 7 32bit

Tried almost all drivers from this site and also used the official from d-link.

Also replaced the antennas with 9dBi versions, did not solve the problem. Reception is now excellent of course.

But just as Roberto describes, after heavy downloading connection speed degrades to (on my side) 100KB/s

Time frame when it occurs differs, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a few hours. Disconnect/reconnect or reboot solves the problem.

Access-point is just 8 meters away.

Drives me nuts also!

Any ideas?

Guest Chuck

Please mod driver version 9.2.0.310. I just purchased a TP-Link USB N adapter just for these drivers. I have TP-Link mini-PCI adapters with these drivers, and I love them. I'm ditching my Ralink chipset and I hope I can do it with the latest modded drivers. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Azazel

Hello, i have a problem. Yesterday at night iam restarted pc ... today iam found in Event Viewer error:

WLAN Extensibility Module has failed to start.

Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\athihvs.dll

Error Code: 126

Event id: 10000

Like i found in internet athihvs.dll its atheros, but funniest thing, what i never had it there(i know that, coz i have full system backup and was searching there for this dll).

Well how come ... how its can be possible, i didn't made any updates, nothing ... just restarted pc and had this error, what made other one also

WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

event id:4001

i found dll like that in internet, but not sure if i need to use it. Any opinions ?

Guest Azazel

ah right, sorry forgot to say i have windows 7 x64 sp1.

And about atheros hard to say, even aida64 called its after modded drivers:

Atheros AR9280/AR9281/AR9283/AR5009/AR5B91/AR5BH92/AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter

in real i forgot the model.

Guest yalcin19

Atheros 9.2.0.419 out for Win7 x64 bit.

Mobilenvdia please mod this

www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm

Below are the modded Atheros drivers to enable all known settings.

The modded drivers contain the NMI/Parity error fix mentioned below.

After weeks of testing, tweaking and reinstalling Windows, I've found the culprit to the NMI:Parity error for Atheros cards on some systems (well at least the i9400 anyway)

Below is the latest driver with a modded INF that includes the fix and has everything enabled.

DO NOT adjust pcieaspm setting to either 1 or 3 !! this could possibly cause the error to happen again (not the actual fix but part of it)

Just extract the driver somewhere and use the update driver method to install.

If s previous driver is installed remove this and if it auto detects an older one then remove this as well, do this until it no longer installs a driver.

Reboot after the uninstall then point the new 'hardware found' to the directory where the modded driver is.

Once installed reboot again.

v9.2.0.105 with modded INF v1.31 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

Should work for ALL Atheros Chipset versions

v9.1.0.314 with modded INF v1.30 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v9.1.0.100 with modded INF v1.30 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.316 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v9.0.0.125 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.279 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v7.7.0.449 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.225 with modded INF v1.29 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.219 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v7.7.0.384 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v8.0.0.171 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v2.0.0.73 with modded INF v1.28 for both vista and Windows 7 x64 only

v8.0.0.144 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v7.7.0.319 with modded INF v1.28 for both Vista/Win7 x86 and x64

v2.0.0.72 with modded INF v1.28 for both vista and Windows 7

v7.7.0.259 with modded INF v1.26 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.7.0.233 with modded INF v1.24 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.7.0.231 with modded INF v1.24 for both Vista x86 and x64

v2.0.0.70 with modded INF v1.26 for both vista and Windows 7

v7.6.1.221 with modded INF v1.26 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.204 with modded INF v1.26 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.184 with modded INF v1.24 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.204 with modded INF v1.23 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.184 with modded INF v1.23 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.162 with modded INF v1.20 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.170 with modded INF v1.21 for both WinXP x86 and x64

v7.6.1.122 with modded INF v1.20 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.1.122 with modded INF v1.19 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.0.172 with modded INF v1.19 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.6.0.83 with modded INF v1.17 for both Vista x86 and x64

v7.3.1.109 with modded INF v1.15 for both Vista x86 and x64

Feedback is encouraged, would be nice to know it fixes the problem for other

INF version changes

v1.11

original release based on other modded INF

v1.12

added support for all Atheros Chipsets

Changed the mode options to just 11a, 11bg or auto, setting should allow for legacy devices and 11n in 40 and 20Mhz modes

Added manual transmit speeds for 11a, 11g and 11b only needed for legacy routers if ever at all.

Now supports full 3x3 aerial mode

Set Receive buffers to max

Fixed LED's for Gigabyte, hopefully this doesn't break it for other devices, should have a slow blink not connected and a solid LED for connected.

Added Sleep mode

Fixed Transmit power

v1.13

Removed all legacy commands from INF, these were causing slow surfing

Leaving essential tweaks still adjustable in device properties.

Set powersave feature to off and also turned off pcieaspm (these can be turned on, but pcieaspm to on.on gives me parity error)

v1.14

Removed the Netband settings couldn't get this to work 100%, driver will automatically choose fastest link speed, but can no longer force a slower one

v1.15

Added 'Force Wake' enable to stop the WLAN card from going into lower power state mode, this makes a big difference to performance

Also fixes the slowness this driver had with the Gigabyte WI06N WLAN card.

Changed the LED to slow flash at no connection, solid during connection, once connected the flashing will speed up with rate of data send/received

remove these 2 lines from INF if this is not what you want and you prefer v1.13 version:

HKR, ,softLEDEnable,0x00002,  "1"
HKR, ,swapDefaultLED,0x00002,  "1"

v1.16

Minor LED fix

v1.17

Added support for the 928x Chipset

v1.18

Reworked the INF completely, added support for the 922X/928X chipsets.

v1.19

Fixed 92XX install bug :)

v1.20

Added lots more tweakble features in the Device Properties to play with.

Set Receive buffers to 256

v1.21

Fixed Win XP lack of 'Advanced Properties'

v1.22

Pre 11n cards no longer can change the speed settings (most were 11n anyway)

v1.23

Changed name for AR928x to include AR5009 (half height version) and AR5BH92

v1.24

Added Adhoc channel select to the INF, thanks to ElectriX

Fixed driver install issue

v1.25

Added, dynamic MIMO power save and Adhoc 11n settings to control panel.

v1.26

Added support for the new AR chipsets and also a couple of missing older ones.

v1.27

Modded 2.0.0.72 to enable Windows 7 Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

v1.28

Fixed 32bit OS error with v1.27

v1.29

Added 'Atheros IHV Service' support

v1.30

Added support for new AR938x Chipset (BT also on card)

v1.31

Added support for Green TX, and AR9485 chipset with Blutooth

Guest MbMax

Today I tried the new modded drivers for WIN7 32bit on my Asrock ION330HT with AtherosAR9285 (802.11n wireless). With the old driver but also with the new modded driver, ther's no way to have a stable connection at 270Mb/sec (my router is a Netgear DGN2000). Atheros card connects for a while, then the connection is lost and there is no way to re-establish it. Even after restarting PC or the router. The maximum speed allowed by the old driver was 130MB/s while the modded go at 65MB / s, but the real speed in both cases is the same and it's not more than 30-35Mb / s. :cry1:

Guest Christian

I have an Atheros Wifi PCI card attached to an Zotac IONITX-D-E. Windows 7 32 bit identifies it as an AR928X device.

802.11b and 802.11g work perfectly. I recently had to upgrade my router (previously a b/g only Linksys WRT54G) so I bought an Asus RT-N56U with dual band 802.11n as well. I'd like to get 802.11n running for a bit of extra speed. I'm running WPA2 + AES encryption.

The card connects and DHCPs an IP from the DHCP server. Initially I can see some NETBIOS broadcast packets from the assigned IP. The card seems to respond ok to ARP requests for its IP. However I cannot ping and cannot make any other sort of connection.

I have ruled out any firewall issues. It's turned off. Even then it will work fine if I just just change the router side to b/g only with no changes on the client side.. As soon as I set it to n only or n/b/g the Atheros card stops working. Windows reports either 150 or 300 Mbps connections. Multiple other devices are working OK with 802.11n.

I've tried 20, 40 and 20/40 MHz bandwidth options. Different channels etc.

I have used the modified drivers from this thread with no success other than when I force the modified driver to use b or g. I've tried multple other driver versons I've found (9.0.0 through 9.2.0)

Turning off encryption makes significant difference (although I understand 802.11n essentially enforces WPA2 + AES)

I found a few references to 802.11n not working (whilst b/g is working) with this card but haven't found anyone with a solution.

Any ideas?

ther's no way to have a stable connection at 270Mb/sec (my router is a Netgear DGN2000). Atheros card connects for a while, then the connection is lost and there is no way to re-establish it.

I solved the problem in a strange way. I changed the WPA2 password to one typed with caps-lock active, and now the connection at the higher speed is stable. I've read this solution searching with Google.

Hi,

I´ve just bought an Asus N53SV-XE1, which comes with an Atheros 9285. I´m using Windows 7 x64 and my router is a Linksys WRT54G2 (with dd-wrt firmware). It connects, but after a few minutes of intense downloads, the data rate drops to 2 Mbps and the only way to restore it to normal is disconnecting and reconnecting to the router. Other notebooks with Intel wi-fi are working perfectly. Also, I tested with Ubuntu Linux and there is no data rate drop, so I believe that´s related to the Windows driver. Original driver version was 9.0.0.222 (available at Asus website) and I tried with several drivers from the first page of this thread with no success. Do you have any tips for helping me solve this annoying problem? The downloads (various files) start at 600 KB/s and drops to ~200KB/s, until I reconnect to the router.

Obs: router is 10 ft away from notebook, signal level is maximum (five bars)

Thanks in advance!

I have this driver as well (for Atheros AR5B97 in an Asus 1830T) and frequent loss of connectivity. The adapter roams, apparently due to loss of signal, and a few seconds later the adapter switches off. Would a 'modded' version of 9.0.0.202 help?

Oops, now I see it's a slightly different version of the driver. But can it be modded? Thanks in advance.

I have this driver as well (for Atheros AR5B97 in an Asus 1830T) and frequent loss of connectivity. The adapter roams, apparently due to loss of signal, and a few seconds later the adapter switches off. Would a 'modded' version of 9.0.0.202 help?

Oops, now I see it's a slightly different version of the driver. But can it be modded? Thanks in advance.

A lot of people have had issues with the AR928* series. I did when I bought my first one, but now I no longer have any issues in Win7x64, Ubuntu 11.04 x64, or MacOS Lion 10.7.

That's why I bought the card: so that I would have good half-height 2Tx2R performance in all 3 OSes.

There is an Intel card that has 3Tx3R, but it will not work in MacOS. Also, I have enough Intel components in my laptop as it is. The BCM4322 or BCM432b (half-height) is also a good option for AirDrop and good compatibility in all 3 OSes, but on Linux the driver is far more proprietary and this card doesn't allow for packet injection. (Not that I usually care; I'm not a hacker.) The BCM requires power-management to be disabled for a stable connection for me on Ubuntu, so that was a negative.

Up until now, I tended to force install the latest non-modded driver, picking the model in the "Have disk..." window that I thought was closest to my model. I just noticed today that when I choose AR9285 as my model, my WIFI LED indicator functions; when I choose the model that i actually have: AR928X, the indicator does not function. i will try the modded drivers tonight when I have some time. Access Connections (Lenovo WIFI utility) works just fine with any of the drivers, at least as long as Windows is managing your connection. I will test their profiles feature at some point, but I generally don't like using that stuff.

If you absolutely can't get good performance with an AR928*, try the AR9382 available at OxfordTec. MacOS doesn't find any networks with it, but I imagine they'll fix that in a future update since the AR9380 full-height 3Tx3R card comes standard in Mac Pros. It just doesn't fit in my Lenovo ThinkPad W520!

Best of luck to all. If nothing else, try these modded drivers for a possible fix to the DMI issue, and a possible fix to WLAN indicators if yours isn't working.

Best,

Barrett

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bladlus

Hi. When I try to install the drivers on my Win7 x64, i get this error message: "The system cannot find the file specified". Now, I get the same issue with the official D-Link Win7 drivers, BUT not with the Vista/2KXP drivers. Maybe it's some path-issue within the Win7 .inf file?

Would appreciate some help :)