LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9600M GT Overclocking :O

eXceed

Cphil19

You want safety - dont touch overclock.

Really? Even a minor overclock? I'm sure if everyone else can tweak their settings astronomically, I could just do a minor tweak and be okay....

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leshcat

• DextoR

• hasham

• Laptop2Rocket

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cphil19

Listen,in general,overclocking can give you maximum 30% of win . Minor one as you want will give 5-15%. Is it worth it? you ll torture system basically for small advantage that you ll not feel. Overclocking is done to gain maximum profit,to put hardware on the edge and gain your fird part of speed for free.

Cphil19

Listen,in general,overclocking can give you maximum 30% of win . Minor one as you want will give 5-15%. Is it worth it? you ll torture system basically for small advantage that you ll not feel. Overclocking is done to gain maximum profit,to put hardware on the edge and gain your fird part of speed for free.

I'd like to overclock it just a bit, to the point where I can just maybe step up the resolution on games just one level or so. You're saying even a minor tweak is very risky?

Can anyone help me please? Since I installed Nvidia new driver 186.03 rivatuner 2.4 didn't detect it and so my vga is not overclocked anymore. But now my clocks are stuck at 400 core/800 shader/400 memory and I can't make it go back to normal. When it's in a normal state it goes down to below 200 MHz and to a max of 500 core/ 1250 shader/ and 400 memory. I also downloaded nvidia system tools and i overclocked it but when i check with gpuz it says its 400/400. I only want it now to return to normal and my laptop automatically adjusts the clocks setting. Thanks

@Cphil19

Since you have an HP Laptop, I assume that your 9600M GT has DDR2 memory. Your default clocks should therefore be 500 (Core), 400 (Memory), 1250 (Shader).

My Compal JHL90 has the same card and it can be "safely" overclocked to 630 / 504 / 1575 (keeping the original ratio between the various clocks). This increases my 3D06 result to 5680 points (from about 4620 points with the default clocks). Another increase to 640 / 512 / 1600 is also possible (3D06: 5750), but some stability issues can occur with certain games.

My "recommendation" for you would be a setting of 600 / 480 / 1500. This should be enough for a performance increase of 15-20%, which can really make a difference playing games, without placing too much of a burden on your machine. It goes without saying that this is only a suggestion (no guarantee on my part ;-) and you should start with even lower clocks (e.g. 580 / 464 / 1450) to find out how your Laptop reacts to the changed settings.

Some more advice:

- this thread contains various posts by people with HP Laptops and their oc experiences

- use the latest drivers (Nvidia: 186.03), as they usually give your better results (in my experience)

@Cphil19

Since you have an HP Laptop, I assume that your 9600M GT has DDR2 memory. Your default clocks should therefore be 500 (Core), 400 (Memory), 1250 (Shader).

My Compal JHL90 has the same card and it can be "safely" overclocked to 630 / 504 / 1575 (keeping the original ratio between the various clocks). This increases my 3D06 result to 5680 points (from about 4620 points with the default clocks). Another increase to 640 / 512 / 1600 is also possible (3D06: 5750), but some stability issues can occur with certain games.

My "recommendation" for you would be a setting of 600 / 480 / 1500. This should be enough for a performance increase of 15-20%, which can really make a difference playing games, without placing too much of a burden on your machine. It goes without saying that this is only a suggestion (no guarantee on my part ;-) and you should start with even lower clocks (e.g. 580 / 464 / 1450) to find out how your Laptop reacts to the changed settings.

Some more advice:

- this thread contains various posts by people with HP Laptops and their oc experiences

- use the latest drivers (Nvidia: 186.03), as they usually give your better results (in my experience)

I really appreciate your response. First off, when I downloaded the 186.03 driver, I got the "No supported drivers detected for this display adapter". Because of that, I had to manually go into "power user" and then into "ForceDriverVersion" and type "18603". Even though it still says "not supported", at least now I have a customize button. So, I went into the clock settings and into the "performance 3d tab" but for some reason my defaults are listed at 400/800/400. Is something wrong? Why do I have such low clocks?

Probably RivaTuner can't deal with the card when on driver emulation mode; with 9.x cards the shader default should be 2.5x core speed. We all are waiting for RT upgrade, it might be coming this month - or next - or...

Probably RivaTuner can't deal with the card when on driver emulation mode; with 9.x cards the shader default should be 2.5x core speed. We all are waiting for RT upgrade, it might be coming this month - or next - or...

Oh okay. I don't mind waiting a bit for the new version. I'm already unbelievably ecstatic, as 186.03 drivers enable me FOR THE FIRST TIME not to have to disable a CPU Core in "Processor Affinity." Usually I have some weird random framerate lags constantly in games and the only solution was to disable a cpu core in affinity. Now, it runs fine! (So far....fingers crossed)

Anyway, if I may ask, how was everyone else with the latest drivers able to use Rivatuner to change clock speeds? Wouldn't they have the same problem as me?

Guest CircuitFreak

I just figure I'd post some results with Ntune. It seems way more stable and it let me take my clocks out way farther than Rivetuner and EVGA Precision in my opinion. I was able to clock my 9600m Gt (DDR2) out to 740/1850/604.

3dmarkscore.jpg

Seems pretty good for some of the scores I've seen compared to the DDR3 version. 186.03 Forceware and Nvidia System tools 6.05

CircuitFreak

Whats your notebook?

Dv5? Are you using any coolingpads?

I ll try it for me(the clocks).

Edited by leshcat

@CircuitFreak

I, too, prefer Ntune (or Nvidia System Tools, as it is now called), as it provides pretty much all that I need for overclocking.

Anyway, your results are waaayyy beyond reach for me. Congrats!

Guest CircuitFreak

Dv7-1275DX It's got the crappy 1440x900 screen, my 3DMark drops to like 5780 ish if I hook my 22" up through the HDMI port. All I have for cooling is this Antec dual cooling fans setup ( It really just props the back up and blows cold air underneath ) that plugs into my USB port. It drops temps by at least 6 deg C through.

hi guys,i have been using f.05 bios for overclocking 9600m gt in hp dv5t since from start.f.05 bios did give me some other problems so i decided to upgrade to a newer bios version.now the problems is whichever bios i use including f.14 and f.16,i cant oc anymore both with rivatuner and nvidia system tools.if i downgrade bios to f.05,i can oc.but many hp dv5 users have been able to oc with newer bios versions,so what is problem with mine.

also is it dangerous to install differnent bios more often?

thanks.

Ntune causes system lockup and forces me to reboot the computer every time, so I can't use that. As for Rivatuner, no matter what graphics driver I'm using, the default clocks are ALWAYS 400/800/400 when I know for a fact the default clocks should be 500/1250/800.

Whats going on?

God DAMN, Cphil19 is it so really hard to search all the anwsers the entire theme? ALL you need is alredy in topic,jsut investigate a little.

I get 5990 points with 3DMark06 with 650.1600.570 with 186.03, anything more thn those clocks and I get artifacts. Temp reach 88-91C with Zalman NC2000.

How can i actually overclock my Macbook Pro ??

The 9600m seems to have a rather unique bios which cant be overclocked :P

What would happen if i simply exchange it with another one from the DV5 for example ?

I know that overclocking a macbook is crazy, so all i would do is, to raise the gpu core clock from standard 500 to lets say 550 :)

Did anybody make experiences with overclocking Macbooks already ?

I have the newest one from June by the way :)

I don't know about overclocking a Mac. Definitely DON'T flash the BIOS, that's a good way to mess things up. OSX don't install on any ol hardware, the firmware for almost all the hardware is special.

Hello.

Is it possible to control fan speeds on my DV5-1095EO with 9600M GT 512MB DDR2?

Tried with RivaTuner, but it doesn't show fan tab. Also tried enabling "AllowBinaryFanSpeedControl" from RivaTuner power user, but it didn't help.

I'm running on Vista x86 and I have latest bios F.16

Overall I have tried these apps :

RivaTuner

EVGA Precision

ATI Tool

Would have tried nTune, but install freezes whole computer.

If I forgot some information, please ask.

Thanks.

Edited by Wesku

Is it possible to control fan speeds on my DV5-1095EO with 9600M GT 512MB DDR2?

No. No way to control it.

• 2 weeks later...

In rivatuner there is an option under power user that disables the maximum limit on the core clock and shader so i can go over 600 and 1200... could anyone tell me please... thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All!

I use the laptop Samsung R560-BS02

P8400

9600GS 256 mb GDDR 3

Here my result:

Gpu 675 mhz (default 430 mhz)57% overclocking

Memory 1000 mhz (default 800 mhz) 25% overclocking

Shader 1675 mhz (default 1075 mhz)56% overclocking

i use Win Vista Ultimate 32 bit

my result 3Dmark 2006 7292

lDOpbV2DW0.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi All!

I use the laptop Samsung R560-BS02

P8400

9600GS 256 mb GDDR 3

Here my result:

Gpu 675 mhz (default 430 mhz)57% overclocking

Memory 1000 mhz (default 800 mhz) 25% overclocking

Shader 1675 mhz (default 1075 mhz)56% overclocking

i use Win Vista Ultimate 32 bit

my result 3Dmark 2006 7292

lDOpbV2DW0.jpg

Try to Disable the Powermizer.

In GPU-Z it says "Bus Interface = PCIE2 16x@1"

That will slow many things down !

gr33tz

• 2 weeks later...

I scored standard 500/800/1250 3dmark 5360 with 9600m gt and 4gig ram (32 bit) T9600 duo 2,8 1066 bus

Than I clocked it to a 9700m gt 600/800/1550 and scored 3dmark 6165...

It doens't look much but I can feel the change for playing Borderlands and world @ we cod 2...

maybe i can speed it up a little because the temp is almost the same 63 degrees on stress test.

I have a BTO Xbook extreme (build to order)

greets

Dunki3