LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9600M GT Overclocking :O

eXceed

mmm.. yesterday i have faced a weird event.. i was playing with NFS and my GPU, as far as i know, was not overclocked. my lappy started getting warmer and warmer, and when i got out of the game to check temperatures i discovered that the GPU was 100° hot :|

what the hell??

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leshcat

• DextoR

• hasham

• Laptop2Rocket

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a dv7t,with the information that i read here i can overclock my 9600m gt ddr2 although my results are diferent and strange!

i can´t go up 500 mhz on OC memory, i can reach only 660 mhz on Core and shaders 1340 mhz.

I've read that almost everyone can rise to 550 mhz on memory on dv5t, it´s not a question of temperature because the highest that i've got is 72ºC, but if a put 501mhz in memory i've got artifacts, and driver lost on 3dmark06.

My question is....this happends because my vbios is diferent that your's? because it´s a 17'' laptop and it eats more resources? because my bios is limiting my OC to 500 is memory?

Leshcat you said i could post my results even though its a dv5t post, so i am asking your opinion.

With 660 (core)-1350 (shader)-500(memory) i've got only 5340 3dmark06

but stable and with temp only reaching 72ºC

Searching for a answer comparing with your result....My drivers are 180.84 32 bits vista

My DV5 has the same issue. I can't go above 486 on the memory. I'm wondering if it's because I've undervolted from 1.250 v to 1.050 volts... perhaps if I give it a little more power, I could OC the memory more? Interesting idea, anyway...

post-33666-1229162857_thumb.gif

I just got my MSI GX630. It has a 9600m GT. 500/800/1250, GPU/MEM/SHADER. In the BIOS, it's locked to AUTO. I tried to use RivaTuner, but settings revert to stock. Tried nTune, but I get black screened when I launch the program, and the computer resets itself. Tried EVGA Precision, but it does nothing. My BIOS is American Megatrends 1.24.1115. Ideas are greatly appreciated. Also, I did do some benchmarks with 3DMark06:

Stock: 5387

w/ CPU Turbo button pressed: 5581

Edited by muthaflaco

mmm.. yesterday i have faced a weird event.. i was playing with NFS and my GPU, as far as i know, was not overclocked. my lappy started getting warmer and warmer, and when i got out of the game to check temperatures i discovered that the GPU was 100° hot :|

what the hell??

eventually cooling side get dirty and dirt blocks air circulation. Here you have + overclocking + no additional cooling + bad table material +....+n+1.

Edited by leshcat

sounds like a destructive progression :)

well, i'll try again and i'll post results..

sounds like a destructive progression :P

well, i'll try again and i'll post results..

try again what? :) burnin your notebook? :)

Edited by leshcat

nope :)

i'll try to play NFS on that particular desk with that temperatures, and i'll see if it was just a "walk-away" issue (dunno how to say that in english, that's too bad.. in italian we say "effetto transitorio") or if my lappy needs to be checked-up :)

post-33666-1229255831_thumb.jpg

Well, I figured out how to flash the bios to my 9600m GT. Put the clocks to 625/800/1550. GPU/MEM/SHADER. It was scary to pull the trigger on that one, LOL.

It worked out great. I went from 5581 in 3DMark06, to 6229 after.

Off topic, probably....

I have downclocking problem with all 180.xx driver. When playing games, ussually when loading the game or pausing the game, the core/mem/shader speed goes down. After finish loading game or un-pausing the game, the core/mem/shader speed should go back to extra speed. It worked only for core and shader in my case. My memory speed is locked in 2D mode (it was OK when I first launched the game).

The thing is, only reading from riva tuner shows this. GPU-Z tells me that my memory clock goes back to extra speed.

But the frame rate (fraps) is lower. I've tried all 180.xx drivers including DOX's.

Somebody have the same problem? or does anyone can help me?

Off topic, probably....

I have downclocking problem with all 180.xx driver. When playing games, ussually when loading the game or pausing the game, the core/mem/shader speed goes down. After finish loading game or un-pausing the game, the core/mem/shader speed should go back to extra speed. It worked only for core and shader in my case. My memory speed is locked in 2D mode (it was OK when I first launched the game).

The thing is, only reading from riva tuner shows this. GPU-Z tells me that my memory clock goes back to extra speed.

But the frame rate (fraps) is lower. I've tried all 180.xx drivers including DOX's.

Somebody have the same problem? or does anyone can help me?

Have you tried to force "Performance 3D" in Riva Tuner? The manual to it lies couple of pages ago.

What are you guys getting for MEM clocks max on DDR3? I want to do it in slow 5mhz increments, but I'd have to keep flashing my bios to do it...LOL.

well i read the whole article and didn't get any useful information, well i've got prob with rivatuner(it seems it's rivatuner problem;) ) i dont want to force the profile, cuz i want to have lowered clocks in 2D to have lappy purely quiet :) , well every time i'm in game it forces stock speeds, in 2D it's fine but sometimes it goes to 3Dlow even if i dont want him to do so :) . after forcing overclocking level i need to restart computer, anyone knows is it possible to force 3D performance and do schedule to change 3D performance clocks from "overclocked" to "very low underclocked" without restarting my lappy? it's pretty annoying when i need to restart my computer every time im in game and in windows (:

there is a way to solve this issue in fact.

you just have to make rivatuner set startup frequences to underclocked ones (eg. 169/338/100 to ALL PROFILES (2d apps, low power 3d and 3d perf)) and then force 3D perf mode.

this way, your lappy starts up with 169/338/100 frequences, whatever application you may run. if you want to switch to OC frequences, just open riva and set them :)

well i managed it by myself already, just thought i had to restart system all the time(perhaps i had this issue lately, sadly i have short memory (: ) it's almost like u said :P

you need to do 2 OC profiles and name it like 2D and 3D, and oparate on overclocking only the 3Dperformance profile :P ; then making two separate profiles and name it also 2D and 3D in Launcher tab and associate it with your OC profiles, then go to Scheduler tab and set it as in here -> http://bildr.no/view/305910 those 2D profile need to be downward direction and 3D upward and thats all :rofl:

need to have enabled hardware acceleration plugin also

i didn't figured out how to make it to work in all video modes - i've got Hardware Acceleration \ D3D9 (cuz WoW is in dx9, at least it counts like dx9 on my lappy (: ); because the pure Hardware Acceleration mode is always 0.5 even if i open WoW (D3D9 in this case in windows is 0 and when i play WoW 1 so it works like a charm)

hope that will help some of you struggling with this prob, like me for some time :)

now i love my dv7 entirely :) cuz i've got cool lappy and fans are ultra quiet when i don't play since the low temp from GPU :thumbsup: (sadly all(?) components works on same cooling and when GPU heats it heats also CPU and other nearly components and the main temp sensor)

i'got stable clocks at 607 Core, 482 Memory (GDDR2)

Hey Servac7 / DV7 Owners,

How did you manage to overclock your 9600gt? I tried the oldest bios on the HP support page, but on rivatune the overclock speeds keep going back to default speeds.

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

you need to force performance 3D level in rivatuner settings and only overclock 3Dperformance, you can do profiles to autoswitch 3D/2D as i posted above

Hey Servac7 / DV7 Owners,

How did you manage to overclock your 9600gt? I tried the oldest bios on the HP support page, but on rivatune the overclock speeds keep going back to default speeds.

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

first of all I disable powermizer, then I use ntune and choose the wanted clocks and... that's all! i didn't flashed the bios, the only thing i modified was the inf

Good news everyone... NVIDIA is now providing Notebook drivers from its website that supports GeForce 8M and 9M series with few exceptions... Although they are still in Beta verision... but they said early 2009 they will provide WHQL certified versions...

Article: http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1229602132882.html

Drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

So people, how is the overclocking going, anymore new results, 3dmark06 points and clocks?? keep posting

So people, how is the overclocking going, anymore new results, 3dmark06 points and clocks?? keep posting

so,as i ve said, 625/1550/530 thats the best i can do without additional cooling - how many 3d06 marks is it - i have no idea :)

I have mine at 605/1575/875. I had the shaders was higher, but ever time I raised them I lost marks in 3dmark. So, 1575 was optimum. As far as the core, I can go to 640, but it's smoothest/coolest at ~600. The mem pooped out at 905, so I backed it up to 875 to be safe. It runs REALLY good. Temps ~80c while gaming. Changed max temp in bios to 92c, Nvidia had it set to 105c.

Stock 3DMark06 - 5387

OC'd 3DMark06 - 6369