LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Andrew's Customized INF for Acer Aspire 5520-5912 (32 bit only)

Andrew55

I'm currently editing it, will have it back soon. Thanks.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew55

• SpitFir3

• axelspike

• kodb

No problem, your work is much appreciated. Good things take time. Thanks :)

Actually, I'm almost done, so expect it back within an hour, please try it when i re-upload it. Thanks a lot!

Re-uploaded, problem possibly fixed.

Alright, downloading now. I'll keep you posted if it works fine or not. Thanks

Hey Andrew I tested the inf and there's problems.

I'm using xp 32 bit sp3. And I'm getting the "no changes were made" if I use have disk mode or the original installer.

First I deleted the original inf and pasted and renamed yours. Then I uninstalled the factory driver and rebooted the first time into windows normally and the second time i rebooted in safe mode and used drive sweeper to get rid of the remains. Then I rebooted into windows normally again and ran the orig installer and it said no changes were made. Then i tried the have disk (update driver) and i said there was a problem installing.

Hope this info helps. Will install my old drivers meanwhile. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

Okay, thanks, back to the drawing board it seems.

Okay, thanks, back to the drawing board it seems.

I dont know if this helps, but I was able to install the 177.92 drivers with the modified inf provided in the link you gave me in the pm. Hope this helps. Thanks alot and hope you finish soon.

Edited by axelspike

Yes, but the original modded inf is not a tailored for this laptop plus they contain many unnecessary lines for our computer (like physx, sli and things that we can't use because it needs to support a wide range of computers.) This modded inf should also give faster boot up times. Will have it back soon.

Okay, searched through all possible faults and came up with one of two solutions. If this doesn't work then the other surely will. So they are back up again and hopefully, this time I've got it right. Thanks again!

Andrew,

sorry for the delay in reply. I'm using 32 bit os only. The jerky playback is not application dependent whatsoever and occurs with whichever I use. I am noting rather hot gpu temps when monitoring with gpu-z with peak temps 104C which may well be the problem. I do not seem to be able to modify this with changing settings in the nvidia control application. i backleveled to 156.87 from 12/2007 which runs but still poorly.

Thanks for all of your efforts. I will try your latest inf and see if it works. More than happy to test anything you come up with!

Regards,

Bob

ok, just tried the latest version and still have the "no change to system" error when using the setup program. Will await the next iteration and give that a go.

Bob

The foremost problem is what is causing all of your problems, heat. 104C will most definitely give those problems. I recommend you either clean out your fans and if that doesn't work send it back in if you still can! With the inf, I know what to do to get it working now, thank you!

Hi

I have problem with driver instalation. I was download 177.92 driver and i change file nv_disp.inf for a new vista 32 inf(and rename). When i run setup and driver was start instalation i wait about 10 sec. and i see:

The system hast not modified. To install this program at a leter time, run the installation again.

I tray it with 175.16 driver and nothing.

Please help

Edited by Luk333

I'm currently re-doing all the inf's so they are out of service right now. But they should be back fully functional soon.

I'm currently re-doing all the inf's so they are out of service right now. But they should be back fully functional soon.

Ok, will wait for the newest version. I'm going to dissassemble the back cover and try to clean out the fans. any other advice?

Thanks,

Bob

Hello everybody

I stumbled across this thread while searching for info display issues with my 5520 (vista), any response is appreciated. Back to the beginning, first problem occurred while trying to play a Masque Publishing Slots game that previously worked on my HP desktop running winXP. I contacted Masque support and after sending a copy of my DXdiag file thay informed my that I did not have the lastest driver for my video card. Fine, I searched the net and d-loaded the latest that I could find(7.15.0011.6749 (English), 12/5/2007) this worked fine for about 2 months. I started experiencing on-line video streaming issues (skipping, freezing with horizontal rasters across the screen and complete shutdown of browser) At the time I didn't think the on-board video card was a problem, until 9-30-8 I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I started in safe mode, then discovered that winblows reports that the problem is with the video driver. I disable the driver relaunch in regular vista mode with no problems. I then re-downloaded that latest driver that I had in it at the time of the blue death. I contacted Acer to report the problem, in there infinite wisdom they suggested to me to restore all original factory settings (a complete system restore how absurd I thought- the problem is with the video card and/or driver? Acer pointed fingers at nVidia and said contact them for support, nVidia said they DON'T support OEM pc manufacturers configurations and that the pc mfg is responsible, Isn't this just great. ) So, I just left the system alone and left the latest video driver in. Then earlier this month I had the same issue with the blue screen, I repeated the steps I did before and so far I'm working, but I don't have much faith. A couple (maybe alot) of questions: Any advice? What is this modded inf driver on this forum and what can it do for my situation? I'm not interested in modding (speeding up) my video card, I just want video to work without crashing the system. Should I purchase an extended warranty on this laptop and have faith in the goons at Acer, will stand behind their product because so far it doesn't appear that's the case. Thanks for any insight into this issue. Keep up the good work and sharing information like this, it is very helpful.

Hello everybody

I stumbled across this thread while searching for info display issues with my 5520 (vista), any response is appreciated. Back to the beginning, first problem occurred while trying to play a Masque Publishing Slots game that previously worked on my HP desktop running winXP. I contacted Masque support and after sending a copy of my DXdiag file thay informed my that I did not have the lastest driver for my video card. Fine, I searched the net and d-loaded the latest that I could find(7.15.0011.6749 (English), 12/5/2007) this worked fine for about 2 months. I started experiencing on-line video streaming issues (skipping, freezing with horizontal rasters across the screen and complete shutdown of browser) At the time I didn't think the on-board video card was a problem, until 9-30-8 I got the dreaded blue screen of death. I started in safe mode, then discovered that winblows reports that the problem is with the video driver. I disable the driver relaunch in regular vista mode with no problems. I then re-downloaded that latest driver that I had in it at the time of the blue death. I contacted Acer to report the problem, in there infinite wisdom they suggested to me to restore all original factory settings (a complete system restore how absurd I thought- the problem is with the video card and/or driver? Acer pointed fingers at nVidia and said contact them for support, nVidia said they DON'T support OEM pc manufacturers configurations and that the pc mfg is responsible, Isn't this just great. ) So, I just left the system alone and left the latest video driver in. Then earlier this month I had the same issue with the blue screen, I repeated the steps I did before and so far I'm working, but I don't have much faith. A couple (maybe alot) of questions: Any advice? What is this modded inf driver on this forum and what can it do for my situation? I'm not interested in modding (speeding up) my video card, I just want video to work without crashing the system. Should I purchase an extended warranty on this laptop and have faith in the goons at Acer, will stand behind their product because so far it doesn't appear that's the case. Thanks for any insight into this issue. Keep up the good work and sharing information like this, it is very helpful.

Well heres the thing I also bought this laptop in the blind faith that it would work ok in games but is was wrong. I was having an issue recently with the computer slowing down excesively and video being choppy and slow. The problem was that the gpu was overheating because the heatsink where the fan blows out the hot air was blocked by lint and other particles. I suggest removing the bottom lid its pretty simple and i dont think it voids warranty. Just remove the four screws on the bottom and pry the lid of it takes a little force but dont bend too much or itll break. The remove the two screws where the fan is and check to see if you heatsink is free of blockage, buy some compressed air and blow out all the dirt it could have.

BTW the inf that will be provided here by Andrew is designed to get the max out of this laptop, even if its not too much. But try what i told you and then check back to see if Andrew reposted the infs, driver issues are a pain but like ive said before when it comes to computers you have to have patience.

Hope this helps. Thanks again to Andrew for your hard work.

Thanks for the info. I have GPU Z reports that the GPU temps run between 60-70 deg c. I will clean heat sink. Also, problem started surfing when waking from a sleep the display settings are all out of sink, a minor annoyance but a new problem none the less, I'm wondering what other new problems will surface with this video card? thanks again

Thanks for the info. I have GPU Z reports that the GPU temps run between 60-70 deg c. I will clean heat sink. Also, problem started surfing when waking from a sleep the display settings are all out of sink, a minor annoyance but a new problem none the less, I'm wondering what other new problems will surface with this video card? thanks again

Maybe it could be some other problem, because if the gpu is running between 60-70 it should be fine, when you reach over 80 you need to get a cooler or clean you heatsink. Maybe it could be memory related. You should try your memory on another laptop or borrow some memory from someone else to see if thats the prob. Thats all that i can think of right now. Also check your cpu temp and mobo temp maybe theres something wrong there. Theres a program called SIW (System information for windows) it gives you all the temps in a single screen.

I'm noob...cant find where can i download that inf

I am new also, but I believe he has it down right now for updating. It should be back up soon.

Yes, I'm back and I will be having it back new and improved as early as tomorrow.

Any final requests or improvements/ problem fixes you would like in this release before i upload it?