LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9600m GT on AMILO Pi1556

Guest Slid

@facey where u get uniwill bios from ?? i will try with my amilo xi 1554 and 9600gt .. thx

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnBRoot

• shark300

• alecool

• Crispii

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

F*ck me! I bricked my card... Not exactly bricked, but the result is the same, i can't run my laptop.

I flashed with a 9600 bios having ID from a 8600GT, but I didn't remember the need for the 2.06 Alienware bios for 8600GT to run on Amilo. My lappy is now loopbooting, no chance to reflash...

Is anyone here around Sydney with the possibility to put a 8600GT MXM card inside his laptop to reflash back to a good bios, or I could borrow a card to flash my mobo bios to 2.06? Anyone, I'm open to propositions, maybe even sexual ones (...joking...)

I'm so mad at me right now...

No chance you have your old MXM card to use in order to change the bios and then try the new one again?

Wierd, loop-booting isn't usually the case when these things happen.

I'll try the trick with memory, but I don't believe in it that much. And I changed my card because the previous one was blown. I will probably buy a new one, flash both my computer and the old 9600GT and sell the new one back if working.

The problem is that I fashed with a PCI ID from 8600 amd 8600 doesn't work on Pi1556 without AW 2.06 bios.

I bought a card 9600 on ebay, let's hope I could flash the old one back to the old bios...

Edited by alecool

I also did the uprade from x1800 (amilo xi 1546) to 9600m gt and i've the same issue with the 30 sec beeping and error massage on startup.

I think nobody has a definitly working solution yet?!

Clocks of ram, shader and gpu are fine now because of the very helpful guide of nightstalker. overheat ist also not a problem. i have 50-55 deg on idlemode and 75-85 deg on performance 3D mode. but the anoying beeping on startup still exists an i just want to ged rid of the damn thing :)

Today i asked the FSC-support for help and i hope i'll get a useful answer. If i do, i'll let you know! :)

ps.: i'm from germany so please apologize any misspelling.

Edited by Cyta23

witch drivers for 9600 guys u are using , i gets error msg in win xp sp3 after upgrade from x1900 ( deleted all drivers) to 9600m gt that i need to turn off other equipment in my lappie coz there is not enough resources to use this .. any ideas ?? i didn't reinstalled windows by the way ... bios Alienware m5550i-r3 Bios V 2.07 help ... :)

drivers from http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=23114

Edited by epsoo

@ epsoo:

Well that's odd! I have also the DOX 182.05 and it works great but I have a problem with sleep mode: I can't simply go into sleep...

Is your power supply 90W or 120W? Anyway it should not be the issue as mine is 90W and does not heat at all.

Try to uninstall and use driver sweeper then boot in safe mode to clean all nvidia remnants and then install another driver.

@alecool:

Damn bad luck. That's why I kept Amilo bios and not AW (even if I can't go to 4gig of RAM...)

And thank you btw for the ACPI tweak it works nicely (the problem is the xml file is case sensitive and my model is PI 1556 not Pi 1556, figures....)

@all:

The 30" beeping issue is common for all old Amilos. Maybe as you said a bios tweak could do the trick. What's strange is that 8600m GT does not do this issue and it's not in Amilo's bios database as well.

Personnaly I think it's because 9600m are MXM 2.0 compliant and Amilo is MXM 1 only, it's the same thing as PCI express compliant. So it works with a little perf dowgrade and pops an error code...

Guest Guest

the problem is not the mxm 2.0 cos the same is the ati mobility 3650 gddr3 (mxm 2.0) and works perfectly without any start up issue.

the problem is in database of the amilo bios that not support some string code that are in nvidia 9600m gs/gt bios at the moment of the start up, when the amilo/AW bios is going to question this code to nvidia 9600M bios.

thats not 100% accurate. I had the 3650 gddr3 and had a start up issue. It was like the card needed to heat up for a short time then after powering off and on again it would start

I found error string (ERROR: MXM Structure not found or invalid. Reflash MXM ROM or add MXM Structure and associated callbacks to SBIOS! POST will be halted for 30 seconds and performance will be limited to balanced performance mode until this is resolved...) in vBIOS dump. I will disassembl this code, and the counter decrement to 1. or 0.

Edited by shark300

Wow awesome job!

You should post a tutorial to get this thing works for every 9600m user.

Guest Guest

Hey, i got the Amilo M3438G running with a 9600gt and i got this 30sec. delay, too.

I don't understand what u have done, so can you explain it again(i'm german)

Thx Donlucas

@shark300 you are on the right track i think, the phoenix bios is problematic as it seems to be uneditable with any Bios editor out yet

if you just kill the timeloop out of the aw and fsc bios that would be neat! otherwise we have to wait for an new bios editor to leak out.

PM me and i provide you with the bios or whatever help i can give out.

You already unpacked it? WinImage? it's not that hard to get hands on it but editing won't be easy. Finally one who knows disassemble bios code :)

Edited by Meins321

@Meins321:

I made a little modded vBIOS. I flashed a new bios on my videocard yesterday, but the notebook didn't boots. I reflashed it with original vBIOS, and notebook is working, but this has startup delay. :)

I'm working on the problem.

MOD:

New idea, new version of vBIOS, but my pendrive is broken. I'll flash tomorrow (today :) )

Edited by shark300

Yeah, we can easily find the error string in the disassembled bios, event with the Hex view of Nibitor, the trick then is to find where the countdown loop is located to modify it, which I couldn't figure out due to my lack of knowledge in assembly language. Still, this is a partial fix just to trick the countdown, it wouldn't fix the card being used in PCI-x x1 instead of x16 (I guess), and the full support of the card by the bios.

it wouldn't fix the card being used in PCI-x x1 instead of x16 (I guess), and the full support of the card by the bios.

This card can use PCI-e x16, but can't use PowerMizer 2, 3 level. I hope, this problem is resolved in future.

Edited by shark300

i thought that the error comes from the Laptop bios? not from vbios in mxm, as the mxm table is stored in the vbios but the error code from halted boot comes from the laptop Bios because it can't access the mxm table wich is now different from that old gpu vbios?

If youre right then this is just the wrong forum and maybe someone can help us elsewhere.

Maybe it helps but i don't know for sure:

I've downloaded IDA Pro Free

open ida.cfg file in the IDA Pro installation folder with text editor , then delete the default processor for *.rom file.

then open vbios -> chose processor: metapc -> "NO" only 16 bit disassemble -> here you go should be asm code next to an hex editor

btw, what did you use as thermal interface material? any good heatpads around? or copper and as5

[EDIT] ok deleting the text isn't that hard as you can do it with any HEX editor but then the crc check fails and you have to force the flashing, i will look into that too but i think it's hard to accomplish for me as i can read any asm

[EDIT2]@shark300 does that mean you only have 30s countdown? no beep beep and so on? as i find only the beep annoying and i would wait for a good GPU 30 Sec ,-P

Edited by Meins321

Maybe it helps but i don't know for sure:

I use IDA, too. I can disable to write error code, but I have delay yet.

Guest Guest

[EDIT2]@shark300 does that mean you only have 30s countdown? no beep beep and so on? as i find only the beep annoying and i would wait for a good GPU 30 Sec ,-P

hey, i don't have the beeps at startup, but i think it has something to do with my soundcard, because if you take headphones you may hear it. Same thing when installing windows: you just can hear the sound by the audio output until you install the realtek driver.

greetz Donlucas