• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• PColis

• DoZe

• mobilenvidia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whorebo : Can you check your score with 67.02 for exemple ?

Patrick

Hi there!

I've got the same problem! HL2 with white textures on few items or textures. My Notebook - a Toshiba P10-544 gives me the same results as told at the beginning of this threat.

I tried some of that drivers you can download here.

The 67.02 is the driver you need for HL2. Maybe there are more drivers HL2 will work with - I dit not try them yet.

Problem: Other games, like Joint Operations, do not work as they used to be! But on the other hand, you can play HL2 with that 67.02.

I hate those providers who sell that **** FX Go5600 without any driver-updates!

Hope you can understand the words I wrote above - writing in english is very hard for me! :)

Whish you a merry x-mas and happy good year...perhaps with some new mobile drivers which works on my system.

Greets,

Scotty Speedman

Hi,

I have the same problem, white textures in HL2, (55.77). However with the original (old) driver from Toshiba (44.85) the problem is gone, but in this case performance is very bad (3dMark score 1400).

Hope someone will find an answer

Confirmation from silver-blue as PM :

" japp so ist es hatte 61.xx forceware drauf und da hat ich das gefühl er schläft mir ein habs wieder weggemacht. ich geh davon aus das Toshiba and der Graka manipuliert hat um übertaktung und ähnliche zugriffe von aussen zu verhindern. "

IMPORTANT :

56.87 and 56.91 runs fine but all next drivers (57.64, 57.79, ...) runs awfully (400 in 3DMark03).

So here is my question : what is the difference between INF series 2x and 3x ???

:)

Something have changed that affect some toshiba P10/P20 laptops, but what ???

:)

Patrick

Hi, I find out that the limit between working and not working drivers is 56.91 (INF series 2x) and 57.64 (INF series 3x).

What was the major differences between this two INF serie ?

I make some synthetic tests on drivers >= 57.64 and notice that everything is slow (fill rate,geometry rate, pixel and vertex shader, ...).

I suspect that the driver did not switch the core and memory speed from standard 2D to low power 3D or performance 3D.

Did you know a tool that monitor the core and memory speed in the time ?

Patrick

Difference 20s/30s inf here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=5760

Nothing interesting there, jedenfalls, wenn ich diesen Artikel schnell ueberfliege...Pieter hat Desktop support hinzugefuegt, which should not affect you.

The really BIG CHANGE was from 10.xx -> 20.xx , as all SUBSYS IDs were gone and there were only one Section / DeviceID left over. Ich war damals skeptisch und hab Bedenken angemeldet, aber die Zeit hat gezeigt, dass es die richtige Entscheidung von Pieter gewesen war. Die Probleme und issues sind dann dramatisch zurueckgegangen :)

Ich denke langsam auch, dass der P10 eine spezielle Einstellung benoetigt. Das zeigen Deine Tests ja! Nur welche, ist halt immerwieder die Frage.

realtime check for GPU MEM/CORE clock: probably RivaTuner.

• 1 month later...

I have an alienware with geforce fx go 5600. I am also having trouble with all the driver above 56.77. Sometimes it would run okay and sometimes when i boot or when i start a game all i get is a black screen and have to reboot.

Patrik, what is the original driver of your P10 again?

I found a setting which is missing in the 30s INFs, but is present in the 20s INFs and "Dynamic Engine" sounds like it is worth a try to add :)

[software Device Settings section]:

HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled, %REG_DWORD%, 2

Test done : no improvement.

As always, i have less then 600 in 3DMark03 and less then 2000 in 3DMark01 with drivers after 56.91.

Does someone know if i can test a more new driver (for exemple 57.64) with an older INF (for exemple 20.60) ?

I wish to be sure that's a settings problem and not a driver related problem.

Patrick

You should be able to fairly safe use an older INF as long as its the same series.

No harm will come of it, worst thing that can happen is you may need to reboot to safemode to uninstall driver.

The only real difference between 20 and 30 drivers are I added support for the desktop GPU's in the 30 series.

Have you tried on of my Tweakless INFs these have no other settings other than what came with driver.

What I would like you to do is setup another partition only needs to be 5GB.

Install XP, and 3D Mark 2k1 and or 2k3 (latest version) absolutely nothing else !!!!

Even try to avoid to install all the Toshiba rubbish if you have a restore CD.

Now install any driver higher than 56.77, reboot and run 3DMark.

This will confirm it's not SP2 or DX9c or any other prog causing it.

If it does work then install XP2 rerun 3D Mark, then install DX9c, rerun 3D Mark, etc etc.

We'll get this beat, but we need to start eliminating things that might be causing it.

Seems odd that all of a sudden the drivers would slow up a GPU that much.

Many thanks for your answer !

What i will do is trying a newer 50 series driver with the 20.60 INF

and if no success trying to install a new XP SP1 (original install of XP freeze on a P10 because of ACPI) and a fresh driver install without any tweaks (67.03 or 67.66 ?).

Patrick

Note: During the very beginning of Setup you can press F5, then an option appears where you can choose what kind of HAL is getting installed (ACPI, non-ACPI, DUAL etc.) :)

Yes, I know but installing a laptop without ACPI is somewhat unusable (no standby, no power managment, ...)

Could this be part of the problem, as ACPI could be using the same IRQ as the Video card.

Have a look in the 'System Properties', 'Device Manager', then 'view' 'Recourses by type', 'IRQ"

With my system IRQ 9 is used for ACPI and nothing else is used on that IRQ as piccy below.

Is yours the same ? if it is sharing an IRQ then there could be trouble.

Make sure you do this with the newer problem drivers and also with a working driver.

There must be a reason why ACPI has problems.

post-3-11077975260_thumb.jpg

ACPI is on IRQ 9 and is alone. GeForceFX is sharing IRQ 16 with others.

Should i try to let the BIOS set the IRQs (/PCILOCK in the boot.ini) ?

I can also try to install a Windows XP with another HAL ; Standard PC instead of ACPI Multiprocessor PC...

Don't do that last one. It would remove support for your hyperthreading CPU.

Bad news : I've tried driver 57.64 with the INF of 56.87 (20.60) and got exactly 580 points in 3DMark 2003.

If I compared only the single texturing fill rate between 56.87 and 57.64, here are my results :

56.87 : 810MTexels/s

67.64 : 230MTexels/s

Does someone know a tool that can monitor and log the core and memory frequency during a benchmark for exemple ? I really suspect that the GPU stays in the 2D clock rate...

I will try this afternoon to reinstall the PC with another HAL and without any Toshiba crap.

Patrick

Bad news again !

Clean install of windows XP with standard HAL with only nVidia video driver (67.66) and 3DMark03.

Score = 610.

I really did not know what i can search for :-(

Patrick

I really suspect that the GPU stays in the 2D clock rate...
This is quite the only assumption that sounds resonable and could be responsible for such a performance loss. So the search should continue on settings that have impact on the Mem/Core Clock settings.

And i thought the DynEngClock setting would solve it ... :) Problem is we don't have enough information on all the settings and more important how they behave or if they are still used in new set of drivers (50s series -> 60s series for example).

Know settings to try:

HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled,            %REG_DWORD%,    0

HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled,            %REG_DWORD%,    1

HKR,, dynEngCtrlEnabled,            %REG_DWORD%,    2

Do these conrol 2d/3d or AC/DC performance ?

HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x23

HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x2323

HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x33

HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x3322

HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,                  %REG_DWORD%,    0x3333

Guest Whorebo

Omg... this is becoming insane.

Why why why why must we suffer so terribly!!!!

Toshiba should give us answers the... %§$"§%$!§! My stupid laptops mainboard even died just recently, after only 1 year! how ###### bloody stupid...

Go Toshiba....

Yes, alas nVidia don't release what their settings actually do.

So we are working blind in trying things, a very slow process, but like the Tosh Black Bar issue we get there in the end.

I have very bad news again.

I make some tests between driver 56.87 (last "fast" driver with 56.91) and 57.64 (first "slow" driver).

Full 56.87 package with INF v20.60 and only nv4_mini.sys from 57.64 --> SLOW

Full 57.64 package with INF v30.25 and only nv4_mini.sys from 56.87 --> FAST

The only hope i have is that the default internal value of one setting has changed after 56.91 and that this value can be modified through the registry.

So lets try to find all registry entries that are directly opened from the nv4_mini.sys driver.

Patrick