LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

Just a quick check to EU site for bios files, http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi....jsp?service=EU (maybe you should update topic with those) , I saw Toshiba released 1.5 bios for those models;

5200-701

5200-801

5200-901

Still 1.4 for others. I also hate the way Toshiba EU don't list the changelog, instead they say 'Traditional Update'! LOL! Should we get used to update annually? :)

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just had a look for 5200-902 (was still 1.40), but didn't looked for the ones you listed.

Concerning the changelog: TRUE! It's awful.

Btw we 5200 users should make a thread and collect wishes what they should update in the next BIOS release. I already ask about to implement/add a fix/feature, that booting from USB-Keydrives is possible. I would even accpet SD-Card booting, but they don't move. This is something that bugs me for really quite some time. And my blood pressure rises instantly, if i only just think abou this topic :) When you complain as single person they won't listen to you.

Does anyone know if it's possible to separate power profiles in Toshiba Power Saver (I use v7.03.02)? When I used older version of this utility, had power adapter connected and pressed Fn+F2 I could see only power modes which were made for AC connected mode. When it was not connected there were only battery modes in the list. But now all of them are mixed together. It was more comfortable before as I had only a couple of them at the same time but now all of them are seen and they cannot be deleted from TPS.

Not sure but I don't think its possible. At least I tried but couldn't find a way :)

®®®, I guess latest Synaptics drivers that works with original cPad application is now 7.5.3(http://w-uh.com/download/synaptics_touchpad_7.5.3.zip) as we know of. You may want to update topic and files according to that.

Edit: Found 7.5.7 and that also works with original cPad application. ftp://ftp.synaptics.com/pub/drivers/7.5.7NewUIUSXP2k.zip

Guest blazers-33

hi @ all

I've got a question concerning the function FN+F5, this doesn't work anymore on my

Sattelite S5200-903. I updated to WinXP SP2, all Toshiba software utilities installed.

If I press Fn+F5 nothing will happen -- strange. :)

Does anybody got the same failure, or maybe sombody could help me??

Will be nice, thx

Hi, have you tried installing Toshiba Display Hotkey Utility (there should be an ini file along with TFnF5.exe, right click to ini file and select install). But it's not recommended much and Nvidia taskbar icon can nicely handle it.

hotkey_dd_xp_21001_en.zip

You are welcome. Be sure to try RemoteX and cPax for your 5200!

Also minor news;

Changes of Bluetooth Stack 3.20.00 -> 3.20.01:

- Minor Bugfixing

Edit: I thought a screenshot would be nice.

Edited by sn0wl

I found Hotkey Utility for Display Devices (FN+F5) version 2.8 while checking my hd.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new Intel PRO/100 driver available HERE. It's version v8.0.19

Toshiba Power Saver for Windows XP

Version: 7.05.06.PR

Size: 7,387,272 bytes

Posted: 04/22/05

LCD Brightness bug exists.

Download

Toshiba ACPI Common Modules for Windows XP

Version: 6.02.05.TE

Size: 2,202,768 bytes

Posted: 04/21/05

Failed to install here, maybe I need to uninstall previous one first?

Download

Edit: It caused breakdowns, don't use.

Edited by sn0wl

• 2 weeks later...

* Laptop Make/Model : TOSHIBA SATELLITE 5105-S701

* Graphics Card : nvidia nv17 GeForce 4 440 Go 64

* Current Driver Version : 76.50

* Last Useable Driver Version : 28.XX

* Operating System XP PRO

* An accurate description of the issue at hand:

Hello and big thank you everyone.

At the nvidia 'custom resolution' panel, I would like to set my refresh rate to 100hz with my native screen resolution of 1600x1200.

It tells me ' custom resolution cannot be added'

At the moment it only allows me to select 60hz. SLOW!!!!

Before I updated my nvidia drivers to v76.50, I was using v28.xx from toshiba - and it allowed me to overide and set the refresh rate up to 100hz.

The reason I am asking about this is because, when I set the refresh rate the to 100hz, the system actually works FASTER! as if I just overclocked it from 60miles to 100miles!!!

This is probably one of toshiba's secret untold tweeks.

Hope theres some toshiba users out there who know what i'm talking about.

Thanks in advance

Scot

:) :) :P :(

Guest Guest

Hi, i could use all the help here....

i tried installing the latest Intel PRO 100 VE drivers but the laptop simply says there are moe recent drivers installed ( 2001 versions) even though i'm running WinXPH-SP2.

this is what i got with the Toshiba Diagnostics tool:

Date 2005/05/11 01:26:11

[PC Information]

Model Name SATELLITE 5100

Part Number PS510Z-00NUH

Serial Number <i'm leaving this blank>

OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

BIOS Version Version 1.90

CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 Mobile CPU 1.70GHz

Memory 512MB RAM

Hard Disk Capacity 40,007,761,920 [byte] 37.260 [GB]

Hard Disk Free Space Capacity 18,553,288,704 [byte] 17.279 [GB]

Video NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go (Toshiba) ver=6.6.9.3

Screen Resolution 1600 x 1200 Pixels

Color Quality True Color (32 Bit)

Sound YAMAHA AC-XG Audio Device ver=6.13.10.3157

Network Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection ver=5.41.35.0 MacAddr=00:00:39:9A:23:C4

High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter with Modem II ver=1.7.43.1156 MacAddr=00:05:3C:04:25:3D

Modem TOSHIBA Software Modem AMR ver=3.1.100.0

IDE Device 1 Toshiba Sm Host Driver 0000

IDE Device 2 None

IDE Device 3 TOSHIBA MK4018GAP

IDE Device 4 None

IDE Device 5 MATSHITA UJDA720 DVD/CDRW Firmware=1.00

IDE Device 6 AXV CD/DVD-ROM 2.2a

Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

EC/KBC Version "V1.50"

PS-MICOM Version "V1.00"

help anyone?? plus, is it advisable to flash the bios for the GPU? (Geforce4 440 Go 32mb) if so , i need directions..i'm totally lost a.k.a "Noob"

danke

You have tried to install with HaveDisk-Method described here (usable also with Network driver update procedure):

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=33 ? Pay attention to picture 3 and 5.

Btw just in case i would recommend to check the SMART status of your TOSHiBA HD with SpeedFan (almico.com/speedfan.php). They are known to have a limited life (~1 year @ some models like 60GB GAS).

GPU flash is not needed. Maybe SystemBIOS update.

Guest Guest

thanks a lot, it worked! i didn't understand what u meant by the SMART status, is there something i should change?? i got the speed fan installed, it shows the temperatures, etc....but umm, ok i'm dumb here...what am i supossed to find out :?:

post-10-11158599700_thumb.gif

Guest Guest

Please help. I have the toshiba 5205-s505. I bought an external usb 2.0 hard drive. But the transfer speeds are slow. It takes more than 20 minutes to transfer 1.5 gigs. I installed service pack 1 because I read somewhere that it's needed to take advantage of usb 2.0. But it's still slow. Do I need to install anything else: drivers, service pack 2, etc.? Please help.

Thank you.

Hello,

I am once again going to redo my 5200 and this time I purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 to make an image of the finished OS. My question is; is it best to install XP Pro right off the bat or use the XP Home Restore disc then upgrade to Pro?

I want everything to be relatively close to the factory image since I use this laptop for software development, I'm a bit concerned of creating a non stable system by not installing all the required or specific Toshiba software but without the bloatware. As well should I copy the XP Pro cd onto the harddrive fist and install from there and if so how do you accomplish that?

XCOPY d: *.* c:/windows/xp ????

Thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

ok, this is something different, i'm not sure if this is the right forum thread to post on. :)

well, my laptop is a Satellite 5100 ( similar to s5105-607) and the LCD somehow got messed up. the hinge seems to be broken, and the lid can't close that well.... the bad thing is that this is a 2001 model, so basically out of production i suppose, and also the warranty cover ended about 6 months ago....

any idea where i can get a replacement? or good repair suggestions?? the broken part is near the left speaker, trying to close the laptop makes the silver speaker cover want to get off :)

help please!!!

~~

Mine also did not came with BT, but as i now have a mobile phone with BT and syncronize function, i would be interested, too where and what to buy. As the Mini PCI slot is already occupied by WLAN, i can only think of a PCMCIA card... BT stack is kind of a driver for BT which allows communication between OS and device.

XP already has BT support and there even is a wizard for receiving and sending files with BT: fsquirt.exe

Though i think the Toshiba Bluetooth stack software has some more features than XP.

Maybe you should just buy an USB dongle. They are cheap and there are nice small ones out there. Toshiba Bluetooth Stack is only to use with Toshiba internal BT device as far as I know so you will need to use generic XP apps or use the ones provided with your BT device, which are mostly the same (Widdcom driver pack or something.) I don't prefer using XP one.

The only experience I have with bluetooth is when my math teacher got this school pad thing that she can use to control the mouse with a pen and draw stuff on the projector during class, the bluetooth communication works pretty well, she is using some small USB thing.

(Us students like to play with it too..... :) )

Just make sure you don't have any IRQ conflicts, because of those it took us the longest time to get that thing working on our teachers PC.

If you guys aren't concerned about using up a PCMCIA slot, you should go get a small one of those, should not even stick out of the laptop.

If you have other PCMCIA stuff, the cards are pretty much hotswappable, atleast in windows XP, just turn if off to stick back in a USB2 card, or firewire card, or capture card (yes I have discovered I do not need my USB 2 device cause kwolrd makes a capture device that goes right into the PCMCIA slot and requires no addition power, they are coming out with a new one,[did somebody say HDTV capture?] might want to get that someday)

A small USB one would work nicely too. there are also ones that are like the size of a big mouse connector, just plug it in to your laptop. (no cord)

If I knew or had one myself that was really good and cheap, I would recomend one, but I don't so I can't really recomend one...

In case you haven't noticed, i uploaded a new IR driver which is compatible to/supports all SMC device IDs: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....indpost&p=16962

@mobileQMaze

I am once again going to redo my 5200 and this time I purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 to make an image of the finished OS. My question is; is it best to install XP Pro right off the bat or use the XP Home Restore disc then upgrade to Pro?
What i did was, i made an image of TS OEM XP Home installation for warranty handling ("You don't have the default OS installed, so we cannot support you" :) ), deleted the HD, made my Partitons with PQ PM and installed the OS (Pro version) on the first Partion, all Data (My Documents, MP3 , docs etc.) goes to another partiton, this makes the image really small (700-800 MB with PQ DriveImage6 DOS in my case) and fast restorable or updatable with new application/driver versions and MS Updates.

Do not upgrade :P

@guest: Sorry to hear that but i also noticed that the hinge starts to be a bit "out of form" (though it's the right one), but the 3 year warranty is still running and i will get this repaired in one of the next weeks.

The LCD really was not closed very often here, seems to be a bit misconstructed :) ?!