LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

Hi Anytimer, I have the same notebook like yours. my questions to you are:

1. did you install the hybrid drive first then override it with the new ones?

Yes.

2. if you install after the uninstall hybrid driver, did you install intel driver from intel first? for the nvidia optimus 270.61 did you changed only nvam.inf? cna you share yours?

Yes. Changed 3 lines in nvam.inf (two lines needed; one line optional).

3. did your notebook get over heated? during full performance what was your notebook temp? i am running cad/cam/cae software and using hybrid graphics 263/2266, my notebook gets hotter in a while and the side fan was blowing out lots of heat.

Notebook getting hot when working hard is normal and expected. Had no problems though. No freezes, etc. Temp was around 90C.

4. any resolutions for HDMI to work on HDTV?

I don't have an HDMI capable monitor or TV, so can't say whether it works or not. I was hoping others could fill that in for me.

thank you for your sharing information with us.

cheers,

nvam.zip

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ozone

hi anytimer, thank you for sharing with us.

I did install everything according to nautis and it was successful. however, i could not get nvidia control panel working and it seems that it stuck with intel HD. do you know how to resolve this issue? have you get this problem before?

i am trying to find a resolution from the forum but i could not find it.

i am using intel HD latest driver 2361 & nvidia optimus 270.61.

could you help us?

cheers,

hi anytimer, thank you for sharing with us.

I did install everything according to nautis and it was successful. however, i could not get nvidia control panel working and it seems that it stuck with intel HD. do you know how to resolve this issue? have you get this problem before?

i am trying to find a resolution from the forum but i could not find it.

i am using intel HD latest driver 2361 & nvidia optimus 270.61.

could you help us?

cheers,

Probably the old nvidia control panel sitting around in your system messing things up. Uninstall the nvidia driver, use a driver cleaning utility like nfr_071.exe (I got it from guru3d.com, but just google - choose a reputed site). Then reboot and reinstall the nvidia driver.

Sometimes the nvidia control panel icon is put in the Windows control panel. Try launching it from there. HTH.

Guest Squibie

Hello!

Guys plz help me. I've got dell vostro 3700, and already tried everything to get it working as it should while playing video games. The problem is I dont know why the only driver that works with modded inf(tried alot of them) is the latest 270.61. However, my favourite game i play 90% of time(Heroes of Newerth) has an issue with 330m gt that it needs 260.99 or older drivers. I dont have problems with instalation as it is always working just fine. But cant just get the nvidia card ON, it uses intel hd for everything, even though i set it in nvidia control panel to use the geforce. Ive only managed to get it working on 270.61 but then Heroes of Newerth will crash on startup. Can use dell drivers to run it however it runs bad. it jumps from 90 fps to 20 and stays like that until i alt tab, which is only temporary for like 1 minute then fps drop again.

How to make my windows 7 use the geforce card on 260.99??

Thx in advance.

Guest Ozone

Probably the old nvidia control panel sitting around in your system messing things up. Uninstall the nvidia driver, use a driver cleaning utility like nfr_071.exe (I got it from guru3d.com, but just google - choose a reputed site). Then reboot and reinstall the nvidia driver.

Sometimes the nvidia control panel icon is put in the Windows control panel. Try launching it from there. HTH.

Hi Anytimer,

Did you install the driver on test mode? from reading in this forum and others, i think i know my problem is because i am not running on test mode. However, my installation was successful and nvidia driver was loaded. just could not get the nvidia panel working because it is stuck on stamina (intel). I attached the error that i got.

any help from forum???

cheers,

Hi Anytimer,

Did you install the driver on test mode? from reading in this forum and others, i think i know my problem is because i am not running on test mode. However, my installation was successful and nvidia driver was loaded. just could not get the nvidia panel working because it is stuck on stamina (intel). I attached the error that i got.

any help from forum???

cheers,

No, no test mode. I installed WHQL drivers; only the inf was modified, so all I got was the warning about the driver being unsigned. Once you get past the inf, the other drivers in the WHQL package are all signed, so no problems there.

You'll probably have to register before you can attach files. Try hosting the file somewhere and post the link here if you don't want to register.

Did you clean the system of any remaining nvidia files and rebooting before installing the driver? Try disconnecting from the internet while you do that in case Windows is trying to be extra smart and downloading a driver it thinks is suitable.

A version using http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.27-beta-driver.html would be nice, as I would like to see if Witcher 2 would be slightly more playable with minimum settings :) Might try editing inf myself (unless beta's can't be used?), but will see if the drivers beat my winmerge skills...

The release notes make very interesting reading. :) Best of luck. Let us know how you get on. Remember, these are beta drivers, so you'll have to do the driver signing thing. Also recommended - uninstall the existing drivers and clean any files left behind using driversweeper or nfr.

Guest Yohann

A version using http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.27-beta-driver.html would be nice, as I would like to see if Witcher 2 would be slightly more playable with minimum settings :) Might try editing inf myself (unless beta's can't be used?), but will see if the drivers beat my winmerge skills...

That driver will not improve the performance of the Witcher 2.

The release notes make very interesting reading. :) Best of luck. Let us know how you get on. Remember, these are beta drivers, so you'll have to do the driver signing thing. Also recommended - uninstall the existing drivers and clean any files left behind using driversweeper or nfr.

275.27 WHQL is out, so driver signing shouldn't be an issue.

Guest whyhellothere

Hey everyone. Thanks to the hard work of everyone on this forum, I was finally able to upgrade the ancient graphics drivers on my Asus UL80VT last week. I've been really happy with the results of 270.61; haven't had a single problem so far, and optimus is great. The installation was also incredibly simple. Anyway, I got the Witcher 2 yesterday and performance has been a little lacking, but I heard that the new 275.27 drivers were released to address some of the issues, and people have been reporting huge performance increases with the new driver in that game. My question is, how would I go about upgrading my current driver to the latest one? I know I'll have to uninstall my current drivers and run a driver cleaner, but I am wondering if I can just use the same nvam file that worked on my previous driver, or will I need a new one for these set of drivers? If so, can anyone post the updated file? Also, if anyone has already tried these new drivers, can you share your experience with us? Have they made any difference for you?

Again, thank you so much for everything you guys have done. I thought I was screwed when Asus stopped supporting my laptop with driver updates, but thanks to your efforts, my laptop has got a new lease on life. :)

Guest dorian_gray

Hey everyone. Thanks to the hard work of everyone on this forum, I was finally able to upgrade the ancient graphics drivers on my Asus UL80VT last week. I've been really happy with the results of 270.61; haven't had a single problem so far, and optimus is great. The installation was also incredibly simple. Anyway, I got the Witcher 2 yesterday and performance has been a little lacking, but I heard that the new 275.27 drivers were released to address some of the issues, and people have been reporting huge performance increases with the new driver in that game. My question is, how would I go about upgrading my current driver to the latest one? I know I'll have to uninstall my current drivers and run a driver cleaner, but I am wondering if I can just use the same nvam file that worked on my previous driver, or will I need a new one for these set of drivers? If so, can anyone post the updated file? Also, if anyone has already tried these new drivers, can you share your experience with us? Have they made any difference for you?

Again, thank you so much for everything you guys have done. I thought I was screwed when Asus stopped supporting my laptop with driver updates, but thanks to your efforts, my laptop has got a new lease on life. :)

Exact same situation as the fellow above... I'm hoping the 275.27 will give a small bump in Witcher 2 performance on my UL80VT (WIn7/64).

Is it as simple as downloading and extracting the driver package, replacing the inf file with an mod'd version (note the one above does not work for the G210M), then run setup?

Is it as simple as downloading and extracting the driver package, replacing the inf file with an mod'd version (note the one above does not work for the G210M), then run setup?

Yes it is, bar the usual usual housekeeping stuff like uninstalling the old drivers, running driversweeper or nfr to get rid of anything left behind, rebooting, etc.

The inf is the key. It tells the driver installer which files are to be copied to various places in your system, and which changes in the registry have to be made. The driver packages support a large number of devices, so the lines in the inf which refer to your hardware have to instruct the installer to only do what is relevant to your system. The Sectionxxxx number is most critical.

Keep a copy of the previous (working) driver. You may need to refer to the inf in that. Note that in some cases there are a few spaces before the " at the end of the device string. These spaces are critical - copy paste recommended.

Guest Dorian_Grey

Yes it is, bar the usual usual housekeeping stuff like uninstalling the old drivers, running driversweeper or nfr to get rid of anything left behind, rebooting, etc.

The inf is the key. It tells the driver installer which files are to be copied to various places in your system, and which changes in the registry have to be made. The driver packages support a large number of devices, so the lines in the inf which refer to your hardware have to instruct the installer to only do what is relevant to your system. The Sectionxxxx number is most critical.

Keep a copy of the previous (working) driver. You may need to refer to the inf in that. Note that in some cases there are a few spaces before the " at the end of the device string. These spaces are critical - copy paste recommended.

First off, thanks for the response anytimer.

Now the issue...

I've attempted to install the 275 package you've linked to above, dropping in the modified .inf file first.

Setup runs fine, restart, drivers aren't working (only options are 800x600 + 1024x768).

Not certain how to troubleshoot. I have no problem trying to grind it out and modify my own inf using a working driver, but I'm not certain how to identify what inf file to snag the lines from.

Alternately, if there's something I'm missing or another thread that touches on this, please let me know!

BTW - my laptop does use hybrid graphics, but I'm only concerned about the discrete side of things.

Guest whyhellothere

First off, thanks for the response anytimer.

Now the issue...

I've attempted to install the 275 package you've linked to above, dropping in the modified .inf file first.

Setup runs fine, restart, drivers aren't working (only options are 800x600 + 1024x768).

Not certain how to troubleshoot. I have no problem trying to grind it out and modify my own inf using a working driver, but I'm not certain how to identify what inf file to snag the lines from.

Alternately, if there's something I'm missing or another thread that touches on this, please let me know!

BTW - my laptop does use hybrid graphics, but I'm only concerned about the discrete side of things.

This was the modified inf file that worked for me on 270.61:

I'm downloading the 275.27 driver right now and I'll be comparing the nvam.inf in that to the one that worked previously for me, but honestly, I'm way in over my head here. Maybe it will be easier when everything is in front of me.

Guest dorian_gray

This was the modified inf file that worked for me on 270.61:

I'm downloading the 275.27 driver right now and I'll be comparing the nvam.inf in that to the one that worked previously for me, but honestly, I'm way in over my head here. Maybe it will be easier when everything is in front of me.

I feel like I'm really close here.

Just tried explicitly choosing the modified .dll using the 'Have Disk' process.... seemed to be running ok and my screen actually flickered, but it literally timed out and failed. When I exit it shows as having the 275 set of drivers installed, but obviously didn't complete the install. Same thing is probably happening in setup but their API hides it...

Curious to see if you have better luck than me.

Guest whyhellothere

I feel like I'm really close here.

Just tried explicitly choosing the modified .dll using the 'Have Disk' process.... seemed to be running ok and my screen actually flickered, but it literally timed out and failed. When I exit it shows as having the 275 set of drivers installed, but obviously didn't complete the install. Same thing is probably happening in setup but their API hides it...

Curious to see if you have better luck than me.

I think I got it to work! I'm going to poke around a bit and see if it is working properly and then I'll post the nvam.inf that I edited. Wish me luck!

Guest dorian_gray

I think I got it to work! I'm going to poke around a bit and see if it is working properly and then I'll post the nvam.inf that I edited. Wish me luck!

Good luck! Standing by here...

The inf and the steps you took would be hugely appreciated!

Guest whyhellothere

Good luck! Standing by here...

The inf and the steps you took would be hugely appreciated!

It works but I must have done something wrong because the sound only comes out of the audio jack on the laptop and not my HDMI source. Maybe I accidentally deleted the Nvidia HD Audio drivers. I'm going to try installing those now to see if I can fix it. In the meantime, I've attached the nvam.inf that I used to get it working, if you also want to poke around. Can anyone who knows what they are doing do a look over and make sure the file is edited correctly? Also, I'm pretty sure it will only work on the G210m laptops as that is the only string I copied over, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I've played the witcher 2 for a bit and it seems like there is a slight performance boost, but nothing spectacular. Maybe 1 or 2 extra frames. Kind of a bummer, but hey.

So, the steps I took:

1. downloaded the driver from here:

2. Drop the modified nvam.inf file in the Display.Driver folder.

3. Uninstall the old drivers, reboot.

4. Run Driversweeper, reboot.

5. Install the new driver.

Hopefully I can get the sound issues worked out. Tell me if you have better luck.

Guest dorian_gray

Weird, I can't seem to attach the file. I've uploaded it to megaupload instead:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CY5CLZPQ

Ahhh no luck. Followed your steps to the -t-, seems to install fine via 'Setup', but when I restart after performing the install it's not detecting the new drivers, the 210 just shows up in device manager as a standard vga adapter (with a yellow exclamation mark).

Incidentally, when I try using the 'Have Disk' method, it times out.

THanks again for your help, I'll take another crack at this tomorrow.

Guest whyhellothere

Okay, yeah, it's definitely not working right. It doesn't switch correctly like the 270.61 optimus drivers and I no longer have the ability to set the graphics adapter for each program to run on. I think I'm going to go back to the 270.61 drivers until someone who is more knowledgeable about this process creates a proper nvam.inf/method for installing these drivers. So yeah, ignore everything I posted above as it doesn't work very well.

Okay, yeah, it's definitely not working right. It doesn't switch correctly like the 270.61 optimus drivers and I no longer have the ability to set the graphics adapter for each program to run on. I think I'm going to go back to the 270.61 drivers until someone who is more knowledgeable about this process creates a proper nvam.inf/method for installing these drivers. So yeah, ignore everything I posted above as it doesn't work very well.

I'm very busy with work right now and don't have any time whatsoever to play with this, but I suspect you guys have screwed up the Sectionxxxx number in the inf, and the installer is copying the wrong subset of files to your system. I might be wrong, but it is definitely an area for you to explore further.

Also, try deleting the other infs in the package. If there is a better match for your hardware in one of the other infs, then the installer will look at that and not look at the nvam.inf at all.

Please register, everyone, if you can. You'll be able to attach files, and we'll be able to see your hardware details that you enter in your profile. I find it very difficult to keep track of what hardware each guest has, so I don't know whether my comments are at all relevant to your system or not.

Guest SomeOne123

I used the inf posted some pages ago and modified it to use my HW and Device ID (I'm on a Dell Vostro 3500 that has an Geforce 310M).

I was able to successfully install drivers 270.61 but now my computer is only using the Intel HD. I can't use the nvidia card (It says I'm not connected to a nvidia GPU).

What can I do?

I downloaded the 275 driver and where is the modified inf file that i can download for my dell vs3750 nvidia 525m?

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF5&SUBSYS_04C61028&REV_A1

thank you.

edit1, i modified the inf file was able to get the driver install, but somehow the HDMI audio driver is not working. anyone else has the problem it was saying the resource is in used.

Edited by dnsmo