LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INF for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

July 30, 2005:

* Added minor updates to both Windows XP infs.

* Added new nv_LH.inf for Windows Vista (Longhorn) LDDM driver 75.03.

Note there's no nvidia control panel with 75.03, but the driver works fine with both the 5150 and 5160.

As always, please let me know if there are any problems, especially with the Vista (Longhorn) driver since we're in whole new territory here.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• Kamika007z

• Bill

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

July 31, 2005: Updated the Vista nv_LH.inf to (hopefully) solve some black screen problems at bootup.

Note - Fast User Switching and changing resolutions do not work correctly and will result in a very long black screen. This looks like either a driver bug or a Vista bug.

If anyone still has trouble booting, please let me know. Thanks!

Can you boot into Vista at all? I have no problems booting but get that infernal black screen whenever I try to switch users, change resolutions, recover from standby, etc. etc. etc. In other words, anything that causes any kind of mode change at all.

I don't think there's anything else I can do until we get a better driver, and that may take a while. It turns out the graphics subsystem feature set isn't finalized yet, so there's no driver development kit yet either. Nvidia had to shoot pretty much in the dark to even give us this one.

:)

Hey, I'm trying to find out which is the drivers that will give me the best performances while playing my games such as Doom3 or HL2 and which are compatible with your mod inf.?

I also wanted to know if there is a BIOS update for my CG?

Best performance is still driver 67.02. 67.66 is almost as fast and fixes some bugs, so that's the performance driver of choice for most 5150/5160 users.

The graphics BIOS is included with the main BIOS on the 5150. The latest on Dell's site is version A38, which I recommend.

Will it be the fastest for running HL2 because I tend to find some lags....(i'm runing the 77.72)

Creative_ar, 67.66 definitely will be faster than 77.72, though I can't promise it won't have lags. The Go5200 is a very slow graphics chip and really not too good for games.

Guest, I would drop back to one of the non-LDDM drivers for now and hope we'll have better luck with the next LDDM driver. Both nvidia and Microsoft want to get LDDM working for everyone, so we should have a better driver soon.

Hello Guys i was wondering what would be the best settings for virtual memory. I have 256 ram. Should run my pc on system manage or custom size. Some let me know what are the best settings for optimal performance?

I let the system manage the size. It seems to work fine.

We're doing some work on the servers, so download it from here for now.

That file seems to be missing, I'll fix it up.

Looks like a few 67 drivers were missing. Fixed up and re-double checked all files. Thanks for letting us know :)

What games do you play?

Please run NERD and post the logfile for us.

As for how much, depends on the game and how much RAM you have, and what settings your pc and the game has.

If you have atleast 768MB virual RAM that should be enough. (is probably default too)

Anyway posting the logfile will tell us your specs.

Hello guys I finally got 1 gig of memory and Half Life 2 and BF2 play perfectly. I recently downloaded FEAR DEMO and i notice that it runs extremely slow at times and then it would speed up. I was wondering if anyone else has started playing this game yet and i was wondering if there were any tweaks i could run to speed this game up i have a 2.8 gig p4 processor. geforce go 5200 64 card and 1 gig of ram xps2?

Guest Guest

Ok I had a nother go at it again - and it worked fine ... except the graphic display was screwed.. like i only had half the screen - and rest was fuzzy .. etc. I'll take a pic when I get a hold of my camera. Glass effects looked great tho (Y)

Hello guys i know this off the topic but i was wonder if someone can help me with this. I have a inspirion 5160 that came with a samsung cdrw/dvd sn-345. Sometimes when i try to burn a dvd+rw on my desktop and then put it in my laptop, the 5160 wont read it. I was wondering if anyone knew any solutions to this problem?

The only thing I can suggest is to check for firmware updates for both drives. The Samsung drive sholdn't have any trouble reading DVD+RW.

If firmware updates aren't available or don't solve it, make sure the burner is working correctly and the disks are readable in other machines. If so, see if Dell will exchange your Samsung drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I some questions for you guys. I'm running a 2.8Ghz P4 5160 with 512 RAM and a 32MB GeForce Go5200 with 61.14 drivers.

#1 -- My screen goes black when I close the lid, however, it stays black when I lift the lid. I can assure you it's still on, the display doesn't return though.

#2 -- How does everyone get the 67.66 drivers? I play games, but not graphics-intensive games. I wonder if this updating will remedy the problem.

#3 -- In full screen mode on certain games (SimCity 3000 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory) the game has white lines and flashes uncontrollably. I run these games in windowed mode and they run great. What could be my problem?

Thanks in advance.

67.66 is available here.

Extract it into a folder and replace the inf with my nv4_disp.inf, which is at the bottom of the first post in this thread. Then use the "Have Disk" method to install the new driver, which you'll find described here.

This should solve both of the problems you described. Let me know if it doesn't and we'll do some troubleshooting.

Guest Guest with Go5200

I am the guy from above.

I didn't try closing my lid yet, but when I start up, it swtiches to 800x600 resolution. I'm going to test the lid closing right after this.

Thanks a bundle!

Guest Guy from above

I'm sad to say this, but it does not fix the black screen problem.

What happens is when I close the lid, the screen obviously goes black. Then, I open it. It comes back, then turns black and stays black. All keys make the "dink" sound, and nothing spurns it back to life.

Running 67.66 with your INF on Go5200 32MB.

Thanks for your help!

Guest Guy from above
I'm sad to say this, but it does not fix the black screen problem.

What happens is when I close the lid, the screen obviously goes black. Then, I open it. It comes back, then turns black and stays black. All keys make the "dink" sound, and nothing spurns it back to life.

Running 67.66 with your INF on Go5200 32MB.

Thanks for your help!

My final results are as follows:

The graphics on games are better.

It does not fix the lid closing problem.

Games are very choppy, but look better.

I have to rollback. These drivers make the game run choppily.

Thanks.