LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INF for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Ah! My mistake... I thought you were having trouble viewing DVDs. Unfortunately, you are running into the awful reality about the FX Go5200... It's a terrible game chip. As a gamer myself (with a machine identical to yours), I know exactly what you are experiencing. I get around it (as best I can) with the following settings:

- In the nVidia Control Panel, set Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering to Off.

- Set Image Settings to "Performance"

- Set all optimizations to "On"

- Set LOD to Clamp.

- Set your display settings back to Full Hardware Acceleration.

- Make sure both Fastwrites and Sideband Addressing are enabled.

- Run your games at the lowest resolution and quality settings you can live with.

- Stick with driver version 67.66. It's the fastest of the modern, fully compatible drivers for the 5150.

- Save up for a laptop with a Go6800 or Go6600. :)

If all else fails, you can try overclocking. I don't personally recommend it, but I've done some testing and it looks like you can run the Go5200 core at 225 and memory at 450 pretty reliably. If you do that, don't leave your main power profile set to "Always On" or "Desktop." The 5150 is very prone to overheating, so use the Laptop power profile, which will let it cool down at half speed when the CPU isn't under heavy load. Don't worry, it will always run at full speed when it needs to.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but this is the very problem that brought many of us here.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• Kamika007z

• Bill

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ChAzZ

tried everything, even overclocking. =(

just can't get the graphics moving fast enough for high motion.

next stop, more RAM! gonna upgrade from 512 to 1GB, i could use it anywayz. ebay, here i come!

thanx for all your help. maybe between your advice and the upgraded RAM i'll be able to manage.

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you all know that I have tried some drivers and I still get the Black & White TV-Out problem, using the RCA composite cable to connect to my TV. The only driver where I do not have this problem is on the the stock Dell 45.28's. I have modded the set in order to include a good amount of features, but any other driver gives me a black and white output on the TV screen. Anyone else have this problem?

Drivers that I have tried are:

53.06 (I think I tried this one, it's been a long day... :) )

Any help on this matter would be really helpful... Larry, do you get color on your TV when performing a TV-Out?

Thanks!

Edited by Kamika007z

Yes, I do get color. I wish we could figure out what causes this, and why it only affects some machines and not others. It's very strange!

:)

What drivers are you currently using? I'm going to run a test from your INF/driver and my INF/driver.

Thanks,

John

Guest Kevin

Regarding the Black and White TV out issue... way way back, I had the same problem, but when I closed the lid, the video flickered and went to color... eventually I was tinkering with some of the color settings and found that the saturation was too low... why it turned color when the lid closed I'll never know, but now, with the saturation and balances correctly set, I don't have the issue... could give that a try.

Interesting suggestion, Kevin. I hope some others try it and report back with the results!

John, I'm currently using 72.03, but it's never happened for me with any driver. I have a feeling it's a hardware or BIOS thing. People have reported fixing it with different driver versions, different S-Video cables, etc. (Kevin't suggestion, above, is intriguing too.) It may come down to a difference in the video (TV) chips that get used in different machines.

Kevin, I'll definitely take a look at that, thanks for the tip! :)

Larry, Yeah, this is leading me to believe that it's a BIOS issue that Dell never updated or corrected. Maybe I can email them, somehow and tell them about it. Are there any BIOSes that could be jacked in order to make them work better? Or are there any BIOSes that have been out for the Quadro4 700 that Dell hasn't posted? Then again this card was made ONLY for the Dell M50 notebook, I don't think other notebooks had this card... Ah, I'm just rambling...

Thanks!

Hey all,

I am unable to find the setting called "Saturation" I thought I had seen it before. Was is added later on? Currently, I am running the 56.77's

Thanks,

John

On an intresting note, I tried emailing nvidia at support@nvidia.com, explaining to them the Quadro4 700 & TV-Out issue, and it was returned to me by a server response, stating that I should use their online form. However, I don't have a name or password in order to log in!! It will not let me create such an account unless I have a CSID or Customer Service ID, with an appropriate product serial number from an nvidia-bsed product. Go figure.

It's on the Video Overlay Settings page.

No good :)

Any other ideas on what might help it? Perhalps an INF switch?

Thank you!

John

Are you missing the Video Overlay Settings page entirely, or just the saturation slider? If the slider is there but greyed out, you can uncheck the VMR checkbox to enable it.

If the entire page is missing, try these settings in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf:

HKR,, OverlayColorControlEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, OverlayContrast, %REG_BINARY%, 64,00,00,00

HKR,, OverlayMode2, %REG_BINARY%, 50,05,10,00

HKR,, OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%, 05,00,00,00

HKR,, OverlaySaturation, %REG_BINARY%, 64,00,00,00

In the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section, try the following line:

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak", OverlayPageState, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Hopefully one of these will work!

:)

I have the overlay settings page. What didn't work was the saturation slider, alongside any other setting that I tried. I'm trying to work with the 5x.xx set drivers because after that set, I believe it was all downhill from there for this graphics card.

Thanks,

John

Those lines will work with 5x.xx drivers, but I don't know if they will solve your B&W problem.

Good luck!

I was able to get the 47.19's work with color and counter-strike didn't have any graphics anomilies as well (that was one of my open gl problems, oddly enough counter-strike source uses dx7,8,9, does not have any problems).

I now have have Standard (DualView) and Clone. What other switches were there in order to achieve other options when running different types of dualviews? I remember there were two other types I could choose from.

Thank you, :)

John

post-10-11166953440_thumb.jpg

Horizontal Span and Vertical Span are the other two options. If they are missing, add (or modify) the following two lines in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section of your inf:

HKR,, DevicesConnected, %REG_DWORD%, 255

HKR,, NvCplConfiguration, %REG_DWORD%, 0

NvCplConfiguration must be set to 0, not one of the many other numbers used by various infs.

Good luck!

Thanks very much Larry! Got it to work.

John

Excellent, John! :)

Guest cheezwiz

Hi all,

I have the same config as lsudlo.

I came here in search of drivers that perform better with HL2.

I have figured out how to install new drivers using the inf files provided here, but I have a consistent problem with new drivers I install. I have my LCD set to time out after 10 minutes with no screen saver. After it does this, I am unable to "wake it up" again without doing Fn+Suspend, then hit the power switch.

Anyone have an idea of what could cause this?

I do have XP home SP2 rather than Pro.

cheezwiz

Does this happen every time, or only when you are in a game lilke HL2? It works okay for me in normal Windows, but games tend to override the Windows controls and all bets are off.

If it happens in normal windows mode, make sure you are in "Single Display" mode in the nvidial control panel. Some people have had this heppen when they are in DualView or Clone mode.

Guest cheezwiz

Thanks for the reply,

This problem was happening in windows. However, it disappeared after installing 72.03. But now, new problems are showing up. Whenever I run Topo USA 5 it will crash to the desktop at random times. I am also getting a blue screen that I experienced before with my desktop and a bad Gforce 4 TI card, "IRQ less than or equal to 0".

Also, the video settings are reverting to low resolution when using fast user switching.

I am going to switch back to the shipped drivers and see what happens..

CW

Okay... let us know how it goes. Unfortunately, it sounds like it might be a hardware problem.

Guest cheezwiz

OK, after going back to my original drivers, it is still crashing. Microsoft pointed me to this site after recovering from the error:

Microsoft Error Report

Is there a utility that will scrub the system of all Nvidia driver and allow me to start with a clean slate? Or am I looking at a format/reinstall?

I keep hitting that thank you button acidentally........

Anyway, to answer your question, there are programs that can "scrub your system clean" of nvidia drivers.

I would recomend one, but I have never used one so I am not much help in this matter. (never needed to use one)

You can search on google or wait for someone else to answer..