LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Guest CBChapman

Larry,

Installed the 169.47 Driver and the game does play a lot better, but just curious about my scrolling now. When I scroll down or up with my touch pad while on a web site, it's very choppy, and delayed......what would be causing that? Is there a setting that I should adjust? It was very smooth and responsive before the diver switch.

Thanks

Brian

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm, okie, sorry I thought it was limited to 4:3 res, but obviosly not if you had it before.

why arent you doing a straight VGA out instead of S-Video ... the quality is 400% better!

Because its fed to a video amplifier, then off to 15 Plasma screens, the club is wired for standard video only, so thats what I have to use. Cabling a club with D15, and the cost of the video amp would be painfully expensive, that is if the furthest plasma was within the range the a VGA cable maximum range.

Larry, will give it a try, Is there anyway I can modyfy the INF, just for perhaps one or two or the res's "I" need, ie just adding 720x480, 720x576 and 800x600, for the TV out just for littl ol' me!?

720x480, 800x600 is already in the inf. you should be able to add it 720x576 to the inf by opening

nv4_disp.inf and adding to the following line below....

HKR,, NV_Modes, %REG_MULTI_SZ%, "{*}S 320x200 320x240 400x300 480x360 512x384 640x400=1FFF;SHV 640x480 720x480 768x576 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x720 1280x768 1280x800 1280x854 1280x960 1280x1024 1360x768 1366x768 1400x1050 1440x900 1600x900 1600x1000 1600x1024 1600x1200 1680x1050 1920x1200 1920x1440 2048x1536x8,16,32=1FFF"

If you still have issues, format & try a clean install or XP!

you can alway image your current partition if you "need" to

But they are not appearing, on the last reinstall with the modded inf the options i got was 1024x640 and 1024x768. Perhaps the two top options, or the two bottom ones? first time i installed it (modded inf i also got 800x600 for some reason.

There must be a reason its only giving a couple of selections.

I really only need two anyway, just not those two!

This is a clean install, would rather avoid doing that again! =)

Thanks

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

well it isnt a clean install if you have installed these drivers....

baseline should be default drivers.

as I said before, my experiences is that resolutions may not show the first time round installing the driver, but second time round it does.... guessing you have done that....

sorry I have not other suggestions.... :/

Ok ya got me on that one. Windows was freshly installed yesterday.. :)

Just tryin reinstall over the top second time with same inf now, but all the last 5 or so installs have been with similar INF file, just not the exact same inf like this time.

Nope, no luck with same inf either. even went browsing through Regedit, and all the res's seem have come across from the inf, the driver just dont seem to want to allow them, even with the custom res of 720x480 does not appear, i suspect because its below the lowest ones shown of 800x600. I also suspect that if i add more they wont appear either, and on test they didnt! Whats the point of having custom resolutions, if the driver wont allow you to select them!?

Grr

Halo and Kane, the problem is getting Windows and/or the nvidia control panel to display resolutions lower than 800x600. I know it can be done, since games do it all the time, but unfortunately, I don't know what controls it. My best suggestion is to use RivaTuner's Custom Display Modes wizard. It looks much more powerful than the one in the nvidia control panel. I even see 720x568 PAL and 768x568 PAL listed as predefined options. (I'm using driver 169.47.)

CBChapman are you talking about in the game or in Windows? If you mean in the game, you need to set the number of frames to render ahead to 0. Unfortunately, that option isn't included in some new versions of the nvidia control panel. (It's available with the 174 control panel, but not with 169. It was also available under the old-style control panel.) If it's not showing up under your driver version, use RivaTuner. You'll find it under Direct3D Tweaks\VSynch\Pre-render limit.

Think I'll drop back to 84.25, that driver was always good to me, aside from 3 bluescreens over 4 years. I can cope with that, its usually helped by my software thou.

I agree the the current drivers seem to have an issue with going lower than 800x600.

Larry, What driver version do you think is best suited to video playback, are the 84.xx drivers a good shot for this? From memory i had big issues with 9x.xx driver, everytime i copied files across the network, the laptop rebooted! only on 9x.xx driver, she's normally rock solid.

Thanks for all your help on this guys. Aprreciated!

Kym

Edited by halo_djk

Guest CBChapman

CBChapman are you talking about in the game or in Windows? If you mean in the game, you need to set the nuber of frames to render ahead to 0. Unfortunately, that option isn't included in some new versions of the nvidia control panel. (It's available with the 174 control panel, but not with 169. It was also available under the old-style control panel.) If it's not showing up under your driver version, use RivaTuner. You'll find it under Direct3D Tweaks\VSynch\Pre-render limit.

Larry,

It was with Windows...although it's not doing now after another restart, I think it was a glitch between my wireless mouse and my touch pad so no worries......

This driver seems to be working good with the game so far, biggest drawback I think is the Video Card, the game calls for a minimum of 128MB of Ram, and of course that doesn't add up to 64MB, but all and all it's very playable. Thanks for your help, I'll continue to check in and try new drivers as they come available, as I like to constantly try and tweak the system, just ashame they don't make a higher performance graphics card for these guys, you'd think someone would make one somewhere.

Thanks

Brian

Halo, the 84 series is excellent for video, although I recommend 84.98 over 84.25. It fixes quite a few bugs. The 9x series had serious conflicts with our Go5200 in Windows XP. (98.13, on the other hand, turns out to be our best Vista driver.) Anyway, yes, you'll be fine with the 84 series drivers.

CBChapman, you're exactly right. This card would work fine for many games if someone would just figure out how to mod it to 128MB or 256MB VRAM. The card even looks like it's ready for a second chip, though I've never found the right VRAM chip to try.

Guest Crebegea

Hi, all.

Is there any 'engineer' around here who can confirm that the 15in SXGA+ LCD panel from 5160 is compatible with the 5100 Inspiron?

Or, on the same matter, is the Samsung 15in SXGA+ that goes under P/N LTN150PGL02 compatible with Inspiron 5100 ?

If some of you guys have had the experience of changing/replacing the LCD screen to an INspiron 5100, could you give me some directions? I have found several seemingly fitting items on the ebay, but I really want to get something that works!

Thanks for your help,

Sincerely Cornel Rebegea.

One question. Im going back to 67.66 drivers and I was wondering when in the installation it asks to overwrite files because they are newer then the ones im installing do I put yes or no? Thanks

Better to use driver cleaner, or the leftover files from newer drivers may cause problems. The structure of the drivers probably differs, so all files are not written over.

Zipper is right - or at least uninstall your previous driver in the Windows Control Panel.

You may still get that message. If so, answer "Yes" and overwrite the newer files.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry,

Long time lurker, new poster. Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work. You and those who've contributed have really helped my 5150 game like a champ over the past couple years.

:)

Thanks, nuclear! We appreciate the good words!

:)

Guest CTMVT

Hi Larry,

Another Vermonter here - Chester (right next door). I am writing because I have been having some issues getting a 5150 with an upgraded SXGA lcd to work with the higher resolutions. I downloaded the drivers you suggested - the 174.60 - and put the .inf files in the folder on the desktop where the driver info had been extracted. After clearing the video driver and reinstalling - it still will not go above the resolution that is stock - 1024 x 768. Is there something else I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-C

Hi, CTMVT...

Is it a true SXGA (1280x1024)? If so, it's listed under the installed resolutions so something is blocking it. The first thing to do is make sure you're running in single-display mode in the nvidia control panel (under Set Up Multiple Displays). When you're set up for multiple displays, the driver won't let you go higher than the lowest resolution display available.

Let me know if that doesn't solve it and we'll dig a little deeper.

• 3 weeks later...
The driver is here:

The inf is here.

I must say that the 169.47 driver and the Larry INF for the Dell 5150 both work great on my Toshiba Satellite M30-842 (FX Go5200 65Mb). Now I can enjoy a 1680x1050 resolution on the secondary VGA output connector !

Thanks a lot !

Guest CTMVT

Hi Larry,

Chris from Chester checking back with you on my 5150 issue. Going into the NVidia control panel, it is not showing the higher resolution anywhere, nor can I force it in as a custom resolution. I do have the system set with a single monitor, but that did not seem to help. When I picked up the screen (off Ebay) it was represented to me as the higher resolution lcd and is a silver framed unit from a later model - or so I was told. Any thoughts on this?

-C

Hi, Chris...

Even if the LCD is capable of higher resolutions, it may not be "publishing" its available resolutions in a way the 5150's Go5200 can understand. RivaTuner can override hardware and may solve this for you.

You can download it here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-T...RivaTuner.shtml

RivaTuner isn't the world's most intuitive tweaker. The setting you're looking for is on the Main (startup) tab, under the top (Target Adapter) "Customize" drop-down box. The second icon is for "Low-level refresh rate settings." Under that, you'll find two tabs - the one you want is the "Monitor driver wizard." You can customize most of your LCD settings in there.

Let me know how you make out with it.