LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 195.62

Dox

hybrid graphics is buggy in this release,

you should try to install using Standard Single/SLI option?

Will lose hybrid function though.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• Nautis1100

• Darmach

• zipper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Berrzebb

hmm try it.

uninstall/install forceware 195.62

restart computer show screen

but intel 4500 warning mark

The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)

Fix able?

Thx

Guest tastier

Berrzebb, try booting into safe mode(F8) then install Dox's driver again(any previous nVidia drivers uninstalled, right?), selecting single card config this time. Reboot into disabled driver signing mode(F8) and see if it works, use that dseo13b.exe util to turn test mode on, reboot again, sign both file listed below, use dseo13b.exe again to turn test mode off, reboot again. Get it, got it, good.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys

Seems you can run in test mode indefinitely if need be, even removing the "test mode" bottom right corner "watermark, but AFAIK that's not necessary if you've signed the files listed.

Guest Berrzebb

hmm...

no fix problem

try graphics uninstall dox install reboot -> signed mode(F8)->dseo13b(Testmode on)->reboot->dseo13b(both file sign & test modeoff)->reboot enjoy

ok?

Guest tastier

Like Dox said, the Hybridpower thing is broken in this release so you can run either nVidia or Intel not both, so it's normal to have a problem with the Intel driver when you have Dox's driver installed(in single mode). I think that's right.

I need the good battery life running on Intel affords so I have the original driver Asus provides installed with working Hybridpower support. Apparently nVidia will release new mobile drivers in early march from what I've been able to gleen on the nVidia forums so I'm hoping that'll help, wishful thinking I guess.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=156267

hmm...

no fix problem

try graphics uninstall dox install reboot -> signed mode(F8)->dseo13b(Testmode on)->reboot->dseo13b(both file sign & test modeoff)->reboot enjoy

ok?

You won't see official support/drivers for Hybrid Graphics/Switchable Graphics from Nvidia. Especially so since optimus basically makes their existing hybrid graphics technology obsolete and is what they have been shooting for for a while. With optimus there is no longer a Hybrid Graphics (Intel/Nvidia) combo driver, the drivers are now separate as they always should have been. No special files or INF configuration needed. As far as I can tell the only thing really additional that will be needed for optimus support in standard drivers are the following entries:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm",EnableCoproc,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm",PreferCoprocOverHybrid,%REG_DWORD%,1

For a comparison of Optimus vs Hybrid Graphics/Switchable Graphics see

The PreferCoprocOverHybrid setting piques my interest though with our existing Hybrid Graphics notebooks.

One other thing to note is that the new Vaio Z utilizes a new interesting variation of our traditional Hybrid Graphics as seen in

. The NEW Vaio Z uses a "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M" and "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD" rather than the "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family" our Hybrid Graphics notebooks have now.

Ok now its time to get the hybrid graphics portion of these drivers working shall we. :)

so many things to keep up with.

We could try to support all these new hybrid notebooks only to fudge the traditional hybrid technology?

Its one of those dodgy area where you would need to add extra options in the installer in terms of whether you got optimus (Asus only)/traditional hybrid. I'm guessing optimus drivers wont work on traditional hyrbid graphics, but it does seem alot more sensible - as you say as it should have always been.

When i was making release, i was thinking how much work hyrbid graphics was, it took away time in tweaking more juice out of the drivers.

It be cool if we can enable optimus drivers on traditional hybrid graphics systems somehow, escpecially since it seems so striaght forwards as you point out.

Anyways good to see you back :)

so many things to keep up with.

We could try to support all these new hybrid notebooks only to fudge the traditional hybrid technology?

Its one of those dodgy area where you would need to add extra options in the installer in terms of whether you got optimus (Asus only)/traditional hybrid. I'm guessing optimus drivers wont work on traditional hyrbid graphics, but it does seem alot more sensible - as you say as it should have always been.

When i was making release, i was thinking how much work hyrbid graphics was, it took away time in tweaking more juice out of the drivers.

It be cool if we can enable optimus drivers on traditional hybrid graphics systems somehow, escpecially since it seems so striaght forwards as you point out.

Anyways good to see you back :)

Yeah its a difficult thing. I kind of figured something was up when the newer drivers became so difficult to get working fully with Hybrid Graphics. Hybrid Graphics is a pain in the butt. It is a combination of a couple specific files and two sets of drivers form two separate companies packaged together as one with a customized INF specific to the configuration. It is really no surprise to me that with a configuration like that Microsoft said they would not support it due to a bad user experience. Anytime you have that much customization, drivers packaged together in a convoluted "but it works" package that conforms to almost no standards and at least three companies involved. Hell trying to get one company to support your product is difficult enough.

The fact that we can get Hybrid Graphics working in a nonofficial package is a testament to our abilities as modders. I don't think too many people will be able to recognize what an achievement it is. You, attempting a driver package that supports as many crazy configurations as it does is an even bigger feat, regardless of performance you have achieved something no one else has.

Optimus... not so straight forward. I haven't had much success getting the Optimus drivers working thus far with Hybrid Graphics. Nvidia "claims" a specialized hardware configuration is needed in order to have it switch seamlessly without the screen flash/delay. Nvidia has claimed a lot of things in the past however that have only turned out to be special configurations or locks in place in their drivers. Again that PreferCoprocOverHybrid setting makes it seem like at very least like Optimus can be downgraded to Hybrid Graphics (else why even mention hybrid). The new "shim" drivers in the package are interesting to me also. We shall see.

Beyond the single mobile Nvidia driver benefit to Optimus, Nvidia has also stated that it is something they will officially support in their mobile releases. This is something us Hybrid Graphics users have been waiting for for what seems like forever (its even something Nvidia mentions in their mobile releases.)

Guest tastier

Nautis1100 and Dox, thanks for bringing some real meat to the table and for all your hard work. It amuses me that the MS and nVidia(Asus?) worry about providing the best user experience and yet there are many users with 2-3 month old machines, stickered full of certifications, that are stuck with old drivers and little hope of updated, official support for their hardware. When I buy a new notebook I expect a year or two of driver support at least, I mean how old are these features, they definitely seem to have been marketed and hyped up until quite recently.

I certainly feel a little suckered atm, how's that for a great user experience, not to mention that this ul30vt here looks to get 20-30% lower performance with the bundled drivers in certain games, Mass Effect 2 for instance runs far better with Dox's 195.62 release.

Anyway, thanks again and cheers.

Nautis1100 and Dox, thanks for bringing some real meat to the table and for all your hard work. It amuses me that the MS and nVidia(Asus?) worry about providing the best user experience and yet there are many users with 2-3 month old machines, stickered full of certifications, that are stuck with old drivers and little hope of updated, official support for their hardware. When I buy a new notebook I expect a year or two of driver support at least, I mean how old are these features, they definitely seem to have been marketed and hyped up until quite recently.

I certainly feel a little suckered atm, how's that for a great user experience, not to mention that this ul30vt here looks to get 20-30% lower performance with the bundled drivers in certain games, Mass Effect 2 for instance runs far better with Dox's 195.62 release.

Anyway, thanks again and cheers.

We just try to pick up where these companies leave off. I feel your pain when it comes to Hybrid Graphics I truly do. When I got my Vaio Z and learned that there was really only going to be one (now two) driver releases for us I decided to look into it myself. Credit where credit is due however, Nvidia has made it so even while being complicated to put together a Hybrid Graphics set most driver sets function with our Hybrid Graphics as long as they are packaged a specific way.

Nvidias Hybrid Graphics (aka Switchable Graphics) is a difficult technology. The reason why there is so little support in the first place is basically due to the fact that three companies need to be involved in the first place. The third company (asus in your case) is the one left with supporting it and they just don't have the resources frankly (sounds weird I know). It is a difficult thing though, because in see Optimus it is obvious that it is everything Nvidia was striving towards with Hybrid Graphics.

There are probably two reasons why Doxs drivers perform so well with our Hybrid Graphics notebooks. The first is that they are newer drivers and in being so they are optimised by Nvidia for the latest games. The second is due to the fact that Dox has his own optimisations he puts in place with his drivers.

Anyways let me try to catch up here on what problems Hybrid Graphics users are running into with this set Dox has released and see if we can get a workable patch put together.

You wont find a better driver modder than nautis when it comes to hyrbid graphics.

He basically told me what to do in 185.85 in that front.

I know that release was a massive head ache for him since I was busy doing other parts for that release and just sat back and asked a load of questions - basically firing shells at him - but he stood firm.

But it was a fun time for us both - we shall release another driver based on the next nvidia mobile release (if all goes to plan).

With nautis back it gives me more time to play with the weird and wonderfull hacks.

for now nautis is looking into hopefully making hybrid graphics work in this release,

and trust me when i say he will go about it in a clinical way.

Any ways, thanks nautis.

OMG :)

@Nautis - as (sadly) a UL50VG owner - i rly hope u'll succeed in putting our Asus hybrids to work with Dox's drivers :) Currently - after installing, and forcing running not signed drivers, we get black screen after windows load...

You wont find a better driver modder than nautis when it comes to hyrbid graphics.

He basically told me what to do in 185.85 in that front.

I know that release was a massive head ache for him since I was busy doing other parts for that release and just sat back and asked a load of questions - basically firing shells at him - but he stood firm.

But it was a fun time for us both - we shall release another driver based on the next nvidia mobile release (if all goes to plan).

With nautis back it gives me more time to play with the weird and wonderfull hacks.

for now nautis is looking into hopefully making hybrid graphics work in this release,

and trust me when i say he will go about it in a clinical way.

Any ways, thanks nautis.

No worries mate. Felt like I left ya high and dry on this release. Sorry bout that. Yeah, if nothing else I am clinical. :P

OMG :)

@Nautis - as (sadly) a UL50VG owner - i rly hope u'll succeed in putting our Asus hybrids to work with Dox's drivers :) Currently - after installing, and forcing running not signed drivers, we get black screen after windows load...

Yeah black screen problem I know how to fix. is this 64bit or 32bit?

Win 7 x64 PRO, on asus UL50VG (basically all of the ULxxVx series - with switchable intel's 4500 and NV G210M graphics)

Win 7 x64 PRO, on asus UL50VG (basically all of the ULxxVx series - with switchable intel's 4500 and NV G210M graphics)

Got it.. Gimme a little bit and a patch will be soon. We are going to need to drop back a little bit to version 1994 on the Intel drivers though.

Currently Asus newest (and only one ;P) is 8.15.10.1855. Does 1994 have this fancy-nice-looking graphics properties/settings panel like the new ones? ;>

Currently Asus newest (and only one ;P) is 8.15.10.1855. Does 1994 have this fancy-nice-looking graphics properties/settings panel like the new ones? ;>

Unfortunately the "fancy-nice-looking graphics properties/settings panel" is part of what is causing the problem in a Hybrid Graphics package. Its strange because it works fine if you install the Intel drivers on their own (breaking Hybrid Graphics switching in the process) there is just something about it packaged with Hybrid Graphics that makes it give the black screen. So no, essentially downgrading the Intel drivers to before the "fancy-nice-looking graphics properties/settings panel" is what fixes it for now.

I am on the right path to figuring out the actual black screen issue with the "fancy-nice-looking graphics properties/settings panel" Intel drivers. Basically what is happening is that the notebook LCD panel is not being detected/set properly, instead the VGA port on the notebook is set to the one and only display out.

EDIT: Hah.. I forgot that I screwed up my Windows 7 installation while trying to get optimus working on our hybrid graphics notebooks. I cannot install new drivers until I reinstall windows. I may have to post up the patch untested (something I really hate doing) so someone else may have to test it. The patch has Powermiser set to On and Mipmap set to default.

Well as I said my Windows is screwed up and wont let me install new drivers. I have posted up the Win7 x64 Hybrid Graphics patch for testing here. Someone please test them before everyone jumps on them. I may have to make some adjustments. This being the case these are just for testing and as always with unofficial drivers and untested things could potentially screw something up.

Note: This patch installs a working version of the Intel drivers without the fancy new settings/control panel.

To install this patch:

1.) Run 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe and allow it to create the "Win7x64" folder on your desktop. Next at welcome, read and agree to the license agreement and then you can close it out. DO NOT INTALL THESE DRIVERS! WE JUST WANT THE Win7x64 FOLDER TO APPEAR ON THE DESKTOP!

2.) Extract Dox_19562_x64_HGfx_Patch.exe to the "Win7x64" folder on your desktop replacing nv_dispm.inf.

3.) Run setup.exe or manually install the drivers. Note: Don't forget to sign them afterwords.

What this patch does:

This patch extracts working Intel drivers (Version 1994) to desktop/Win7x64/x64_patch and also replaces the existing INF with one that will install the working Intel drivers from the x64_patch directory.

Looking forward to hearing if this works.

Ohhh.. what a pity with intel control panel.... but anyway it's the nvidia performance i care the most in this situation (although new intel control panel was nice - i saw it installing intel driver alone too)

Anyway - thanks for your efforts :)

Last time I used one of your modded drivers they were great and my cousin is using your drivers still, I would use your drivers except you stopped supporting desktop video cards which I use while he's on a laptop. Is there any chance that you will be adding desktop support to your drivers anytime soon or even again at all?

Guest tastier

From 800x600 land, may be a bit hasty, but here are some results from testing with the patch.

launched 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe

waited for Win7x64 to finish extracting

canceled 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe dialog (also tried with canceling after license agreement)

copy files from Dox_19562_x64_HGfx_Patch to Win7x64 overwriting nv_dispm.inf

launched setup

Setup concludes prematurely with:

InstallShield Wizard Complete

The system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time run

the installation again.

Tried to install manually via device manager.

In device manager selected path to Win7x64

Device Manager finds driver and starts install but conclude prematurely with:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

NVIDIA GeForce G210M

The system cannot find the file specified.

Also tried a variant(long-shot) where I replace the intel files from a fresh Win7x64 with those included in the patch (without the x64_patch folder) and leaving the original Win7x64 nv_dispm.inf in place then running 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe normally and selecting hybrid. Installation this way completes but the drivers are non-functional with yield signs in device manager after reboot, even when signed or in test mode.

More cowbell,

Cheers

From 800x600 land, may be a bit hasty, but here are some results from testing with the patch.

launched 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe

waited for Win7x64 to finish extracting

canceled 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe dialog (also tried with canceling after license agreement)

copy files from Dox_19562_x64_HGfx_Patch to Win7x64 overwriting nv_dispm.inf

launched setup

Setup concludes prematurely with:

InstallShield Wizard Complete

The system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time run

the installation again.

Tried to install manually via device manager.

In device manager selected path to Win7x64

Device Manager finds driver and starts install but conclude prematurely with:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

NVIDIA GeForce G210M

The system cannot find the file specified.

Also tried a variant(long-shot) where I replace the intel files from a fresh Win7x64 with those included in the patch (without the x64_patch folder) and leaving the original Win7x64 nv_dispm.inf in place then running 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe normally and selecting hybrid. Installation this way completes but the drivers are non-functional with yield signs in device manager after reboot, even when signed or in test mode.

More cowbell,

Cheers

Bah see what happens when I can't test things.. frustrating. Let me take another look. Sorry bout that.

Try removing "/x64 patch" from the [sourceDisksFiles] header for intel file listings?

EDIT:

Install it this way instead:

Run my installer

wait for drivers to extract.

minimise installer

extract nautis patch

put nautis files into WIn7x64 folder on desktop

DO NOT USE THE NVDISP.INF File that nautis packaged

use my installer again

choose hybrid graphics

choose you powermizer and mipmap settings

click install

otherwise setup.exe will be fudged.

Remember v1.1 of this release?

I fixed setup.exe. Well you have to install it via my installer otherwise nvidia setup.exe will fail.

Hahaha just tried fixing Windows 7 by redoing the upgrade and it wont work. *shakes fist* Trying to get it reinstalled so I can test and make a proper patch. Sorry everyone.

Try removing "/x64 patch" from the [sourceDisksFiles] header for intel file listings?

EDIT:

Install it this way instead:

Run my installer

wait for drivers to extract.

minimise installer

extract nautis patch

put nautis files into WIn7x64 folder on desktop

DO NOT USE THE NVDISP.INF File that nautis packaged

use my installer again

choose hybrid graphics

choose you powermizer and mipmap settings

click install

otherwise setup.exe will be fudged.

Remember v1.1 of this release?

I fixed setup.exe. Well you have to install it via my installer otherwise nvidia setup.exe will fail.

Problem with this method is that there are new files and registry settings that will be installed due to the existing files and INF entries. That is the reason for the INF edits and new INF.

You can either download the new patch here or rename the .tvp files in the old patch to .vp in x64_patch directory and then do a manual install. Very important to do a manual install if setup.exe wont work. This should work. I don't mean to be bypassing your awesome installer Dox sorry.

So detailed instructions:

1.) Run Dox Installer (195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe)

2.) Wait for it to extract drivers to the desktop ("Win7x64" folder on desktop)

3.) Close Dox Installer (Sorry Dox) :)

4.) Extract Dox195.62_Fix_W7x64.exe to the "Win7x64" folder on desktop replacing the existing INF (You should now have a "x64_patch" folder inside the "Win7x64" folder to go along with the INF that was replaced)

5.) Open Device Manager and do a manual install. (On Vaio Z make sure the switch is set to Speed. You should only really need to update the Nvidia drivers as both should install at the same time.)

6.)Enjoy. (Don't forget to make sure testmode is enabled and sign the drivers.)