LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TOSHiBA Satellite 5000, 5100, 5105, 5200, 5205, 1950; DYNABOOK G7 & G8

®®®

Groovy. After a little more exploring, I found that it is EXTREMELY easy to remove the keyboard. A couple screws under the cover at the top of the keyboard, and a gentle pull on the ribbon cable, and POOF, it is out.

I wiped the contacts on the end of the ribbon cable, gently reinserted it into its slot, and VOILA, all the keys are working again.

Wow, that is a great relief.

A big 'Thanks' to the Internet, it's not just for p*** anymore......

Michael

Hi,

This orning, I turn on y puter, and (as you an see) soe of y keys no longer work.

The offending ones are

the DEL key, the 3 keys to the right of the Z key, the one to the right of the N key, and I think that is all.

Weird or what?

irus? y sanner finds nothing....

Trying all keys below...the issing ones are the broken ones

abdefghijklnopqrstuwyz

1234567890-=

Both shifts work. ALT and TRL work...

[]\

2 keys to left of enter broken.....,./

Weird. Has not been dropped or slapped around, just stopped working.

Ideas?

Thanks,

ihael (kannot type own nane....ARGGGHHHHH)

Edited by MadManMike

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• sn0wl

• smax

• gmaust

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can tell you for a fact that its not a virus. You or someone else must have done something to it.

Hello,

I like to upgrade my internal wireless module from 802.11b to 802.11g or better. Has anoyone been able to do this on a toshiab 5105 s701... and what brand card you recommend. i've only seen broadcom mini pci 802.11g cards.

Thanks

Yes i know the specification (as every buyer should do). Plus heaps of info for can be found in the "disassembly/maintenance guides" in our FAQ section of the forum.

Yes i know the specification (as every buyer should do). Plus heaps of info for can be found in the "disassembly/maintenance guides" in our FAQ section of the forum.

What is interesting is I found the address to this guy: Robert Plotnikoff who seems to be able to help....

Hello,

I like to upgrade my internal wireless module from 802.11b to 802.11g or better. Has anoyone been able to do this on a toshiab 5105 s701... and what brand card you recommend. i've only seen broadcom mini pci 802.11g cards.

Thanks

Any MiniPCI card can be used. Have a look at Ebay for MiniPCI. The upgrade is cheap: around 40$ or 30€

Hello, I have a few questions. I have a toshiba G8 dynabook x20pdeb is the model number. I bought it in japan.

It came with a Matshita UJ-811b dvd drive. it quit within the first few months of buy it. I would love to replace the drive and I am wondering what to buy. I don't care about burning dual layer although it would be nice. Please give any suggestions that have been tested and you know will work. I don't want to have to flash anything i just want to buy the drive and install it.

In the manual for mine it says ram is upgradeable to 1gb which i have done. Will it support more ram?

When i switched my computer to english os my remote stopped working. The japanese remote is different from the little US remote. Does anyone know how i could get the remote working as usual? I have the japanese operating system installed still as dual boot.

Thanks

Visit the News page... the list of supported GPU goes from GeForce 5 to 7... and also upcoming 8.

Can someone also add the 5105-s701, or s702 please! like to have it represented here too thx!

Added, but can you complete the missing infO:

5105-S701 (XP HOME), 5105-S702 (XP PRO): P4-M x.x0 GHz, x0GB, 512MB RAM, c-Pad, USBx.x

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a repair manual available for the Dynabook 5200? I just opened the lid and heard 2 snaps, now the lid will not stay open very well. Obviously something broke in the hinge.

Thank you.

Edited by mobileQMaze

Any Vista information yet pertaining to the 5200 model? Just installed Vista RC1 but none of the Toshiba apps are compatible, Power Saver etc....

Thank you.

What i found interesting is that the Toshiba apps did work with Vista 'beta' but not with RC1

Anyone else have any info if Toshiba will support our series of notebooks with new driver releases?

Though it wont be such a loss if they dont - Vista runs appaulingly slow on my machine (even the home basic. - do not even bother with the ultimate version)

Anyone else have any info if Toshiba will support our series of notebooks with new driver releases?

In dreams, maybe.

In dreams, maybe.

There is a legend that says... Once upon a time Toshiba released 2 drivers for the same piece of hardware.

Back in the days I had a Tecra 8100... Toshiba provided the best support ever for S3 graphic driver issues. I had to go to the equivalent of LV2Go for S3 chipsets to find solutions. That and the change the BIOS settings only thru a Windows App... made me switch to Dell.

Nowadays the only Toshiba things I tolerate are HDDs and Bluetooth stacks.

Hey guys,

My Toshiba G7's fan has been making heaps of noise lately. So I thought I should buy a new one as soon as possible. Does anybody know where from i can buy a new Fan for this model (G7/U24PDDW)?

Also does anyone know where I can find a manual as to how to replace the fan. e.g maintenance manual.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by municipal

Disassembly Guides for Toshiba 5xxx/G7/G8 can be found in the FAQ area HERE.

As far what i know fan spare parts for our model can only be found on ebay from used laptops. You might want to consider asking mattman who is a KIWI too and is kind of specialized in toshiba. I haven't seen him lately in the forum though...

What's up with your 5205, ®®® ..?

thanks for the reply mate.

Do you know the international equivalent of the G7?

I've never seen the Dynabook G7 other than in Japan, and it seems like it's called a satellite in the States, and here in Australia... or am I wrong?

I've found a fair bit of Fans for Toshiba Satellites. for example I found an eBay Store selling a fan that fits on these Toshiba Laptops:

Satellite 220CDS, 225CDS

Satellite 4000CDS, 4000CDT, 4005CDS, tellite 4005CDT, 4010CDS, 4010CDT, 4015CDS, 4015CDT, 4020CDT, 4025CDT

Satellite Pro 440CDT, 440CDX, 445CDT, 445CDX, 460CDT, 460CDX, 465CDX, 470CDT, 480CDT, 490CDT, 490XCDT

Tecra 740CDT, 780CDM

Portege 660CDT

But none of the Fans I found are compatible with G7.

cheers

Edited by municipal

Yikes, I found your forum and this thread by accident, and have etched this url in granite--you folks are great! I have applied all recommended latest drivers and a problem persists. This is most likely a hardware problem but I'll describe it in case anyone else has encountered this and knows of a fix.

The laptop is a 5205-S703, and we're using Belkin Pre-N wireless PC-Card to access our wireless net. Clearly the problem involves this card. I've checked Belkin's support website and there is no sympton or fix for this as far as I can tell. Whenever the card is actively accessing the internet, the left speaker has a lot of static noise which seems to correspond to the signal transmit/receive lights on the wireless card. If the card is removed, the noise goes away. It does not matter where the volume is set, since even set to lowest, there is still the obnoxious static noise.

Anyone have anything to recommend? I did download the disassembly manual for this laptop and I'm adept at software, and can follow directions in working with hardware. Athough if this requires soldering or replacing small components I would defer to a local hardware repair shop.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a vault full of informational jewels!

Regards,

Micktick

PS-my vote finally counted on 11/7/2006!!!

Edited by micktick

Thanks for the kind words.

@ municipal: look at the title of this thread... G7 is Satellite 5x0x

@ sn0wl: still broken; will eventually fix it after our move to the US in summer or so

@ micktick: Pre-N PCMCIA, right? I would try the MiniPCI slot instead of PCMICIA. I haven't checked yet, but aren't there any Pre-N MiniPCI WLAN cards available on the market? No sound problems here with MiniPCI WLAN card (abg).

Correct @@@, Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA. Strangely, we've used this in my wife's 5205-S503 without experiencing any static noise. So am wondering what's different that would cause this in the 5205-S703. The mini-wireless card runs so slow it's almost useless but maybe there's a faster card out there-thanks for the pointer.

Regards,

Micktick

Edited by micktick

Hello,

Excellent thread, this has been a great resource since I wiped my laptop for a fresh install.

I have a 5202-S503 and followed the posts here to update its BIOS and other drivers. I'm having a problem with Direct3D not working since the reinstall. I'm running WinXP Pro SP2, with the 72.14 drivers provided on this forum, and DirectX 9.0c installed.

The dxdiag tool's "Test Direct3D" feature attempts to bring up the DirectX logo in 3D mode and switches right back to desktop, saying "You cancelled the test by pressing a key." when I hadn't. I get a similar experience running a Direct3D game like World of Warcraft, where the game attempts to switch to 3D screen mode, but fails and minimizes the application back to desktop.

Prior to this reset, the laptop had no issues playing Direct3D games, so it can't be a hardware support problem.

Any ideas?

This issue pops up once or twice a year, but i forgot the soltuion. Have a look here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=s...st+pressing+key

http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=s...dxdiag+key+fail